Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

CCDB coil

4K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  BicicletaBob 
#1 ·
Hi all

I'm busy setting my new CCDB coil up. Following the instructions from CC:

"To reset shock settings turn each adjuster all the way counter clockwise"

The low speed rebound knob just keeps turning, am I doing some thing wrong? The other adjusters get to a point where the resistance makes it obvious where the adjustment stops...

Also, they talk about clicks but I don't hear anything. ????

#19 ·
I had a couple Double Barrels and never had an issue w/ the adjusters. OP I would get in touch w/ Cane Creek.

"Could be that the shop that sold it to me may have wound the adjuster too far out when dialing in base settings"

Did the shop install and baseline the adjuster's ? You might be blaming CC when the shop is @ fault ???

Mountain bikes are far from auto repair. You can hammer fist your way through an auto not so w/ bicycles.

#2 ·
I was told, by malcom, to be carefull with the low speed adjusters. Once you feel resistance, stop. From the sounds of it you might have broken something on the low speed adjusters if you kept spinning.
It's a pretty silent click, you can barley hear it. I can feel it click better instead of trying to hear it.

#4 ·
I was very careful not to force the adjuster but never felt the slightest resistance. I did with others so know when to stop.
Have to agree, considering the price it is rather crap! Not too happy about it, wish I'd gone for Fox rather. :madmax:

Will be sending it back if I can't sort it out.... $$$ on bling serves me right

#6 ·
Here below is what i got from Gary from CC;

Found this on the ibis forum:

"The low speed won't have a audible click, but you should be able to feel a
small detent as it turns. If this does not happen you have backed the
adjuster out too far and probably broken the limit stop. You may be able
to reengage the threads by put pressure on the adjuster while turning it
clockwise. Once it starts to thread again, count in 27 clicks to full
close. Make sure you count clicks back out to be sure you don't go past
the limit again. Otherwise you may need to contact a service center to
have the adjuster repaired.

Ha, ha... A mountain bike component that needs to treated like a delicate flower. What crap!

#8 ·
Have had a CCDB since 2007.
Never had a problem with either low or high speed adjusters.
The clicks on mine are easy to feel.
The CC tool is fine - fits the nuts perfectly and easy to use. Really can't see how your messing it up - unless access to your adjuster is limited due to frame design...
Have had the shock serviced last year and upgraded to the latest poppet valves. No difference in feel to the adjusters.
Works a charm - far far FAR better than any shock I have ridden from Fox - including PUSH'd units.

just me 2 pence

michael

#10 ·
Hi mykel. Well I'm fairly mechanically minded, rebuilt many car engines, gear boxes etc... (no mechanical watch repair though ;-)) so I don't know how I could have got it wrong either. I did feel the other adjusters reach their 'stop' point.

Could be that the shop that sold it to me may have wound the adjuster too far out when dialing in base settings.

I still think that it is poor design as it shouldn't be possible to break while setting rebound. Clicks on mine are definitely NOT easy to feel or hear, especially on the trail with noise from wind/bikes etc...

For me it is a great shock let down by poor final engineering, perhaps they should have spent a bit more time on the usability... I can see a lot of people having problems and giving CC poor press. I know I'll steer well clear of their products in the future.

#11 ·
Hi mykel. Well I'm fairly mechanically minded, rebuilt many car engines, gear boxes etc... (no mechanical watch repair though ;-)) so I don't know how I could have got it wrong either. I did feel the other adjusters reach their 'stop' point.

Could be that the shop that sold it to me may have wound the adjuster too far out when dialing in base settings.

I still think that it is poor design as it shouldn't be possible to break while setting rebound. Clicks on mine are definitely NOT easy to feel or hear, especially on the trail with noise from wind/bikes etc...

For me it is a great shock let down by poor final engineering, perhaps they should have spent a bit more time on the usability... I can see a lot of people having problems and giving CC poor press. I know I'll steer well clear of their products in the future.
I've been following these forums a lot the last four years, and ridemonkey. I done a lot of research on the ccdb before I purchased mine. Your the first person I see saying something about the limits of the low speed adjusters. Everybody else I see just complain about not being able to turn them with your fingers, need tools. The ccdb been around for a while it's going to stay. I think you just ham fisted the adjusters, somethings are more touchy then car engines and gear boxes. You should've known something was wrong when you started to feel some resistance, normally quick resistance then quick release foward repeat for more. If you didn't feel a thing in the first place then the shop sold you a dud.

#12 ·
I'm definitely not the first person to discover this short coming in the delicate adjusters. Search a bit and you'll find many (start on the Ibis forum on this site)...

Anyway, as I stated there was never any resistance on the adjuster so perhaps the guys who sold it to me have ham fists. I'll contact them for help.

No point in starting a war over a bike component though, it isn't religion. Peace :)

#13 ·
I'm don't go to the ibis forum.
Sounds like the guy before was ham fisted and probaly one of the reasons he sold it.
The ccdb has a big range of adjustments, it will let you know if you adjusted something to much. Just get it serviced them go from there afterwards.

#14 ·
There are complaints of this exact issue and its not 1 person , your def searching wrong then or reading in a different language . Yes the CCDB does have a big range of adjustments which many people prob dont even need or know how to adjust properly . I can see it being a great product for what it is, but having issues like this is not a good one.

I have worked on cars and built motors myself and i have never ran into a problem with adjusting my fork or shock on any of my bikes . This is why im actually skipping this particular shock on my current build im working on and going with something that isnt built with such fragile internals. If you can break the limit stop that easy then i really dunno what to say about that product . Why havent any other shocks have this problem ? or maybe your just a CCDB fan boy lol

#18 ·
Well I've managed to get mine to reengage so things look ok, I'll just have to be careful from now. Once I've found the sweet spot this won't be a problem again as I won't need to dial it all the way out.

I stand by what I've said, this isn't good enough for a premium product.

Shock is fantastic otherwise.

#21 ·
"Mountain bikes are far from auto repair. You can hammer fist your way through an auto not so w/ bicycles."

Ha, ha! Please never work on my car! :)

"You might be blaming CC when the shop is @ fault ???"

Still a stupid design?

"Like everybody shut up so I can concentrate."

Perhaps the shock should come with a stethoscope ;)

#22 ·
Update:

Despite my moaning about the clicks once worked out it isn't a problem. Just be careful when you adjust to "zero" to figure out a good starting point.

I've now had a chance to do some "quiet" riding on well know trails I have to admit that the CCDB coil is one hell of a shock.

Where my air shock (monarch 3.3) used to lose control the CCDB just keeps on delivering, the support is amazing. Over fast rocky sections the bike doesn't bog down like it used to.
And I think there is more to come with more setup time. Each (silent) click makes a difference to the feel of the shock.

I'm more than impressed with it :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.