mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Coil or Air? which would be more suitable.....

I am building a 26r f/S bike. I am replacing the garbage rear shock with something a little less crappy. Would you pick coil or air for a replacement? I need 180mm but can only find 190s. the extra 10mm would not make a huge difference in setting up the bike I don't think...

General thoughts?

mtbr member
    Adding a shock with a longer i2i than what the frame was designed for can cause a couple of issues, you could have the wheel hit the seator the frame under full compression, the seat & head angles will get steeper and the bottom bracket height can get messed up as well.
    Also, there is no guarantee that you will even be able to fit the shock in anyway, as some frames won't take a longer shock at all.
    What frame (brand) are you building up?
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    the travel does not equal the length of the shock. you need to know the eye to eye measurement and the stroke.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Adams View Post
    I am building a 26r f/S bike. I am replacing the garbage rear shock with something a little less crappy. Would you pick coil or air for a replacement? I need 180mm but can only find 190s. the extra 10mm would not make a huge difference in setting up the bike I don't think...

General thoughts?
    I don't know without knowing the leverage ratio curve. What is the leverage ratio curve?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    All I know is that the eye to eye is 180mm. The "stroke" I can measure on the bike is about 1" and the spring says it's a 750 lb spring. That's what's wrote on it anyways. IT is void of damping, and uses no where near that 1 inch of stroke....

The frame is a Kranked aluminum 26" frame. It came from Canadian tire, it's not High quality by any means but I can make it much better than it is right now.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Adams View Post
    All I know is that the eye to eye is 180mm. The "stroke" I can measure on the bike is about 1" and the spring says it's a 750 lb spring. That's what's wrote on it anyways. IT is void of damping, and uses no where near that 1 inch of stroke....

The frame is a Kranked aluminum 26" frame. It came from Canadian tire, it's not High quality by any means but I can make it much better than it is right now.
    Ah. I doubt you are going to find any 1" stroke shocks, because it's not a standard used by the mountain biking industry. Those department store bikes usually do not conform to current mountain bike standards. They are not mountain bikes and not recommended for off-road use, even though they design and paint them to look similar.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This is a Kranked Factor or similar? Pretty much what Jayem said.

I'd recommend against bothering with building up that bike. Frankly, a used shock of any quality will probably cost more than that bike's worth. I wouldn't expect much in terms of ride quality regardless of what shock you manage to fit on it.

If it's your only bike and the budget's too tight for anything else right now, I'd cautiously ride it as-is (if you can without spending any money) and start planning for its replacement.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yes, it is a factor 26. NO. This is a play toy. Something to build for fun...Just to see what I can make out of it. I'm not going expensive etc on it....just wondering if there is anything to fit in there to smooth out the rear a little.

I have a specialized as my trail ripper....this is a wrenching project for fun. If there is ANYTHING I can throw in there, I will...ha ha!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ha ha ha...I swapped out the bars and saddle to a couple of extras I had laying around the shop.....saved 1.06 lbs, just on that swap itself. I should have 10 lbs off this bike when I am done for sure!!!