Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Wil109
    Hi jvaughn75,

Like you I screwed up my shim stack by not having it tight enough. Even lost one of the medium sized shims due to damage.

Check this link out, I tried to follow the stack setup as closely as possible and find that I get decent rebound damping, I know its a different shock size and a dhx 5.0 but you gotta start somewhere.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=132295

I don't think its quite the same as the stock setup but I quite like it. I'm due to service my shock in a few weeks and will post my shim stack on a separate thread in this forum. I think it would be interesting to catalogue the different setups.

Would be super handy to have others post to it.

Good luck,

Wil
    [SIZE=1]I love my bike and my bike loves me[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wil109
    Hi jvaughn75,

Like you I screwed up my shim stack by not having it tight enough. Even lost one of the medium sized shims due to damage.

Check this link out, I tried to follow the stack setup as closely as possible and find that I get decent rebound damping, I know its a different shock size and a dhx 5.0 but you gotta start somewhere.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=132295

I don't think its quite the same as the stock setup but I quite like it. I'm due to service my shock in a few weeks and will post my shim stack on a separate thread in this forum. I think it would be interesting to catalogue the different setups.

Would be super handy to have others post to it.

Good luck,

Wil
    Thanks for the info. I re-did my shim stack yesterday, following the picture in this post as best as I could (some of the shims are different sizes). Rebound is pretty slow, even on the fastest rebound setting, but it will work for now. However, my compression is like the guy's the forum you posted, soft over small bumps and stiff for the big hits. It might just take a little getting used to, but I think I will like this way. The only thing I would change now is the make the rebound more adjustable, but that will wait for the next rebuild.

I would post the dimensions of my shims and the order, but I do not have a dial caliper (yet). I will pick one up someday and measure them and post back here. Thanks again for the tip!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    how about the vanilla RC...can you show me the rebuild on that bad boy...thanks
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane
    Are you referring to the old van RC's from the early 2000's or the new 2011 VAN RC?

If your referring to the new one, the rebuild should be almost identical to the DHX, as they are built off of the same chassis.

HOWEVER

the thing stopping me from recommending you do it is that the VAN RC has no air valve, it has a nitro charge in it, and to refill this, you need a special adaptor to fill the gas through a rubber plug

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_M2R
    Are you referring to the old van RC's from the early 2000's or the new 2011 VAN RC?

If your referring to the new one, the rebuild should be almost identical to the DHX, as they are built off of the same chassis.

HOWEVER

the thing stopping me from recommending you do it is that the VAN RC has no air valve, it has a nitro charge in it, and to refill this, you need a special adaptor to fill the gas through a rubber plug
    yeah, i'm talking the older vanilla rc's...i bet you have a special tool built for the N2 charge, a pic of that would be nice...some kind of syringe needle i bet...oh and what do you use for the rubber plug
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

....just cruisin through

DHX Convert 2.0 to 2.25

So I have a 2008 DHX 5.0 that is 7.875 X 2.0. I just bought a 2008 DHX 3.0 that is 7.875 X 2.25 (yes, this will work with my frame) My question is this:

I am going to remove the body and piston shaft from the 3.0 and put it onto the piggyback reservoir of the 5.0 so that I still have PP and bottom out. Your guide shows great detail about opening up the bottom out chamber so that I can bleed at the end, and removing the main piston, but does not state how to remove the shock body (from the end of the shock body where it transfers from "silver threading" of the shock body to black housing of the piggyback). Do I just need to clamp the eyelets into a vice and unscrew the body with a strap wrench? What I am trying to achieve is shown below (shock body that houses the piston removed from the black piggyback chamber:The Complete Fox DHX 3/4/5 Service Thread-version-4-dhx-service-guide2.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers.....

mtbr member
    May 2005

Pushed DHX 5.0

Does anybody know if Pushed DHX 5.0 needs special o-rings or special service? I've scheduled to complete the rebuild during next month or so, but first I need to obtain all the needed o-rings.
    My shock hasn't been leaking, but I've been running it for 3 years with no service. I guess there's no option to rebuild it without replacing the o-rings?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by d-dsn
    Does anybody know if Pushed DHX 5.0 needs special o-rings or special service? I've scheduled to complete the rebuild during next month or so, but first I need to obtain all the needed o-rings.
    My shock hasn't been leaking, but I've been running it for 3 years with no service. I guess there's no option to rebuild it without replacing the o-rings?

Thanks!
    Quoting myself,
    I emailed TFTuned and asked about differences in o-rings between Fox and Push. Dimensions are identical, but Push uses o-rings with higher quality material and they should give better sealing.
    Long story short, Pushed DHX CAN be rebuild with standard Fox-sized o-rings.

Does anyone have a slightest idea about the "standard" or "better" rubber materials used in o-rings? If I'd just go to a o-ring retailer and ask seals for suspension, which type (material) of seals are they offering me?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d-dsn
    Quoting myself,
    I emailed TFTuned and asked about differences in o-rings between Fox and Push. Dimensions are identical, but Push uses o-rings with higher quality material and they should give better sealing.
    Long story short, Pushed DHX CAN be rebuild with standard Fox-sized o-rings.

Does anyone have a slightest idea about the "standard" or "better" rubber materials used in o-rings? If I'd just go to a o-ring retailer and ask seals for suspension, which type (material) of seals are they offering me?
    FWIW: Standard and better are relative terms given the application. Tables of materials and applications are all over the internet (for example: http://www.marcorubber.com/material_chart.htm)

You could take the rings from the TFTuned shock into the o ring shop (find a good quality industrial supply shop) when you service it. They should be able to tell the material type.

Otherwise suggest calling TFTuned and asking the oring material types. They may not tell you as I suspect what materials they use and where, is proprietary (ie from their lots of research they may have determined which oring material works best in which location). Do TFTuned sell a service kit?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrazm
    So I have a 2008 DHX 5.0 that is 7.875 X 2.0. I just bought a 2008 DHX 3.0 that is 7.875 X 2.25 (yes, this will work with my frame) My question is this:

I am going to remove the body and piston shaft from the 3.0 and put it onto the piggyback reservoir of the 5.0 so that I still have PP and bottom out. Your guide shows great detail about opening up the bottom out chamber so that I can bleed at the end, and removing the main piston, but does not state how to remove the shock body (from the end of the shock body where it transfers from "silver threading" of the shock body to black housing of the piggyback). Do I just need to clamp the eyelets into a vice and unscrew the body with a strap wrench? What I am trying to achieve is shown below (shock body that houses the piston removed from the black piggyback chamber:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VERSION 4 - DHX Service guide2.jpg 
Views:	2255 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	571209
    Hi mate
    Sorry for the late reply

With regards to removing the the body, first i would check to see it the body is the same length, because i have a suspicion that the body of the 2 shocks will be the same, but the shafts will be different (one will be slightly long)

I had the same issue as you, the i have a 8.5/2.5 DHX 5 but the new bighit 2 frame i got came with a 8.75/2.75 shock, but i found the body was the same on the two, and only the shafts differed, so its a simple matter of just removing the shock from the old one, swapping the piston and shims over, the reinstalling it into the new one

Otherwise to remove it, you would need to make some shaft clamps out of some hardwood, tighten her up good, heat the area were the bridge and body join (and when i say heat, i mean GENTLY heat) then use a breaker bar through the top eyelet and unscrew it

Hope this helps!

Im a Cowboy
    Great Job on the guide Nick

MODS!!!........................why the hell isnt this a sticky????????
    DON'T TELL ME I'M STILL ON THAT FECKIN' ISLAND! ....

....just cruisin through
    Hi mate
    Sorry for the late reply

With regards to removing the the body, first i would check to see it the body is the same length, because i have a suspicion that the body of the 2 shocks will be the same, but the shafts will be different (one will be slightly long)

I had the same issue as you, the i have a 8.5/2.5 DHX 5 but the new bighit 2 frame i got came with a 8.75/2.75 shock, but i found the body was the same on the two, and only the shafts differed, so its a simple matter of just removing the shock from the old one, swapping the piston and shims over, the reinstalling it into the new one

Otherwise to remove it, you would need to make some shaft clamps out of some hardwood, tighten her up good, heat the area were the bridge and body join (and when i say heat, i mean GENTLY heat) then use a breaker bar through the top eyelet and unscrew it

Hope this helps!
    Right on! Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately they DO have different lengths in the shaft and the body. They are the same i2i length, so with the different travel the 7.875 X 2.25 stroke has a shorter body and longer shaft than the 7.875 X 2.0 stroke. I rode the 7.875 X 2.25 stroke this weekend (the 3.0) and I think I am only going to steal the bottom out adjuster from the 5.0 and add it to the 3.0 (thus making it a 4.0, but with bottom out instead of the propedal). Changing over the bottom out adjuster will be a piece of cake as I will not have to bleed the thing (I don't have to remove the IFP). Thanks again for all your help and an incredible tutorial!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Not sure if this is the correct place to ask? I've a DHX 3 and it seems to be losing air. I've stuck in a bucket of water and there is a very small re occurring bubble around the bottom of the valve where it screws into the piggy back body. It's not in the PDF as far as I can see. Would there be a seal in there to replace or could I use something to put on the theads to seal the leak? I don't think loctite is a good idea? or plumbers tape for that matter? I presume there is no harm in remvoing the valve once de pressurised either?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hey everyone,

Just completed the DHX 5.0 rebuild for my 2006 model. It went reasonably well. The shock is performing like new again. I wanted to share some info.

1) I used 10w Motul(medium) Motorcycle Suspension Oil and it seems to be working well.
    2) The hydraulics industrial supply store I sourced the o-rings from gave me a pretty detailed invoice so I'm providing the size of o-ring and step it is from. I didn't replace every o-ring because I didn't take the two tubes off of the black top bit and I wasn't able to source two that I did have access to; a) the o-ring on the back side of the Propedal piece held in by the snap ring and b) the little o-ring on the end of the main shaft on the rebound adjuster end.

All o-rings are imperial sizes and made of 70 durometer nitrile rubber. ID = inner diameter, OD = outer diameter

Step 8:
    Main Shaft O-ring: ID. 1/2 OD. 3/4 (industry ID code 2-206)
    Shaft housing O-ring: ID. 1 OD. 1-1/8 (industry ID code 2-022)

Step 10 -70/71:
    Black bottom-out plunger O-ring: ID.7/8 OD. 1-1/6 (industry ID code 2-118)
    Grey bottom-out housing inner O-ring: ID. 11/16 OD. 13/16 (industry ID code 2-017)

Step 11:
    IFP O-ring: ID. 13/16 OD. 1-1/16 (industry ID code 2-211)
    Grey bottom-out housing O-ring: ID. 1 OD. 1-1/8 (industry ID code 2-022)

I bought 5 of each and it cost me $9 with tax. Lucky for me the orange/yellow dust seal is in good shape as I was not able to find a replacement.

Hope you find this helpful.

p.s. don't mess up that shim stack order!

earide
    Aug 2009
    Increasing the depth will increase the volume of the boost valve, making the shock more linear.
    Decreasing the depth will decrease the volume of the boost valve, making the shock more progressive

But be warned, you have to make sure you dont push it to deep (causing it to hit the top of the resi, or to shallow (will knock on the boost valve cap)
    hello Nick
    first, thanks a lot for these guide and updates !!!!
    my question is about IFP depth
    I put the right deph you're advising, pump my dhx 4.0 at 140psi and mount it without spring on my bike: OK the shock goes on the max of it's travel
    but when I'm riding and tacking big hits (like big freeride landings) I can see that the shock stops everytime on around 1.5" from the max travel
    do you think that with high speed compressions, there is a larger volume of oil that push the IFP and then it hits the top of the boost valve cap?

Secondly how did you separate the boost valve carboy from the main shock body?

sorry for my bad english cause I'm french haha
    thanks again !
    Adrien

earide
    Aug 2009
    Hi mate
    Sorry for the late reply

Hope this helps!

Hello Nick
    in the IFP body (excepted IFP travel adjustment), is there something to tune by ourself to improving high speed compression resistance and lowering slow speed resistance (propedal)?
    because I'm looking for better sensitivity and a better high speed braking at the same time... but I've never separated the IFP body from the main shock body, so I don't know what's inside and what's possible to customize !

thanks a lot
    Adrien

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ehrhard
    Hello Nick
    in the IFP body (excepted IFP travel adjustment), is there something to tune by ourself to improving high speed compression resistance and lowering slow speed resistance (propedal)?
    because I'm looking for better sensitivity and a better high speed braking at the same time... but I've never separated the IFP body from the main shock body, so I don't know what's inside and what's possible to customize !

thanks a lot
    Adrien
    Hi Adrien!

One thing ive heard of doing is removing the propedal spring, which turns it into a platformless style shock, which will drastically increase its sensitivity, however i have never performed nor know the complete procedure on how to do it properly.

Other than that you will probably have to start mucking with the shim stack, which im in the process of learning how to do, but until ive cracked it, im not gonna give much advce on it because i dont wanna risk giving the wrong advice and damaging your shock

Your only 100% reliable option is to send it to PUSH industries, hope this helps

earide
    Aug 2009
    Hi Adrien!

One thing ive heard of doing is removing the propedal spring, which turns it into a platformless style shock, which will drastically increase its sensitivity, however i have never performed nor know the complete procedure on how to do it properly.

Other than that you will probably have to start mucking with the shim stack, which im in the process of learning how to do, but until ive cracked it, im not gonna give much advce on it because i dont wanna risk giving the wrong advice and damaging your shock

Your only 100% reliable option is to send it to PUSH industries, hope this helps
    Thanks Nick
    i'm going to see it, can you explain me a bit more how access to the propedal spring? do we have to unmount the reservoir from the main shock body (in that case how)?

I've read again your dhx servicing manual, you talked about that, but I'm sorry I didn't understand quite well (I'm french) sorry haha

thanks a lot

mtbr member
    Great How-To! I will have to do this before long.

One thing though, you said to "Reinflate the boost valve to a minimum of 125PSI." Is that correct? The manual that came with my 2006 DHX 5.0 says a Maximum of 125 PSI.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I can supply a set of shore A 70 Buna (AKA; oil resistent o-rings, the type you want) for 08 or later not sure if set will work with older. PM if interested. Same disclaimers apply of course

order here on MTBR
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...?product=62674
    Last edited by gusvar; 03-31-2011 at 03:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane
    They're not as user-friendly to rebuild as the DHX. Not only due to the missing schrader valve but also there's no bleed screw in the middle of the floating piston. I also had problems with the shock body and reservoir body unscrewing instead of the caps unscrewing. I had to make some collet-clamps to hold them tightly without damage.

But otherwise all the same methods apply, if you can rebuild one you can rebuild the other. You can make an air needle from a syringe needle, a ball needle and some epoxy. But you need to crimp the ends otherwise they simply take a core-sample from the rubber plug and block themselves up.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jvaughn75
    Thanks for the info. I re-did my shim stack yesterday, following the picture in this post as best as I could (some of the shims are different sizes). Rebound is pretty slow, even on the fastest rebound setting, but it will work for now. However, my compression is like the guy's the forum you posted, soft over small bumps and stiff for the big hits. It might just take a little getting used to, but I think I will like this way. The only thing I would change now is the make the rebound more adjustable, but that will wait for the next rebuild.

I would post the dimensions of my shims and the order, but I do not have a dial caliper (yet). I will pick one up someday and measure them and post back here. Thanks again for the tip!
    Turning the single stage stack into a dual stage. It can have some benefits but also some big downsides. It greatly reduces low speed compression damping (i.e. more wallow) but keeps most of your high speed compression damping. The result works best for a shock that deals with the extremes, light damping at low shaft speeds (follows small rolling bumps okay) but still takes a lot of energy out of fast hits.

But there are a lot of situations it doesn't work well in, like those with a lot of short sharp impacts. In those it ends up wallowing due to the riders body movements and then spiking over all the bumps. You can find it wasting a lot of the travel due to undulations rather than bumps.

Just remember low speed damping does not equal small bumps only and high speed damping does not equal big hits only. We're dealing with a whole spectrum of terrain where small high speed impacts and large low speed impacts both exist. It's about tuning the shock to fit where and how you ride.

For where and how I like to ride a digressive shim stack on both compression and rebound works best. I tried multi-stage shim-stacks a few years ago and found the wallow-spike-wallow-wallow-spike didn't do it for me.
    The digressive stacks give lots of stability due to the higher low speed compression and let the suspension react a lot quicker than stock in both compression and rebound. It works for me.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    OK guys, have got a few emails regarding people having issues with the original link

I have uploaded the file to my own website which i am in the process of creating
    MTBMechanics.webs.com which has all of my guides in one place, plus reviews of various products. Please note it is not fully finished yet, but i hope to have it all done soon

LINK

http://mtbmechanics.webs.com/foxdhxcoilrebuild.htm

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hello,

I saw a DHX rebuild kit on eBay. Does anybody know if that kit is complete or any good? Has anybody here actually used that kit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fox-DHX-3-4-5-co...#ht_770wt_1139

I'm contemplating doing the rebuild myself since the cost to send it out seems quite absorbent.

Thanks.

mtb junkie
    i have bought a fox dhx 5.0 pushed for 180 lbs rider. i am 210-220. do you think i will have problems?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast