Long live the ASR-7

CCDB Coil Squeak

I just picked up a Cane Creek Double Barrel Coil for fairly cheap. I bought a new spring and the propriety hardware for my bike(Yeti ASR-7). Immediately after mounting it I noticed a small squeak any time you get into the travel. After some searching around the internet this seems to be a fairly common thing. The coil is rubbing on the black sleeve causing the noise.

Has anyone here experienced this and how did you combat the problem? Thanks.

Long live the ASR-7
    Anyone?

mtbr member
    With the "black sleeve" there is not much space between the shock body and inner side of the spring. It is however possible to eliminate the squeaking. You just have to adjust the spring so that the space all the way around the shock body is even. It's best to take the shock off the bike to do this so that you can get a better visual of whether the spacing is even all the way around. Also, how much preload are you using? With only a small amount of preload, the spring may not be tightened down enough to prevent it from moving laterally when riding, resulting in the rub and squeak you are having.

Long live the ASR-7
    3.5 turns of preload. I'll take it off again and try to give it equal space. I thought about lightly sanding the black sleeve down a little to give the spring more room. Maybe a layer of thin felt on there.

mtbr member
    You know if you can't get rid of the squeak, then you can get rid of that sleeve - it's not functional - it's just protective.

Long live the ASR-7
    Might have to go that route. Took off the shock 2 more times and did some sanding/shaving of the sleeve and can't get the squeak out.

Long live the ASR-7
    Sleeve gone. Squeak gone.