Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Could you explain the differences between Rock Shox RL vs RLT vs RCT3 ?

I had a Fox RLC on my 26" bike and I liked the adjustments of rebound AND low speed compression. Now my new bike has an oem FOX CTD fork. I am considering upgrading my fork to a fork with a full range of low speed compression adjustments and a firm or lockout mode. How do these three forks compare?

RockShox SID RCT3

Rockshox RLT

RockShox SID RL

Can I adjust either of these forks low speed compression for normal trail use and then have a "flip or the lever" lockout mode? I will research the forks again, but the SRAM website isn't the most informative in description in how they actually work. What are the major differences between the above forks?

EDIT. After researching I realized I need to know how all three of these models compare in order to understand the Rock Shox forks.

thanks,

Last edited by morkys; 05-13-2013 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Needed to include RLT fork in comparison

Class Clown
    RL has lockout and LSC. There is also RLT that adds floodgate or "threshhold" adjustment. RCT3 I believe is similar to the new Fox with 3 quick adjustments between lockout, open and in between.
    Last edited by dundundata; 05-12-2013 at 10:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    RL has lockout and LSC. There is also RLT that adds floodgate or "threshhold" adjustment. RLT3 I believe is similar to the new Fox with 3 quick adjustments between lockout, open and in between.
    With either of the lockout or floodgate, when turning them on or off, you aren't messing with the low speed compression setting, are you? The description on the SRAM website of "low speed compression TO LOCK" gives the impression that in order to lockout the fork, I crank up the low speed compression. RLT sounds good. That is alot like the lockout adjust on my Fox RLC. So, RL, RLT and RCT3 all sound good. I am not keen on CTD with its lack of low speed compression or lockout adjust.

Class Clown
    With the RL and RLT there is 1 knob for compression. So you can set it full open or crank it up until you reach full lockout. The floodgate is a seperate dial. I just ordered an RLT myself to replace an RL. RCT3 has a seperate LSC adjust dial but I'm not too familar with it.
    Last edited by dundundata; 05-12-2013 at 10:24 PM.

mtbr member
    I've never ridden and RCT3, but I've seen photos of it. There appears to be more aluminum in the damper over the RLT. The biggest difference that I am aware of is there are shims for the high speed compression instead of just the spring tube. From my experience, the RLT is a very effective damper, especially the new DNA model.

Class Clown
    Well curiosity got the better of me and I found this topic where someone has a go at explaining RCT3

RockShox Fork "Platform" Setting

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ok, let me see if I understand this correctly:

Lockout on RL, you set the low speed compression to maximum, then to unlock, you return low speed compression to where you had set it for normal riding. Seems like you mess with compression setting to use lockout. No ON/OFF lockout lever.

Floodgate on the RLT seems to be an adjustable platform, which affects the lockout. Is this like Fox's lockout adjustment? The RLT specs say "External Floodgate and Lockout ". Does this mean the RLT has an independent "lockout" lever that does not require moving or changing your low speed compression setting?

RCT3 either trades off floodgate adjustment for 3 modes (Open, Platform, LOCK) or do you have floodgate adjustment and add 3 presets?

Do I understand this stuff correctly? If so, it sounds like the RLT is essentially similar in adjustment to my RLC. RCT3 is seems to either "limit" floodgate adjustment to 3 presets, or add 3 presets to floodgate adjustment.

Class Clown
    Correct about the RL however I believe the RLT works exactly the same as the RL except it has another dial for floodgate, so no seperate lockout switch. If full open the floodgate should have no effect. It's when compression is set higher (half?) all the way to lockout it comes into play. That's why I think they created RCT3 so you can keep a seperate LSC setting, but I think you are right in that it loses it's floodgate adjust in favor of 3 distinct settings. Of course gained is the seperate LSC dial.

My new RLT DNA damper is out for delivery today so I'll take some nice pictures of it and my RL when I make the swap.

Check out this thread and particulary the link back to mtbr at the bottom that has a detailed explanation.

BikeRadar.com ? View topic - rockshox floodgate

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    So in order to lock out the fork, you change LSC? So how do the pushloc remotes work for Rock Shox? Do they basically take your LSC from your setting to full lock and back to your setting again? That would work. Floodgate makes sense for use as a platform.

If the RLT can be remote lockout controlled, then that would work well, especially since you can adjust the floodgate, or platform at which the lockout works. I think an RLT with remote could be what I would like most. Gotta research more.

What?
    Any lock out on any fork or rear shock is achieved by closing the LSC port. The blow off of the lockout would be achieved by different forms of HSC

The RL damper has a LSC adjust that has 6 clicks from open to closed(locked out) with a preset floodgate(Floodgate controls the point at which the lock out breaks free and allows the fork to move)

The RLT damper has the exact same 6 click LSC to Lock adjuster, but has an adjustable floodgate

The RCT3 Damper has a 3 position setting. Fully open, Half way, and Locked out, with a separate LSC adjustment that works inline with the 3 position settings. It has a HSC shim stack and also a shimmed HSR (high speed rebound) shim stack.

The upgrade in rebound damper is enough to make the RCT3 damper the best choice of the 3. Personally, the older black box RLT Ti which also had the upgraded rebound damper was the best choice of the bunch, But I dont think they use it anymore.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The RCT3 is definitely worth getting.

Class Clown

New question here.

Got the RLT DNA damper in and took a bunch of pictures. Word of caution if you disassemble the damper there's a tiny spring and ball bearing that can go flying. This gives the compression dial noticeable clicks from open to lockout so not too difficult to return to a favorite setting. The floodgate turns quite a bit and makes a definite difference. I probably would have preferred the RCT3 for its 3 quick positions so if you can get that go ahead, especially if it is the only one that comes with the dual flow rebound damper (have one of those on the way).

For the RL damper you'll notice a large spring that is what makes it a remote damper so remove it and you have crown adjust. They also make an RL DNA damper, mine is the regular MoCo.

Damper Slideshow by builder111 | Photobucket
    Last edited by dundundata; 05-14-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Class Clown
    Well after spending some time getting to know the RLT DNA damper I am rather impressed. Once you find a good floodgate setting it's like butter. I am basically in the middle of the compression knob meaning about 3-clicks from either full open or lockout, so it's very easy to adjust. This keeps the fork from sagging too much from my weight (pedal bob, brake dive) without having to increase the PSI of the air spring, and still allows for the fork to easily get into it's travel on hits. Definitely going to be tinkering with the settings for awhile once I hit the local trails.

Haven't seen too many images of the RCT3 (can't wait till the R2D2 comes out) but this one shows it OK. Are those black stanchions? Sexy fork indeed.

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps7b6427f1.jpg

Class Clown
    Went out for my first trail ride with the new damper today. The difference is night and day. Not sure what the deal is with my RL damper, but you can see from the pics the ports at the bottom of the damper are a different design. The RL (blue ports) has 2 small openings to allow oil through, while the RLT has an opening on the side. I could never really tell the difference between full open and a high compression setting on the RL. Now I realize I am not comparing the RL DNA to the RLT DNA here, but I'm going to recommend the RLT anyway because the floodgate adjust is great to have.

Ok now on to the RLT DNA damper. My damper has 7 clicks total for the LSC, although the last 2 clicks are effectively the same and both put the fork in lockout, so I'm really dealing with 6 clicks. The way I set things up was to open up the floodgate all the way and put the LSC 6 clicks in to lockout. I then dialed the floodgate in until I got a good lockout.

I find running the LSC 2-3 clicks in works great for trail riding. 4 clicks in is good for road riding or smoother terrain or if you are going to be standing alot or climbing. 5 clicks in is effectively lockout with a little give, and 6 clicks in is the traditional full lockout. So really I'm only dealing with 3 clicks or so to go from trail ready to lockout, which makes for quick adjustments.

It's probably a little more difficult than the RCT3 as you have to be perceptive of the clicks, especially if you want to change up while going over rough stuff, but it's still a very easy to use and effective system.

I should be getting the BB rebound damper in the next few days so I'll post up the swap and some riding impressions.

BTW Does anyone have any good pics of the RCT3 damper?
    Last edited by dundundata; 05-15-2013 at 06:34 PM.

mtbr member
    I have the RCT3 damper on my Rev.

You have three positions: fully open, low speed compression adjust, full low-speed on (effectively, lock out).

Fully open is fully open. No additional low speed other than what is inherent in the damper moving oil around.

Middle setting activates the star on top of the damper. You can turn that to + or - to increase/decrease the low speed compression. If you run it fully on, it's not the same as the 'lock out' but pretty close. This is the setting you will ride in the vast majority of the time unless your trails are straight up and down with no braking on the way down.

Fully clockwise is position 3 and the very high 'platform' or low speed compression circuit. Not a lot to explain here.

Position 2 (lsc adjust) is where I ride pretty much all the time. It keeps the fork up in its travel and helps combat fork dive when braking or through berms, take-offs or g-outs.

The RCT3 also has the most oil of all choices you listed so, technically, SHOULD be the best performer over long descents and during heavy use of the fork.

All of the dampers are swap-able. My fork came with the XX damper (me no likey remotes) so I pulled it, checked the oil level and installed the RCT3 damper, which I like, obviously.

It's WAY easier to maintain than the Fox open bath or Fit dampers, to be sure. I think the RS dampers work just as well, at least for my needs. The ability to use them across platforms is sweet too.

Google image search for 'rockshox rct3 damper' pulls up tons of pics for you. SRAM has the oil levels info on their site for all the different dampers.

Enjoy!

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    I have the RCT3 damper on my Rev.

You have three positions: fully open, low speed compression adjust, full low-speed on (effectively, lock out).

Fully open is fully open. No additional low speed other than what is inherent in the damper moving oil around.

Middle setting activates the star on top of the damper. You can turn that to + or - to increase/decrease the low speed compression. If you run it fully on, it's not the same as the 'lock out' but pretty close. This is the setting you will ride in the vast majority of the time unless your trails are straight up and down with no braking on the way down.

Fully clockwise is position 3 and the very high 'platform' or low speed compression circuit. Not a lot to explain here.

Position 2 (lsc adjust) is where I ride pretty much all the time. It keeps the fork up in its travel and helps combat fork dive when braking or through berms, take-offs or g-outs.

The RCT3 also has the most oil of all choices you listed so, technically, SHOULD be the best performer over long descents and during heavy use of the fork.

All of the dampers are swap-able. My fork came with the XX damper (me no likey remotes) so I pulled it, checked the oil level and installed the RCT3 damper, which I like, obviously.

It's WAY easier to maintain than the Fox open bath or Fit dampers, to be sure. I think the RS dampers work just as well, at least for my needs. The ability to use them across platforms is sweet too.

Google image search for 'rockshox rct3 damper' pulls up tons of pics for you. SRAM has the oil levels info on their site for all the different dampers.

Enjoy!

mk
    I'm pretty sure the LSC works in the fully open position as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I'm pretty sure the LSC works in the fully open position as well.
    In fact I think it only works in the fully open position.

Class Clown
    I checked google images but I'm not impressed with the pics. Mostly it's just images of forks or bad angled pics of the damper.

So far I've heard some conflicting things about RCT3 from LSC only effecting certain positions to it effecting all 3.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I checked google images but I'm not impressed with the pics. Mostly it's just images of forks or bad angled pics of the damper.

So far I've heard some conflicting things about RCT3 from LSC only effecting certain positions to it effecting all 3.
    Flow?s First Bite: Rockshox Revelation World Cup RCT3 | Flow Mountain Bike

Good explanation there. LSC only affects the completely open setting.

mtbr member
    Nope. The lsc absolutely does not work when the RCT3 is in fully open mode. That's why it's called 'fully open' not 'kinda fully open cuz low speed'.

I just verified that with my fork in the garage.

And the article is wrong, plain and simple. LSC only affects the middle setting.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    Nope. The lsc absolutely does not work when the RCT3 is in fully open mode. That's why it's called 'fully open' not 'kinda fully open cuz low speed'.

I just verified that with my fork in the garage.

And the article is wrong, plain and simple. LSC only affects the middle setting.

mk
    What year is your fork? My friends 2012 Dual Air Revelation RCT3 definitely works as the article describes.

mtbr member
    LSC works only in platform/trail mode for RCT3.
    There are also 13 levels of LSC instead of 6.
    2012 Scott Aspect 20 | SID RCT3 Dual-Air | SRAM x.9 2x9 Drivetrain

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    On the new Pike, the LSC does work in the fully open mode. From the SRAM Pike website:

"RCT3 features Open with an adjustable low speed compression, Pedal and Lock."

In my opinion, the reason the RCT3 is good is because it doesn't work like CTD.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    On the new Pike, the LSC does work in the fully open mode. From the SRAM Pike website:

"RCT3 features Open with an adjustable low speed compression, Pedal and Lock."

In my opinion, the reason the RCT3 is good is because it doesn't work like CTD.
    Not contradicting you, but can you link to where it says this? Since they came out the RCT3 damper only uses the LSC in Platform or 'Trail' mode, so I want to see which models this has changed for

EDIT: forgot the quote ~~ Having funny day

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SmittyBit View Post
    Not contradicting you, but can you link to where it says this? Since they came out the RCT3 damper only uses the LSC in Platform or 'Trail' mode, so I want to see which models this has changed for

EDIT: forgot the quote ~~ Having funny day
    Charger Damper | Rockshox | SRAM

It's the explanation of the Charger damper. What I can say is that nowhere on the RS site does it say the LSC only works in Threshold mode. I think it works in all of them. LSC is not a Threshold.

mtbr member
    Nevermind, found it in the 'Charger Damper' section. Seems the new Pike has a different damper than all the other RCT3 forks in their lineup, now I'm curious about LSC in Open vs Platform..

Must check this fork out

EDIT: Posted just after yours, sorry ~~

But the LSC does only work in 'Platform' mode in all other RCT3 dampers, that is until 'Charger' makes it's way to all other RCT3's ~ likely soon I'd imagine.

EDIT Added to post

mtbr member
    Umm, on my 2012 RCT3 Revelation the LSC knob works quite well with the main knob in the open position.

I set the dual air spring to my weight and turned the LSC knob to minimize brake dive. Moving the damper to the middle 'trail' position of the three modes firms it up a good bit but its a far cry from saying that the LSC knob does nothing with the damper in the open position.

Seems like you can use the LSC knob on the top of the adjuster to combat brake dive and keep the fork riding high in its travel for general trail pedalling, then when things get gnarly bump the main knob up to the middle position to provide a bit more support for bigger/faster hits. Then use the third position for climbing to lock the fork out.

mtbr member
    The LSC dial doesn't affect brake dive in Open on any 2012 RCT3 damper, but I'm glad to hear it does on yours.
    I've had my SID stay in 'Platform' mode when switching to Open once or twice after an unexpected near-bottom, maybe your forks have something wrong internally.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just to clear up any confusion. The silver star LSC adjust has an effect in the open setting for all RCT3 models and a big one at that. Thats one of the reasons why I like this damper so much.

Some people mistake it as only working in the threshold setting because it does make a noticeable effect to the threshold blow off force. This makes sense though because LSC increases resistance to oil flow so the force needed to blow off is going to be higher or lower in the threshold setting depending on the LSC setting.

Here are some crappy pictures I took when I installed the damper. You can see two distinct pistons. The blue one is always active as there is no way for the oil to bypass it. You can see the shims and the needle port orifice which is adjusted with the LSC knob.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10864...94710035110049

mtbr member
    @Smittybit: You sure? Honestly I've got 2 dirt rides on it but played around a good bit on the pavement last week riding it around. Turning the silver LSC knob seemed to do a good job at minimizing brake dive . . . seems like a lot of misinformation about these dampers. Even worked when fine tuning on the trail and deciding that I wanted a bit more LSC and rebound when in Open to keep the fork up through rougher sections.

This fork is brand new and I hadnt even turned the open/threshold/lock knob until after I had the LSC set where I liked it.

mtbr member
    I've not taken apart my damper, but from these pictures it seems to that when switched from Open-Platform, the LSC is made effectual and non-effectual.

Between my '12 SID DA RCT3 and my buddies '12 Revs DA RCT3 we've never had any effect whatsoever with LSC on the Open mode.

The LSC doesn't affect Open. It affects low speed compression in Platform mode.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    @Smittybit: You sure? Honestly I've got 2 dirt rides on it but played around a good bit on the pavement last week riding it around. Turning the silver LSC knob seemed to do a good job at minimizing brake dive . . . seems like a lot of misinformation about these dampers. Even worked when fine tuning on the trail and deciding that I wanted a bit more LSC and rebound when in Open to keep the fork up through rougher sections.

This fork is brand new and I hadnt even turned the open/threshold/lock knob until after I had the LSC set where I liked it.
    I've just started posting here, but check out my first post, I've spent 8 months (seriously) tuning off/on with the RCT3, try this and see 'cause these forks really are retarded difficult to set right, totally contray in ways to other forks I've used.
    Considering all the mishmosh of info on this damper, I thought some peoples might get something out of what I figured out the hard way.

Anyways, check it out:
    Sid RCT3 Dual-Air Tuning Guide

EDIT, added a line of text

ALso, enjoy the forks, once you dial them in perfect, they will feel completely different than when they are out-of-box, like totally new forks.

EDIT: added some more haha

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Can someone just call Rock Shox today?

mtbr member
    I've tried calling twice back when the forks were new to me, they just refered me to some other place, which called me back two weeks later to refer me to some online guide, which helped not at all.. Test and go is the way, go by sag lines not pressure gauge, only way to dial these forks.

mtbr member
    @GTScoob:

Herp Derp, your have the Revs, not SID forks, the guide might not help other than a loose flow to tuning RCT3

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've not taken apart my damper, but from these pictures it seems to that when switched from Open-Platform, the LSC is made effectual and non-effectual.

Between my '12 SID DA RCT3 and my buddies '12 Revs DA RCT3 we've never had any effect whatsoever with LSC on the Open mode.

The LSC doesn't affect Open. It affects low speed compression in Platform mode.

I think the terminology can be confusing because LSC can be adjusted with the silver star adjuster AND the three position setting, they work in unison. HSC is preset by the shims on the blue piston AND the force of the plastic spring when in threshold and Lockout mode.

The oil has to get past the blue piston no matter the setting. It can go through a small port in the middle adjusted by the silver knob (LSC) or through the shim stack which opens up during HSC events.

The second piston (with the black O-Ring) is completely bypassed in the open setting like you said. In the threshold setting the ports on this black piston are completely closed by the little wings which attach to the blue piston essentially jacking up the LSC giving you a nice platform to pedal on. This platform opens up when the pressure compresses the plastic tube spring thing causing the wings to lift off the ports on the black piston thus letting oil through.

The lockout setting is exactly the same as threshold except that the spring has to compress more before the wings get pushed off the ports on the black piston.

Its a pretty smart design in that it gives you great performance in the open setting while still giving you easy access to a usable pedal platform.

Let me know if I can clear that up at all. Its tough to explain without holding it in your hand

mtbr member
    @GTScoob:

Herp Derp, your have the Revs, not SID forks, the guide might not help other than a loose flow to tuning RCT3
    Hmm. Same dampers, same rebound carts (same part numbers according to RS 2012 spare parts catalog). Only difference would be air pressure/sag. Damper setup should be the same except you might set yours up to be stiffer for racing and I'll set mine up to be trail efficient and big hit ready. Herp derp indeed.

mtbr member
    No doubt, This summer I'm planning to change out the seals and oil on my SIDs so hopefully I can get a good hands on feel for the damper.

Took a long time to figure them out, but man are they sweet now.

When I first started riding them, I had wished I went with RLTs, but now, no way.
    Platform is way nicer than LS standard compression dial, especially with 13 stops feels like I can tackle anything XC-aggresive-trail (I'm light).

mtbr member
    Yeah, my 2012 Rev RCT3 damper in open mode has no lsc adjustment. No doubt.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery

trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Mk, Have you ever looked at a rct3 damper, how else would the oil bypass the blue piston besides the shim stack and the port orifice which is very clearly adjusted by the silver LSC dial?

The blue piston does have a little free bleed even when the LSC dial is closed coming from the check valve which does not 100% cover the return ports as well as using a split ring for sealing which does not completely block flow such as an oring would, meaning the fork is not going to lock out with LSC dialed to maximum.

Regardless, on every RCT3 fork from sid to rev that I have felt, the difference between having the silver star LSC adjust completely open and completely closed, when in the open mode is noticeable in a parking lot squish test. Even more so on the trail where the fine tuning of the LSC that the RCT3 damper provides is most appreciated.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by croakies View Post
    Mk, Have you ever looked at a rct3 damper, how else would the oil bypass the blue piston besides the shim stack and the port orifice which is very clearly adjusted by the silver LSC dial?

The blue piston does have a little free bleed even when the LSC dial is closed coming from the check valve which does not 100% cover the return ports as well as using a split ring for sealing which does not completely block flow such as an oring would, meaning the fork is not going to lock out with LSC dialed to maximum.

Regardless, on every RCT3 fork from sid to rev that I have felt, the difference between having the silver star LSC adjust completely open and completely closed, when in the open mode is noticeable in a parking lot squish test. Even more so on the trail where the fine tuning of the LSC that the RCT3 damper provides is most appreciated.
    I would echo everything croakies said.

mtbr member
    Wonder if the oil levels are off on forks where people arent getting any LSC adjustment with the main threshold knob in the open position.

I normally am one to break open a new fork to check oil levels but decided to take a gamble and go ahead and start riding this NOS Revelation without any pre-service. My Lyrik was notably low on damper fluid and made the compression knob seem almost worthless, when topped off with the correct amount of fluid each click makes a large difference in feel.

mtbr member
    After hearing how adamant some of you are about the LSC making a notable diff. in Open, I think I'll bump up the rebuild to whenever I can get some replacement oil and a seal kit. Given the low oil amount in the Dual Airs, it may be that some shipping forks be at wrong levels. I hope that's not the case.

One thing that gives me pause is the new 'Charger' damper in the new RS Pike; in text I've read so far explaining the charger, the LSC dial will change compression for the Open position, whereas the Platform position is now static - the LSC does nothing in the Platform position it's preset. Seems like they wouldn't feel the need to point out it changes compression in the Open position if it did that already.

Class Clown
    Low oil is a definite possibility on a new fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Low oil is a definite possibility on a new fork.
    Definitely could be but if the damper oil was low then the lockout would not work either which doesn't seem to be where the confusion is coming from.

Smitty, I looked at the cutouts of the charger damper and it looks sweet! It seems that its going to be very similar to the RCT3. The open setting is the same sort of setup as RCT3 (Needle port + Shims) but I cant figure out how the threshold and lockout would work. Seems like it compresses the spring seen in this picture but I cant make sense of it.

Google Image Result for http://gp1.pinkbike.org/p5pb9394769/p5pb9394769.jpg

I guess ill just have to wait a few years until I can afford it (1,000$ )

mtbr member
    Sure do eh?
    Speaking of the lockout, how much travel squeaks out with your guy/gals RCT3 forks?
    I've been getting 18mm travel on lockout (100mm fork).
    After hearing about the lockout not working with low oil it got we wondering if this is a tad excessive. My buddies Revs seem to only have about 10mm, but my pressure is super low.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Around the time I asked this question, I emailed SRAM and they replied to each of my emails, quite soon after one at a time, with copious amounts of useful info. I can only assume it is regarding the 2013 forks.

Email 1:

Just wondering how the SID RCT3 RLT and RL forks compare.

Do the RLT or RL forks offer a lockout with a switch? The description of "low speed compression to lock" makes it sound like in order to lockout your RL or RLT fork, you have to change your low speed compression setting. To unlock, you revert your LSC settings back to where you had them before. Sounds awkward if I am understanding it correctly.

thanks in advance for any clarification.

