Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Changing 2006 MX Pro for 2013 Recon Gold RL: worth it ?

953 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Kiwiplague 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have the possibility of "upgrading" my 2006 Marzocchi MX pro fork to a 2013 Recon Gold RL really cheap. Both are 9mm QR, 120mm travel.

The Recon is of course more recent, has got 32mm stanchions (MX Pro 30mm) and is about 250g lighter.

I am very satisfied of the MX Pro, and wondered if changing for Recon Gold would be a big upgrade (if an upgrade at all) ?

#2 ·
7 years of suspension technology is huge. I have a recon silver, and love it. I imagine I'd like the gold even more, but I'm a clydesdale so I went with the steel stanchions for longevity. Only you can determine if you can justify a new fork for the added cost or not. However, if you are questioning you're old fork, it's probably time for a new one.

My only concern is if the recon gold has a tapered headtube? I don't know if the 13' recon gold was even available with a straight steer tube. I'd also question the cost benefit of getting a new fork that isn't 15QR, unless it's such a good deal that sticking with regular QR is worth it. In the future, it will be harder to find quality wheels with a QR instead of the 15QR.

#3 ·
7 years of suspension technology is huge....However, if you are questioning you're old fork, it's probably time for a new one.
In fact, that is my main question: has suspension technology advanced that much in 7 years ?

added cost or not.
Let's say cost isn't an issue.

My only concern is if the recon gold has a tapered headtube? I don't know if the 13' recon gold was even available with a straight steer tube.
Luckily, the Recon I could get has straight steerer (these seem to be disappearing: wouldn't want to have to change my frame to be able to fit a new fork...)

In the future, it will be harder to find quality wheels with a QR instead of the 15QR.
Wouldn't like to have to change my front hub, but the Recon I can get has QR.

#5 ·
Not to mention the Recon is a current fork, so servicing is going to be a lot easier from the parts point of view. Also, the Recon is easy to work on, so you could do your own servicing as well if you are that way inclined.

If it was me and I would get the Recon.

#6 ·
I have experience with both forks.Keeping your Marzocchi is not a bad idea if it is well maintained.Marzocchi forks in general do not flex very much....that is the issue.The recon gold is no better in that regard.If you seek better performance then I suggest upgrading to a fork with 15mm thru axle.This is what I suggest.Please follow the link:ihih::ihih: Manitou Marvel Pro Forks - QR15mm - Tapered 2012 | Chain Reaction Cycles

#8 ·
I have experience with both forks.Keeping your Marzocchi is not a bad idea if it is well maintained.Marzocchi forks in general do not flex very much....that is the issue.The recon gold is no better in that regard.
Aha, someone who can compare both. So if I understand the QR, Recon Gold RL won't offer better performance than my plush QR Marzocchi (that is still in good shape) ? Only gain would only be about 200g of weight ?

I know I know, but holding on to my non-tapered frame (at least for the moment).

#9 · (Edited)
I would hold off on the Recon, eventually upgrading to a good fork with 15mm thru axle...and yes a frame to go with it.The Marz MX even though a low level fork with mediocre damping still excels at being relatively less flexible.My commuter bike has an ancient Marzocchi 33 that has about the same flex in it as my Recon gold with a QR.My daughters bike has a 30mm Recon silver that is crap in regards to flex.I gave my old Fuel 90 to my step son years ago,it has a 2002? Marz mx still going strong.15 mm forks with straight steering tubes are hard to come by.Interesting side note:confused: I recently bought a HT giant frame with 44mm internal cups, used a spare 2006 Recon 351, also bolted up a 15mm front axle Shimano XT wheel.I placed a 9mm sleeve in the hub, bought a DT swiss 9mm thru axle.So coming from a QR to this setup has been a real eye opener for me.The front end handles so much better:thumbsup: so definitely a 15mm fork and hub will be on my next bike. I really like Marzocchi forks, best one ever for me was a 2004 Marathon,good to see Marz is making a bit of a comeback. I guess I have blathered on enough;) DT Swiss - RWS Thru bolt

#12 ·
Well, will finally have the answer to my own question.
I got hold of the new Recon Gold RL real cheap (270$ all-in) and thought about reselling it, without trying (higher resale value than used).

I installed it on my bike and see how it compares to the MX Pro (to which I guess I'm a attached a bit as I've had some really good riding on it).

Will give a follow up once I have tried the Recon.

#13 ·
Here's the follow-up: absolutely worth it.

The 270 CAD$ I paid for the Recon Gold seems to have bought me a new bike !

Much plusher than the MX Pro, lighter and at least as stiff. Small bumps and big bumps are very well absorbed.
Put the rebound in the middle, and it seemed perfect for the kind of riding today.
Might put a bit less than recommended pressure.

Very satisfied with the change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.