mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Checked fork pressure upside down, sprayed in face with oil, fork now locked up

I must have been having some brain issues last night, as I attempted to check the pressure on my 2014 Manitou Marvel Expert while the bike was hanging upside down from the garage ceiling. I was promptly sprayed in the face with semi-bath oil, and now the fork is locked up and won't move, even with no pressure in the air spring.

I was going to have to take the fork apart anyway to lower it from 120mm to 100mm, so I'm not concerned about having to do any disassembly. I just want to make sure that I didn't somehow damage the fork in any way. What would be causing is to lock up and not move?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by savechief View Post
    I must have been having some brain issues last night, as I attempted to check the pressure on my 2014 Manitou Marvel Expert while the bike was hanging upside down from the garage ceiling. I was promptly sprayed in the face with semi-bath oil, and now the fork is locked up and won't move, even with no pressure in the air spring.

I was going to have to take the fork apart anyway to lower it from 120mm to 100mm, so I'm not concerned about having to do any disassembly. I just want to make sure that I didn't somehow damage the fork in any way. What would be causing is to lock up and not move?
    What you lost is not bath oil but rather the oil on the air piston. I would remove the top air cap and add back about 5cc of motor oil.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    That's what I figured, but what about that would cause the fork to lock up and be immovable?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by savechief View Post
    That's what I figured, but what about that would cause the fork to lock up and be immovable?
    Well, when the air piston has no oil and lubrication, it could cause some stickiness.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.