Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Could you explain the differences between Rock Shox RL vs RLT vs RCT3 ?

I had a Fox RLC on my 26" bike and I liked the adjustments of rebound AND low speed compression. Now my new bike has an oem FOX CTD fork. I am considering upgrading my fork to a fork with a full range of low speed compression adjustments and a firm or lockout mode. How do these three forks compare?

RockShox SID RCT3

Rockshox RLT

RockShox SID RL

Can I adjust either of these forks low speed compression for normal trail use and then have a "flip or the lever" lockout mode? I will research the forks again, but the SRAM website isn't the most informative in description in how they actually work. What are the major differences between the above forks?

EDIT. After researching I realized I need to know how all three of these models compare in order to understand the Rock Shox forks.

thanks,

Last edited by morkys; 05-13-2013 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Needed to include RLT fork in comparison

Class Clown
    RL has lockout and LSC. There is also RLT that adds floodgate or "threshhold" adjustment. RCT3 I believe is similar to the new Fox with 3 quick adjustments between lockout, open and in between.
    Last edited by dundundata; 05-12-2013 at 10:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    RL has lockout and LSC. There is also RLT that adds floodgate or "threshhold" adjustment. RLT3 I believe is similar to the new Fox with 3 quick adjustments between lockout, open and in between.
    With either of the lockout or floodgate, when turning them on or off, you aren't messing with the low speed compression setting, are you? The description on the SRAM website of "low speed compression TO LOCK" gives the impression that in order to lockout the fork, I crank up the low speed compression. RLT sounds good. That is alot like the lockout adjust on my Fox RLC. So, RL, RLT and RCT3 all sound good. I am not keen on CTD with its lack of low speed compression or lockout adjust.

Class Clown
    With the RL and RLT there is 1 knob for compression. So you can set it full open or crank it up until you reach full lockout. The floodgate is a seperate dial. I just ordered an RLT myself to replace an RL. RCT3 has a seperate LSC adjust dial but I'm not too familar with it.
    Last edited by dundundata; 05-12-2013 at 10:24 PM.

mtbr member
    I've never ridden and RCT3, but I've seen photos of it. There appears to be more aluminum in the damper over the RLT. The biggest difference that I am aware of is there are shims for the high speed compression instead of just the spring tube. From my experience, the RLT is a very effective damper, especially the new DNA model.

Class Clown
    Well curiosity got the better of me and I found this topic where someone has a go at explaining RCT3

RockShox Fork "Platform" Setting

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ok, let me see if I understand this correctly:

Lockout on RL, you set the low speed compression to maximum, then to unlock, you return low speed compression to where you had set it for normal riding. Seems like you mess with compression setting to use lockout. No ON/OFF lockout lever.

Floodgate on the RLT seems to be an adjustable platform, which affects the lockout. Is this like Fox's lockout adjustment? The RLT specs say "External Floodgate and Lockout ". Does this mean the RLT has an independent "lockout" lever that does not require moving or changing your low speed compression setting?

RCT3 either trades off floodgate adjustment for 3 modes (Open, Platform, LOCK) or do you have floodgate adjustment and add 3 presets?

Do I understand this stuff correctly? If so, it sounds like the RLT is essentially similar in adjustment to my RLC. RCT3 is seems to either "limit" floodgate adjustment to 3 presets, or add 3 presets to floodgate adjustment.

Class Clown
    Correct about the RL however I believe the RLT works exactly the same as the RL except it has another dial for floodgate, so no seperate lockout switch. If full open the floodgate should have no effect. It's when compression is set higher (half?) all the way to lockout it comes into play. That's why I think they created RCT3 so you can keep a seperate LSC setting, but I think you are right in that it loses it's floodgate adjust in favor of 3 distinct settings. Of course gained is the seperate LSC dial.

My new RLT DNA damper is out for delivery today so I'll take some nice pictures of it and my RL when I make the swap.

Check out this thread and particulary the link back to mtbr at the bottom that has a detailed explanation.

BikeRadar.com ? View topic - rockshox floodgate

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    So in order to lock out the fork, you change LSC? So how do the pushloc remotes work for Rock Shox? Do they basically take your LSC from your setting to full lock and back to your setting again? That would work. Floodgate makes sense for use as a platform.

If the RLT can be remote lockout controlled, then that would work well, especially since you can adjust the floodgate, or platform at which the lockout works. I think an RLT with remote could be what I would like most. Gotta research more.

What?
    Any lock out on any fork or rear shock is achieved by closing the LSC port. The blow off of the lockout would be achieved by different forms of HSC

The RL damper has a LSC adjust that has 6 clicks from open to closed(locked out) with a preset floodgate(Floodgate controls the point at which the lock out breaks free and allows the fork to move)

The RLT damper has the exact same 6 click LSC to Lock adjuster, but has an adjustable floodgate

The RCT3 Damper has a 3 position setting. Fully open, Half way, and Locked out, with a separate LSC adjustment that works inline with the 3 position settings. It has a HSC shim stack and also a shimmed HSR (high speed rebound) shim stack.

The upgrade in rebound damper is enough to make the RCT3 damper the best choice of the 3. Personally, the older black box RLT Ti which also had the upgraded rebound damper was the best choice of the bunch, But I dont think they use it anymore.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The RCT3 is definitely worth getting.

Class Clown

New question here.

Got the RLT DNA damper in and took a bunch of pictures. Word of caution if you disassemble the damper there's a tiny spring and ball bearing that can go flying. This gives the compression dial noticeable clicks from open to lockout so not too difficult to return to a favorite setting. The floodgate turns quite a bit and makes a definite difference. I probably would have preferred the RCT3 for its 3 quick positions so if you can get that go ahead, especially if it is the only one that comes with the dual flow rebound damper (have one of those on the way).

For the RL damper you'll notice a large spring that is what makes it a remote damper so remove it and you have crown adjust. They also make an RL DNA damper, mine is the regular MoCo.

Damper Slideshow by builder111 | Photobucket
    Last edited by dundundata; 05-14-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Class Clown
    Well after spending some time getting to know the RLT DNA damper I am rather impressed. Once you find a good floodgate setting it's like butter. I am basically in the middle of the compression knob meaning about 3-clicks from either full open or lockout, so it's very easy to adjust. This keeps the fork from sagging too much from my weight (pedal bob, brake dive) without having to increase the PSI of the air spring, and still allows for the fork to easily get into it's travel on hits. Definitely going to be tinkering with the settings for awhile once I hit the local trails.

Haven't seen too many images of the RCT3 (can't wait till the R2D2 comes out) but this one shows it OK. Are those black stanchions? Sexy fork indeed.

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps7b6427f1.jpg

Class Clown
    Went out for my first trail ride with the new damper today. The difference is night and day. Not sure what the deal is with my RL damper, but you can see from the pics the ports at the bottom of the damper are a different design. The RL (blue ports) has 2 small openings to allow oil through, while the RLT has an opening on the side. I could never really tell the difference between full open and a high compression setting on the RL. Now I realize I am not comparing the RL DNA to the RLT DNA here, but I'm going to recommend the RLT anyway because the floodgate adjust is great to have.

Ok now on to the RLT DNA damper. My damper has 7 clicks total for the LSC, although the last 2 clicks are effectively the same and both put the fork in lockout, so I'm really dealing with 6 clicks. The way I set things up was to open up the floodgate all the way and put the LSC 6 clicks in to lockout. I then dialed the floodgate in until I got a good lockout.

I find running the LSC 2-3 clicks in works great for trail riding. 4 clicks in is good for road riding or smoother terrain or if you are going to be standing alot or climbing. 5 clicks in is effectively lockout with a little give, and 6 clicks in is the traditional full lockout. So really I'm only dealing with 3 clicks or so to go from trail ready to lockout, which makes for quick adjustments.

It's probably a little more difficult than the RCT3 as you have to be perceptive of the clicks, especially if you want to change up while going over rough stuff, but it's still a very easy to use and effective system.

I should be getting the BB rebound damper in the next few days so I'll post up the swap and some riding impressions.

BTW Does anyone have any good pics of the RCT3 damper?
    Last edited by dundundata; 05-15-2013 at 06:34 PM.

mtbr member
    I have the RCT3 damper on my Rev.

You have three positions: fully open, low speed compression adjust, full low-speed on (effectively, lock out).

Fully open is fully open. No additional low speed other than what is inherent in the damper moving oil around.

Middle setting activates the star on top of the damper. You can turn that to + or - to increase/decrease the low speed compression. If you run it fully on, it's not the same as the 'lock out' but pretty close. This is the setting you will ride in the vast majority of the time unless your trails are straight up and down with no braking on the way down.

Fully clockwise is position 3 and the very high 'platform' or low speed compression circuit. Not a lot to explain here.

Position 2 (lsc adjust) is where I ride pretty much all the time. It keeps the fork up in its travel and helps combat fork dive when braking or through berms, take-offs or g-outs.