Hello,

The RL Motion Control dampers offer an open position to lockout position. In between, you are able to incrementally close down the ports to slow down the movement of fluid, effectively adjusting your compression. This damper has a factory set floodgate which will open the damper to absorb any sharp or large hits.

The RLT motion control damper feature the same adjustments regarding compression and lockout as the RL, however, you are able to set the threshold of the floodgate manually. This allows the rider to determine how hard of a hit it will take to open the damper to absorb the impact before returning to the previous locked out state. This threshold is present through the entire range of compression adjustment.

The RCT3 damper works differently. There are three preset threshold positions that create a platform in the shock.

They are:
    1) Open for bump-gobbling performance
    2) Threshold for efficiency and moderate bump compliance
    3) Lock for ultimate pedaling efficiency

In addition, there is an independent low speed compression adjustment that determines how the fork reacts to initial hits.

All three dampers do offer a lockout via remote option. These do require a specific damper built to work in combination with a remote.

Cheers,

Nik Emerick
    SRAM USA Dealer Service

Email 2:

Thank-you. That is an excellent explanation of how the forks work. Three more questions.

1) Is the RCT3 the only fork of the three with a "...an independent low speed compression adjustment that determines how the fork reacts to initial hits. " ? The RL and RLT don't have this adjustment as it is preset?

All three have compression adjustment. On an XC fork, the compression adjustment is tuned towards the low speed. By adjusting the compression on the RL or RLT, you are slowing, or limiting, the compression of the fork. The same compression adjustment is what allows the fork to lockout by completely covering the ports. Only the RCT3, directly refers to this as a Low Speed Compression adjustment as it has a more refined system paired with it's threshold options.

2) The RCT3 has a different factory set floodgate preset for each of the three different positions and the RLT has a variable floodgate adjustment, correct?

Correct. The RCT3 can be thought of as having an open, middle, and very firm floodgate adjustment. This allows for easier on the fly adjustment compared to the RLT. Essentially, the engineers took what people like about the RLT compared to how they were using it and developed the RCT3 damper.

3) When, does the "independent low speed compression adjustment that determines how the fork reacts to initial hits..." in the RCT3 (or other fork if applicable) come into play? Is it only involved in the open platform setting, or does it come into play in the threshold and lock preset also?

The LSC on the RCT3 is effective in all three positions. Oil has to pass through the Compression valve before it reaches the Floodgate valve.

thank-you again for the excellent info,

Email 3:

What I don't understand about the RL and RLT is remote lock-out vs compression adjustment. If you tune your forks compression to how you like it for average trail riding, and you have a remote lockout, is lockout still achieved by changing the compression? Do you have to remember where you have it set for the unlocked setting that you tuned for your average trail riding? Or is the remote a separate method of locking out?

There is a PopLoc Adjust which allows you to adjust the compression on the remote. After releasing the lockout, the fork will revert to its previously adjusted Compression state.

Nik Emerick
    SRAM USA Dealer Service

That totally clears up my understanding. Most importantly is that last part. If I got a remote lockout for the RL or RLT, the non-lockout state of LSC is preserved when you un-lock the fork.

mtbr member
    So you finally cleared the murkies (or morkies sry couldn't help myself ) from this issue!
    Added Rep. -- this means I need to check my oil levels for sure!

Great job Morkies!

Class Clown
    The remote lockout is not very good though exception being perhaps the hydrolic XX. Unless you like ONLY 1 compression setting it's going to be nigh impossible to get back to your favorite setting. Yes it will bring you back and forth quickly between lockout and compression (when it's not sticking), but what if you want to adjust the compression? Well you are going to have to put the fork in lockout to be able to spin the little blue dial, which can turn quite a bit. I suppose you could mark the crown somehow to your favorite setting but it's a cumbersome setup. Plus the remote is simply not a quality part. The click system on the RLT crown works beautifully, and is easy and quick to change up on the fly.

As for the oil I would check it anyways mine was about 10ml short from the factory, lockout still worked but compression suffered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast