mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Chain tension and pedaling efficiency

I have a nearly brand new (300 miles) bmc four stroke XTR version (DW link suspension design), and i've been increasingly noticing more chain slap.

This bike has the shadow plus derailleur that reduces chain slap.

while riding today, I noticed I didn't downshift quick enough and found myself riding in the big ring on way to hard a gear.

strangely, my rear and front shocks felt like they were locked and had very little pedal bob. I had to double check it a few times, b/c I could've sworn the fox 32 CTD shock and fork were locked--they were completely open.

This has me thinking that perhaps my chain has too many links or has something, strangely, stretched, as there was a MASSIVE increase in shock stiffness and efficiency when the chain was under a heavy tension (far, far too heavy of a tension/too hard a gear to be used realistically).

I know the design of my suspension is supposed to maintain chain tension to reduce pedal bob, but i'm wondering if something is up w/ my chain tension.

my bike did come w/ an option chain tensioner, but I didn't install it b/c I figured it would be redundant w/ the shadow plus derailleur.

so:

1) install the chain tensioner?

2) remove links from chain?

3) i'm a noob, and this is normal shock behavior under very high chain tension?

mtbr member
    The rear could easily be the result of chain tension, but the front makes no sense. Also, the BMC is not a dw linked bike. It might have mini links but that does not necessarily make it a dw linked bike (officially it is not).

Also, in general bikes tends to have less squat in the big ring (plusher) than in the smaller rings, which makes this even more confusing. Did you sent the bike up or was it done at a shop? I would not take links out unless you are having some shifting problems.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.