mtbr member
    May 2009

Converting 1" Threaded To 1 1/8" Threadless..?

Hello all! I recently upgraded my fork on my trail rig so the stock SR Suntour is collecting dust now.. My question is: Is it possible to convert a 1" threaded head tube to a 1 1/8" threadless and utilize my spare fork? I've done a little research and read about "quill" adapters? I know it'll require the fork to be cut at the very least, but i'm just interested in sprucing up my old GT Palomar as a project bike and getting rid of the ancient rigid factory fork and using my newer 100mm fork.. Thanks for any responses Yamaha72!
    [SIZE="4"]2010 Specialized P1 A.M.[/SIZE]
    Rockshox Reba SL Dual-Air
    WellGo MG-52 Flats
    Avid BB7's + Speed Dial 7's

Low Rep Count
    If you have a frame that has a 1" head tube on it, then you really can't stick a 1 1/8th steerer tube in there as far as I know. I mean, there won't be enough room for the bearings.

Yes, there are conversions to where you can use a quil style stem and what not but that is simply converting a threaded to a non-threaded set up not a full blown change in size of the steerer tube.

Former Bike Wrench
    You can't change steerer sizes to a larger diameter...you are stuck with 1" (though it can be changed to 1" threadless).

moaaar shimz
    1 1/8 is larger than 1.

'nuff said.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    1 1/8 is larger than 1.

'nuff said.
    Well, yea, that's common sense haha.

My thought was that the headtubes were the same size in outer diameter; but that the inner "insert" would be different in configuration.. I guess that's not the case. Thanks anyhow, now I understand.
    [SIZE="4"]2010 Specialized P1 A.M.[/SIZE]
    Rockshox Reba SL Dual-Air
    WellGo MG-52 Flats
    Avid BB7's + Speed Dial 7's

moaaar shimz
    Hahaha yeah

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    If you had a RST fork you could change the steering tube to either a 1" threaded or threadless:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK409Z20-Rst+Steerer+Tubes.aspx

Marzocchi still makes a fork with a 1" threadless steering tube:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47611
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Marzocchi_MX_Pro_Lo_1_Inch_Suspension_Fork_2010/5360048066/

mtbr member
    I'm not sure people understood your question. Your older GT has a 1" threaded fork on it. The only thing preventing you from changing out to a 1 1/8" threadless fork is the head tube diameter. Without removing the fork and headset, you can only guess (unless the outer diameter of the head tube is 1 1/8 or smaller). I swapped the fork on my 1998 Gary Fisher without problems, for example. All that is needed is a fork with sufficient steerer length, a new headset, and a new stem.

mtbr member
    Can you switch the steerer in all rst forks? Specifically the rst first platinum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rupps5
    Can you switch the steerer in all rst forks? Specifically the rst first platinum.
    If it has pinch bolts that allow you to loosen the steerer...