mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Good job! Choice of vintage forks RockShox Mag 21 Quadra 21R >>>>

I have an older bike with a 1 inch steer tube that I would like to put a vintage suspension fork on. I have a choice of the RockShox Mag 21 or the Quadra 21R. Which one would be the best of the 2 and why ?? Thanks for any info.

Team Chilidog!
    I think the Quadra has elastomers. The Mag 21 I know is air/oil, and I used to have one of those until I destroyed it
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Former Bike Wrench
    Back when parts were readily available, the Mag 21 would have been my choice hands down. A very tuneable fork using different oil weights and heights combined with infinitely adjustable air spring. I know Enduro Seals still has inner seals for these, but parts are getting rare. The Q21R is much less tuneable but there is a site for replacement MCU/Elastomers so the ease of getting parts may make the Q21R a better choice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Back when parts were readily available, the Mag 21 would have been my choice hands down. A very tuneable fork using different oil weights and heights combined with infinitely adjustable air spring. I know Enduro Seals still has inner seals for these, but parts are getting rare. The Q21R is much less tuneable but there is a site for replacement MCU/Elastomers so the ease of getting parts may make the Q21R a better choice.

Thanks for the info. Since this old bike only has a 1" head tube my choices are really limited. I may just go with the Quadra 21R and get that kit on the link you listed. Much easier to service and less messy I still would like to hear from other people of what they think. Thanks !!!

Dozer
    I rode a Q21R for about 3 years. While it may not be the lightest or longest-travel fork out there, it was extremely durable and essentially required no maintenance. I, too, chose it because my old rig was a 1" steer-tube hardtail and I wanted something to smooth out a few bumps on the trail. I have since purchased a much more modern bike, and converted that old steel hardtail to a fully rigid commuter, but I was able to sell the old Q21R on eBay for almost as much as I paid for it 3 years ago. Good luck finding ANY 1" fork for a reasonable price!

All 26.5" all the time!
    It depends on how much performance you're after. The Mag 21 is a better fork than the Q21R in every way.

cbx
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've tuned, rebuilt and ridden both. The Q21R will definitely be easier to maintan. I'd still recommend using dust boots with both. I would sometimes use Phil's tenacious oil for the bushings surrounding the stanchion tubes on the Q21. The Mag on the other hand has alot you can can do with it...I'd likely go with the Mag just because of it's root like connection to some of today's technology. Find someone who has the tools and the talent to tweak with it ...you'll love it.

mtbr member
    listen to Zanetti. good luck finding parts for either, but the quadra's mcu/elastomers are likely to be shot & hard find. rebuild kits for the mag's are a bit easier to come by.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have a Bridgestone XO-2 that I just picked up for $50 and since it has a 1inch headset I was thinking of putting my old RockShox Mag 21 on it that also has a 1 inch steertube. I plan on just street riding this bike. I have heard people mention this place to send it too:

http://www.hippiesuspension.com/hippietechsuspension/

Has anyone had any experience with them ??? Thanks for any info.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    but the quadra's mcu/elastomers are likely to be shot & hard find.
    Not really
    http://suspensionforkparts.net/eshop...d&productId=46

mtbr member
    good to know that they can be found, but the mag is still a better fork

Hippietech does good work, depending on how busy they are, it may take 'em a while to do your fork, from what I hear.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Hippietech does good work, depending on how busy they are, it may take 'em a while to do your fork, from what I hear.
    From the threads I've been reading (and my limited experience trying to get a hold of them) I'd be avoiding those guys. I think they take the "hippie" in "hippietech" in all the wrong ways.

Former Bike Wrench
    Which I clearly stated in my first post which also had the link I've now provided twice for the Q21R Elastomers (hint: read all the posts before making comments)

mtbr member
    Which I clearly stated in my first post which also had the link I've now provided twice for the Q21R Elastomers (hint: read all the posts before making comments)
    yabut that was 3 days ago
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    From the threads I've been reading (and my limited experience trying to get a hold of them) I'd be avoiding those guys. I think they take the "hippie" in "hippietech" in all the wrong ways.
    yes, it's been years since I've dealt with them, but they worked at their own "pace" then too

for the OP- richieb on the VRC board works on mag's and seems to have a stash of rebuild parts. I sent him a few mag forks a while back when I was clearing out excess bike stuff, so he could rebuild/use 'em for parts.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the info everyone !!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Where can I get a suspension fork with a 1 inch steer tube?

Where did you get your suspension fork?

Dozer
    Ebay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i had a mag 21 back in the day with a white bros kit (judd springs and a hardbody), it was a pretty nice fork, i wonder if you could still get the white bros kit? Come to think of it, I also had a replacement arch on it, I think it was a "wishbone" brand or something like that. I was going to buy these replacement carbon tubes but ended up buying a White Brothers sc70. That mag 21 almost ended up like abe lincoln's axe

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    hmmm, just found this site, about half-way down it's got all kinds of stuff for the mag 21, but keep in mind i didn't do any research on the site, just a quick search for "white bros hardbody"

http://www.bikepro.com/ad_copy/forks.html

edit: oops, maybe it was a judy I had, not a mag 21...it was 10 years ago, my memory is going going gone