mtbr member
    Mar 2013

checking the tyre clearance on fox talas RL fork

Hi

I've just upgraded to a Talas RL fork and am trying to check the tyre clearance when the fork is fully compressed. Previously I'd been using a fox float 100 FIT terralogic and checking the clearance had been straightforward, just let out all the air and then very little force was required for it to bottom out. However on the Talas RL I really have to apply alot of force to get it to bottom out, and even then I'm not 100% sure it has. Is there more to checking the clearance on the Talas than just letting out the air (for example some adjustment to the travel adjust or the rebound?). I'd like to be sure I've got this right as I only had a couple of mm clearance on the float fork but on the Talas it's more like 10-15mm which would allow me to run the larger tyre, I just wouldn't want to get it wrong....

Many thanks.

More Torque
    Sounds simple, but you triple checked that all of the air was out of the fork, and that it was not in the locked position? Did you also try it in both travel positions, in order to make sure that nothing in the travel adjust mechanism was sticking? How much clearance do you have at the brake arch?

-D

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for getting back. I hadn't quite squeezed all the air out.
    I've only got 1 or 2mm clearance, enough but I think I'll have to get a bumper installed before going any bigger. I've read a few times that the older fox forks never compress all the way but I'm not sure I want to put it to the test, risk vs reward and all that.