The RCT3 also has the most oil of all choices you listed so, technically, SHOULD be the best performer over long descents and during heavy use of the fork.

All of the dampers are swap-able. My fork came with the XX damper (me no likey remotes) so I pulled it, checked the oil level and installed the RCT3 damper, which I like, obviously.

It's WAY easier to maintain than the Fox open bath or Fit dampers, to be sure. I think the RS dampers work just as well, at least for my needs. The ability to use them across platforms is sweet too.

Google image search for 'rockshox rct3 damper' pulls up tons of pics for you. SRAM has the oil levels info on their site for all the different dampers.

Enjoy!

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    I have the RCT3 damper on my Rev.

You have three positions: fully open, low speed compression adjust, full low-speed on (effectively, lock out).

Fully open is fully open. No additional low speed other than what is inherent in the damper moving oil around.

Middle setting activates the star on top of the damper. You can turn that to + or - to increase/decrease the low speed compression. If you run it fully on, it's not the same as the 'lock out' but pretty close. This is the setting you will ride in the vast majority of the time unless your trails are straight up and down with no braking on the way down.

Fully clockwise is position 3 and the very high 'platform' or low speed compression circuit. Not a lot to explain here.

Position 2 (lsc adjust) is where I ride pretty much all the time. It keeps the fork up in its travel and helps combat fork dive when braking or through berms, take-offs or g-outs.

The RCT3 also has the most oil of all choices you listed so, technically, SHOULD be the best performer over long descents and during heavy use of the fork.

All of the dampers are swap-able. My fork came with the XX damper (me no likey remotes) so I pulled it, checked the oil level and installed the RCT3 damper, which I like, obviously.

It's WAY easier to maintain than the Fox open bath or Fit dampers, to be sure. I think the RS dampers work just as well, at least for my needs. The ability to use them across platforms is sweet too.

Google image search for 'rockshox rct3 damper' pulls up tons of pics for you. SRAM has the oil levels info on their site for all the different dampers.

Enjoy!

mk
    I'm pretty sure the LSC works in the fully open position as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I'm pretty sure the LSC works in the fully open position as well.
    In fact I think it only works in the fully open position.

Class Clown
    I checked google images but I'm not impressed with the pics. Mostly it's just images of forks or bad angled pics of the damper.

So far I've heard some conflicting things about RCT3 from LSC only effecting certain positions to it effecting all 3.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    I checked google images but I'm not impressed with the pics. Mostly it's just images of forks or bad angled pics of the damper.

So far I've heard some conflicting things about RCT3 from LSC only effecting certain positions to it effecting all 3.
    Flow?s First Bite: Rockshox Revelation World Cup RCT3 | Flow Mountain Bike

Good explanation there. LSC only affects the completely open setting.

mtbr member
    Nope. The lsc absolutely does not work when the RCT3 is in fully open mode. That's why it's called 'fully open' not 'kinda fully open cuz low speed'.

I just verified that with my fork in the garage.

And the article is wrong, plain and simple. LSC only affects the middle setting.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    Nope. The lsc absolutely does not work when the RCT3 is in fully open mode. That's why it's called 'fully open' not 'kinda fully open cuz low speed'.

I just verified that with my fork in the garage.

And the article is wrong, plain and simple. LSC only affects the middle setting.

mk
    What year is your fork? My friends 2012 Dual Air Revelation RCT3 definitely works as the article describes.

mtbr member
    LSC works only in platform/trail mode for RCT3.
    There are also 13 levels of LSC instead of 6.
    2012 Scott Aspect 20 | SID RCT3 Dual-Air | SRAM x.9 2x9 Drivetrain

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    On the new Pike, the LSC does work in the fully open mode. From the SRAM Pike website:

"RCT3 features Open with an adjustable low speed compression, Pedal and Lock."

In my opinion, the reason the RCT3 is good is because it doesn't work like CTD.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    On the new Pike, the LSC does work in the fully open mode. From the SRAM Pike website:

"RCT3 features Open with an adjustable low speed compression, Pedal and Lock."

In my opinion, the reason the RCT3 is good is because it doesn't work like CTD.
    Not contradicting you, but can you link to where it says this? Since they came out the RCT3 damper only uses the LSC in Platform or 'Trail' mode, so I want to see which models this has changed for

EDIT: forgot the quote ~~ Having funny day
    2012 Scott Aspect 20 | SID RCT3 Dual-Air | SRAM x.9 2x9 Drivetrain

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast