mtbr member
    May 2012

Changing damper in x fusion vengeance.

So I need stiffer springs for my fork before I can use it. They don't have any in stock at the shops or even the manufacturer. They do however have a way more expensive solution. Upgrade my damper system and the bike shop said that will solve my bottoming problem just like having stiffer springs would. I am no expert on this at all so basically I'm just going to take their word for it. What do you guys think? Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If your spring is too soft, and you a running too much sag, a new damper will not help you at all. You will still be running too much sag, and a new spring is the proper solution.

However, if you are running the correct sag with your current spring, the damping is likely the issue. You would be much better off, though, sending your fork to a suspension tuning outfit to have the damper properly valved to your needs. I believe Vorsprung is a tuner that handles X-Fusion. It may well end up being only slightly cheaper than getting a whole new damper, but it will land you a much better tuned fork.

What?
    As mentioned above, spring rate needs to be correct. Spring rate trumps damping and should be the first thing set up on any suspension. If your rate is correct, and you just ride hard and on the big hits, you bottom, your spring rate may be correct. If you bottom on small things or harshly bottom out on big hits, you need a firmer spring. Anything else will be a crutch.

Chances are you cant send your fork off to a company for tuning. you would likely need the upgraded damper for there to be anything to tune.

If you have the Veangance R, Its worth upgrading to the HLR damper. You will get a huge upgrade in performance and adjustability. Its worth it even if you also need a firm spring.

To get a good answer from us, it would help to know your weight, and which version of the vengeance you have.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Other mfg. springs will fit in the Vengeance. I'm running a marzocchi ti spring in mine, Fox springs look to be similar dimensions. Most 160mm springs are compressible to 170mm w/o coil bind. As others correctly point out, need the proper sag, no amount of damper magic can get around that, not even Avalanche .
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Changing damper in x fusion vengeance.

I'm six foot and weigh 212 geared up. I purchased a left over 2012 specialized status 1 and it has the 170mm vengeance with the rebound control. I can bottom the fork on flat ground just by hoping on it hard. Our bike park opened this weekend and I didn't go because I know I'll just wreck the fork if I rode it hard. X fusion said they won't have the orange stif spring for a few weeks and my lbs is ordering me the upgraded damper. He says it should help enough for now and just me a major plus when we get the springs in.

What?
    At your weight, you need a firmer spring. The stock spring is designed for riders 30-50lbs less than you. I would look into using other springs like Mrwhlr said, or look on Ebay for used springs.

If you have the cash, it totally worth upgrading to the HLR damper. You get a cartridge damper with external high and low speed compression, low speed rebound, and internal high speed rebound. It also has a hydraulic bottom out cone which is why they say it will help you.

Dont let that last part trick you though, you need the stiffer spring to get a proper functioning fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    i'm 6'4" and about 235. i upgraded to the stiffer springs and what a difference it made. if you can get your hands on the extra firm springs go for it. while i'm enjoying the new feel i'm still on the market for a dual crown...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    If you're overpowering the xfusion spring, the yellow fox spring rate is @ 5lb/in more

Changing damper in x fusion vengeance.-xfusion-coils.jpg

Changing damper in x fusion vengeance.-fox-36-160mm-coils.jpg
    Last edited by Deerhill; 07-08-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: charts didn't show up