Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

cane creek DB IL coil thread

Thought I would start a thread as I got mine fitted a couple of days ago on my transition suppressor.

I ballsed up the spring calculation so I've had to order another spring lol Its currently fitted with a standard CC 400lb spring but I've ordered a 350lb nuke proof SLS spring which should arrive soon.

only had a couple of miles to test it out so far but even with the 400lb spring its better than the monarch plus that was previously fitted. Once the new spring comes I'll be able to fully test and set up the damping properly.

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Intense Primer

My XC race bike for next year. Decided to try a coil in the rear for the first time in 15 years. No more changing spring rates due to temperature changes or overhating shock. Bike weighs 23lbs with 2.35 Racing Ralph SnakeSkin an 130mm fork.

cane creek DB IL coil thread-2016-10-03-16.37.38-medium-.jpgcane creek DB IL coil thread-2016-10-03-16.37.09-medium-.jpgcane creek DB IL coil thread-2016-10-02-11.57.23-medium-.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    My XC race bike for next year. Decided to try a coil in the rear for the first time in 15 years. No more changing spring rates due to temperature changes or overhating shock. Bike weighs 23lbs with 2.35 Racing Ralph SnakeSkin an 130mm fork.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-10-03 16.37.38 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	726 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	1098540Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-10-03 16.37.09 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	491 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	1098541Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-10-02 11.57.23 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	898 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	1098542
    What spring you running? Ti?

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    What spring you running? Ti?
    Steel at the moment, waiting for Beta C Ti from Lite-Springs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Anyone else running one of these yet? Thinking of speccing one on a 2017 Five so keen to hear feedback

Thought one of the mags would've done a review by now tbh

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    get one, you won't regret it

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Planning to fit a 190x50 on my Banshee Phantom, which should hopefully be a nice improvement over the DB inline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone have comparison to CC DBA?

mtbr member
    I have one on my Norco Sight. It rips but has a weakness. Overall the shock outperforms the Inline air but it acts odd over jumps. It just doesn't have the pop that the Inline air has. Other than that it is more complient and better in all areas. The best part of the shock is its small bump compliance. Nothing beats a cool in that regard. I had to bump up the spring to 400lb from the recommended 350lb as per Cane Creek to get more mid support.

Erik

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Can u share Your weight geared

mtbr member
    I weigh 148 and around 155-158 all geared up. As per the spring rate calculator on Cane Creek site I was in a solid 350 lb range but noticed when I rode the bike real hard, I suffered from pedal strikes and a little of bottoming out really hitting square edge bumps. It was a better setup when I was trail riding and not pushing but at race speeds it was just too soft.

Another thing I noticed when I went up in spring rate is to be perfect with setting your sag. It's real hard when you only have 1 turn to 1 1/2 turns of preload to get it perfect. Make sure your set it in your attack position. Even when I got the sag perfect at 17mm, I ended up getting a bit firmer to try to give it more feeling in the back. (Hard to explain but wanted more pop)

Also it will give you a stinkbike feeling unless you add some air to your fork. Once you commit to the stiffer setup you can actually fly but you really need to push to make the bike feel good. The bike also becomes a less forgiving unless you are hammering it.

Erik

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99 View Post
    I weigh 148 and around 155-158 all geared up. As per the spring rate calculator on Cane Creek site I was in a solid 350 lb range but noticed when I rode the bike real hard, I suffered from pedal strikes and a little of bottoming out really hitting square edge bumps. It was a better setup when I was trail riding and not pushing but at race speeds it was just too soft.

Another thing I noticed when I went up in spring rate is to be perfect with setting your sag. It's real hard when you only have 1 turn to 1 1/2 turns of preload to get it perfect. Make sure your set it in your attack position. Even when I got the sag perfect at 17mm, I ended up getting a bit firmer to try to give it more feeling in the back. (Hard to explain but wanted more pop)

Also it will give you a stinkbike feeling unless you add some air to your fork. Once you commit to the stiffer setup you can actually fly but you really need to push to make the bike feel good. The bike also becomes a less forgiving unless you are hammering it.

Erik
    Eric
    Your input is much appreciated as there is not many folks using coil IL and be able to compare it to regular DBA.

Correct me if i understood You incorrectly.
    Small bump sensitivity is top notch but it sounds like You had to increase preload to make it more usable on trails (less pedal bob) ?
    This resulted in overall harder feeling when You don't push it but when it becomes really jumpy than nothing can beat this setup?

J:
    no E: = : )
    Quote Originally Posted by carbine_275 View Post
    Planning to fit a 190x50 on my Banshee Phantom, which should hopefully be a nice improvement over the DB inline.

Interesting sizes starting to show up, like to hear more about this

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by J: View Post
    Interesting sizes starting to show up, like to hear more about this
    I'm rethinking the shock choice after reviewing the leverage ratio curve for the Phantom. It appears that the spring requires some progressiveness in the last 1/3 or so of suspension travel, which the coil would not be able to provide.

J:
    no E: = : )
    Quote Originally Posted by carbine_275 View Post
    ..after reviewing the leverage ratio curve for the Phantom. It appears that the spring requires some progressiveness in the last 1/3 or so of suspension travel, which the coil would not be able to provide.
    That's what I was guessing, it's an interesting size to pack everything into, I would still look into it (bottom out bumpers/cones are available in a lot of shapes/sizes these days)

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Anyone get a chirping noise from the Coil IL?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Placek View Post
    Eric
    Your input is much appreciated as there is not many folks using coil IL and be able to compare it to regular DBA.

Correct me if i understood You incorrectly.
    Small bump sensitivity is top notch but it sounds like You had to increase preload to make it more usable on trails (less pedal bob) ?
    This resulted in overall harder feeling when You don't push it but when it becomes really jumpy than nothing can beat this setup?
    That's the rub with a coil and the Norco Sight. In pedaly sections you get what appears or feel to be more bob with the standard spring rate. You can increase LSC and I played with that but it just took all the positives of the coil and made it harsh in the small stuff.

Why I increased preload and went to a stiffer spring was to get more mid support. This is a trick I learned from racing motocross. It helped the pedal bob, gave me more support in the middle and the bike doesn't bottom. The downside is you have to push this bike now. The faster you go the better it feels. When I'm just putting about it feels a bit harsh but when I'm descending as fast as I can it absolutely rips.

The one place I can't get it right is on the takeoff of jumps. I don't hit huge jumps but the standard PNW jumps we have around the Eastside of Seattle. The bike always feels nose high and the back end doesn't come up like I like it. I don't know how to explain it. It feels "dead" but to be truthful I never really set it up for jumps by taking out a crapload of rebound. It feels feel nice on landings.

I had so many problems the Inline Cane Creek and haven't had one issue with Inline Coil. The shock has been rock solid since day one. No chirping.

This shock would really benefit from a remote for pedally sections and then just open it up during fast descents. I can't wait until the OPT remote comes out.

Erik

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have one on my Norco Sight. It rips but has a weakness. Overall the shock outperforms the Inline air but it acts odd over jumps. It just doesn't have the pop that the Inline air has. Other than that it is more complient and better in all areas. The best part of the shock is its small bump compliance. Nothing beats a cool in that regard. I had to bump up the spring to 400lb from the recommended 350lb as per Cane Creek to get more mid support.

Erik
    what did you use to compress the spring to get it out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by POAH View Post
    what did you use to compress the spring to get it out.
    What a huge pain in the ass removing the spring. I compressed the spring with my fingers just enough to have my wife pull out the collar. Definitely not the easiest.

Erik

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What a huge pain in the ass removing the spring. I compressed the spring with my fingers just enough to have my wife pull out the collar. Definitely not the easiest.

Erik

I got the wife to sit on the bike and I ziptied the spring. that worked a treat. The CC spring was way easier to get on that the nukeproof SLS one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Never actually put up my settings for my coil IL on my suppressor.

400lb spring 180lb rider - I use my travel with these settings but never bottom out hard or even notice it. If I was doing more DH orientated trails I would get a stiffer spring (I might anyway)

These are clockwise from fully open

HSC 1.5 turns
    LSC 5 clicks
    HSR 1.25 turns
    LSR 9 clicks

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    @POAH

So in your first post you said you were going to go to a 350 lb spring, but it seems you stuck with the 400... and perhaps might go even stiffer... how come? Why the reverse?

When you say it is better than your Monarch Plus, what do you mean by better? What does it do better than the Monarch?

I'm just hoping you could shed some light on your thought process and perceptions and opinions. I'm interested in this shock, I'm just unsure it is or isn't going to solve what I don't like about my monarch plus. I also don't know the first thing about choosing a coil. The calculators help but depending on the manufacture I'm seeing some variation in lbs suggested.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    spring weight is down to crapy calculators. The 350lb made the made too soft compared to the front, the 400lb is a lot better but I've got 3 turns of preload on it so though a 450 would remove the need for the preload and give me some wiggle room with the travel. I'm happy on the 400lb spring but its only £20 for a new spring to play with.

The monarch just wasn't great, I couldn't get it to feel right. if I had it at 35% I needed a lot of spacers to stop it bottoming out on relatively small stuff but then it ramped up massively and felt hellish on landings. Putting more air in helped but ruined small bump but it's no comparison to the DB coil IL.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    joining thread

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Just the thread I need. Camping here...

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    How are you guys getting your base tunes? Are you starting from a mid point or do you have a guideline to start with?

Thinking about putting this on a 5010v2, curious if anyone has any settings on VPP bikes that worked well for them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    set up by the store I bought it from and fine tuned by me. If you follow the app/paper tuning guide its easy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    How are you guys getting your base tunes? Are you starting from a mid point or do you have a guideline to start with?

Thinking about putting this on a 5010v2, curious if anyone has any settings on VPP bikes that worked well for them.
    I recall seeing Santa Cruz had developed a specific rocker link for coil shocks. Can't remember where I saw it - will have a think. VPP has a specific (and variable) leverage curve and I'm not sure coil will suit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Here you go - it was actually PUSH who made the new VPP link, to modify the leverage curve so their ElevenSix coil shock will work

https://www.bikerumor.com/2015/09/18...-bronson-link/

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RicB View Post
    Here you go - it was actually PUSH who made the new VPP link, to modify the leverage curve so their ElevenSix coil shock will work

https://www.bikerumor.com/2015/09/18...-bronson-link/
    My understanding is that this is only for the VPP2 bikes (Bronson v1, 5010 v1), which had a more linear curve, but the changes in the newer iterations made it more progressive, which works better with the coil. I know PUSH uses a tune w/o changing the linkage on the 5010v2 and Bronson v2, my understanding is that it works out really well.

mtbr member
    Never actually put up my settings for my coil IL on my suppressor.

400lb spring 180lb rider - I use my travel with these settings but never bottom out hard or even notice it. If I was doing more DH orientated trails I would get a stiffer spring (I might anyway)

These are clockwise from fully open

HSC 1.5 turns
    LSC 5 clicks
    HSR 1.25 turns
    LSR 9 clicks
    Just ordered the shock. Does it come with the tool to adjust preload on the coil?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    yeah

mtbr member
    yeah
    Awesome. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    So far any problems with this shock was discovered?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I bought a CC DB IL Coil for my Riot. I'm about 200lbs and right now I have a 450 spring mounted with 3.5 turns of preload to get about 17mm sag. There doesn't seem to be an official tune for this bike/shock combo yet. I'm starting with the neutral base tune and will work from there as my starting point. HSC 2 LSC 7 HSR 2 LSR 10

cane creek DB IL coil thread-img_8355.jpg

cane creek DB IL coil thread-img_8352.jpg

mtbr member
    I've got about 5 rides in mine so far. I'm 225 running a 500# spring. Probably going to try a 550. Running 5 or so turns of preload. Still on the recommended tune for the smuggler.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Il coil canyon spectral

Mine working flawlessly after 5 months of abuse. Mounted on Canyon Spectral 140mm back (very progressive leverage ratio) with needle bearings, and 160mm RS Pike RCT3 front with AWK doble air chamber system. Coming form Inline Air very happy, but Coil is really impressive. When you get the right setup it gives amazing small bump compilance, plenty of traction, big hit support, super consistency, no overheating. Climb Switch works very well also.

500lb Spring for 84kg equipped rider, 3.5-4 turns of preload for 17-15mm (30-28%) Sag. Coming from Inline Air, started with same setup and finished adding some high speed compression and rebound damping to counteract the linnear feeling of the coil and give more end-stroke support. HSC: 2.5 - HSR: 3 - LSC: 5 - LSR: 12.

cane creek DB IL coil thread-p1230136.jpg
    cane creek DB IL coil thread-p1230129.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by inaxganja View Post
    Mine working flawlessly after 5 months of abuse. Mounted on Canyon Spectral 140mm back (very progressive leverage ratio) with needle bearings, and 160mm RS Pike RCT3 front with AWK doble air chamber system. Coming form Inline Air very happy, but Coil is really impressive. When you get the right setup it gives amazing small bump compilance, plenty of traction, big hit support, super consistency, no overheating. Climb Switch works very well also.

500lb Spring for 84kg equipped rider, 3.5-4 turns of preload for 17-15mm (30-28%) Sag. Coming from Inline Air, started with same setup and finished adding some high speed compression and rebound damping to counteract the linnear feeling of the coil and give more end-stroke support. HSC: 2.5 - HSR: 3 - LSC: 5 - LSR: 12.

Name:	P1230136.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	1126345

Name:	P1230129.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	1126346
    Im planning to change my inline on my spectral AL29 to the Coil IL. Im around 81 kg without gear so I should be around 84 kg with gear. But when I put in the info on cane creek they recommend a 450 spring. I have 130 mm rear travel (190x50)

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sohl View Post
    Im planning to change my inline on my spectral AL29 to the Coil IL. Im around 81 kg without gear so I should be around 84 kg with gear. But when I put in the info on cane creek they recommend a 450 spring. I have 130 mm rear travel (190x50)
    27,5 and 29 no same leverage ratio. For me CC Spring calculator fit perfectly (only 0,5-1 more turn preload)

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    trailwerks, how are you liking this coil on your smuggler. I am thinking about the same for mine. Also how much travel up front do you have? Sick looking bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Anyone have a comparison of the inline coil vs double barrel coil?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I doubt you would be able to tell any difference

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I have ordered a CCDB coil iL now, it was backorder so I have time to decide about the spring.

should I go for the Valt spring right away or something else?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnbgmcl View Post
    trailwerks, how are you liking this coil on your smuggler. I am thinking about the same for mine. Also how much travel up front do you have? Sick looking bike!
    Hey there. Didn't see the reply come in. I'm loving it. Soooo smooth. It climbs very well with the climb switch engaged with great traction. One thing I have noticed is the playfulness really changes with the climb switch in. I have to remember to shut off on downhills and fun sections or the bike doesn't pop up like I'm used to.

In the open mode down hill and playing around it is awesome. I still haven't spent much time adjusting the settings. Will probably try a 550 spring. I'm 225-230 with gear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have ordered a CCDB coil iL now, it was backorder so I have time to decide about the spring.

should I go for the Valt spring right away or something else?
    Depends on the length you're working with. I at one point found a document posting the weight savings of the Valt over the regular springs and for the 2.25 lengths it was only around 50 grams. Not worth the difference in price for me in my case. For longer ones the difference was significant and totally worth it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Depends on the length also you mogjt want to try the standard spring first just to make sure it's the correct one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Those of you struggling with getting the coil to feel as playful as your older air shocks may want to play with the HSR. I had a CCDB Air CS that felt very, very dead on my old Spitfire, and a couple of calls to Cane Creek ultimately revealed that backing off the HSR damping made the biggest difference. Just a tip!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Does anyone know how much lighter a Valt Spring really is for a specific length and weight? I just picked up a Inline Coil for my Endorphin, and have the regular 2.25x500lb spring. CC says WEIGHT SAVING 50-211g (varies by stroke/rate), which is pretty vague. Definitely not worth it for 50g.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    58g apparently

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    You know I ordered a 2.25x500 standard steel CC spring from Jenson and they sent me a 2.50x500 instead. The package clearly says 2.25x500 but when I unwrapped it the spring had 2.50x500 written on it. The 2.50x500 is significantly larger than the 2.25x4.50 I also ordered. It's a much longer and heavier spring. I can't fit it between the collars. The free length is way too long. Jenson was cool about it and I called them and explained the issue and they sent me a new one overnight. When I got the new spring it was the same thing, 2.50x500. I don't know if it's an error with Jenson's stock or what CC sent them. The 450 is working for me so I just haven't bothered to do anything else about it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Has been following this thread. I am ready about to pull the trigger on the dbcoil il, but just wanted to know if anyone here setup under yeti SB5C? Would to hear from you on your experience.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    what coil are you running. waiting for my shock and have looked both on the cane creek VALT spring and some titanium springs. what do you all recommend!?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    450lb CC steel - would save 170g going Valt (2.5ich)

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I need a 2,25x450Ib spring and have looked at the VALT spring and a titanium spring from to-springs.com. there race titan spring looks nice, but it is 175 pund! wonder how much lighter its compared to the valt!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The 2.0x450 Valt is ~280grams.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienRFX View Post
    Anyone get a chirping noise from the Coil IL?
    I am and it's driving me freaking crazy!!!! I've taken the coil off and put a different one on and still there. Rode it one ride and it went away about half way through then returned the next ride. Washed my bike and gone, only to return a couple days later. It sounds like rubber sliding against metal with a squeak or chirp. It doesn't happen though during a rapid compression and seems to happen on the rebound when it does happen. I've tried to to make sure the coil is on right and even called cane creek with no clear answer. Next step is to send it in I guess.

Anyone experience this? Please help!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    no noise at all - is this with the CS on or off?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    no noise at all - is this with the CS on or off?
    Thanks for the response!

It's with both on and off and is only on the rebound not compression. I took it off and took off the coil to just cycle the shock and I can hear it just a bit but not near as loud so I can't tell if that's it or not for sure. It's more towards the top of the stroke and when I bounce up and down quickly on the suspension. No noise on like a drop or big hit.

I thought maybe it was the coil rubbing so I've taken it off and reninstalled several times and used just a regular cane creek coil and a valt, same noise. Thought maybe it wasn't preloaded enough, with 2.5 turns on 500 spring, so cranked it up to 4.5 turns just to see and same noise. It's baffling, and I can't figure it out. It started after my 4th ride on it as the frame and shock are brand new with only maybe seven rides total on both.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    turn the rebound to 0 and see if you get the noise. could just be the oil going through the valves.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    turn the rebound to 0 and see if you get the noise. could just be the oil going through the valves.
    Ok I'll give it a shot. I don't think that's it, or if it is it shouldn't make that much noise, but I'll give it a shot anyway to see if maybe that narrows it down.

I love the shock other than the noise, and it doesn't really seem to effect the performance.

Just sounds like I'm riding with a canary in my pocket and terribly annoying.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CogHog View Post
    Ok I'll give it a shot. I don't think that's it, or if it is it shouldn't make that much noise, but I'll give it a shot anyway to see if maybe that narrows it down.

I love the shock other than the noise, and it doesn't really seem to effect the performance.

Just sounds like I'm riding with a canary in my pocket and terribly annoying.
    Mine started doing it two weeks ago. It only seem to do it when I first start pedaling. If I give the rear end of the bike a quick hop it goes away until I stop and start pedaling again.

Then on my last ride on Tuesday it was doing it again and when I went to hop the shock made a clank noise when the shock fully extended. I got off and pushed down on the rear to cycle the shock and it now clanks every time it fully extends. I went through my linage and made sure everything was tight. I removed the shock and the coil and reinstalled and the clank is still there.

I have had the shock for 7 months with 270 miles on it. I'm going to give Cane Creek a call today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryLM View Post
    Mine started doing it two weeks ago. It only seem to do it when I first start pedaling. If I give the rear end of the bike a quick hop it goes away until I stop and start pedaling again.

Then on my last ride on Tuesday it was doing it again and when I went to hop the shock made a clank noise when the shock fully extended. I got off and pushed down on the rear to cycle the shock and it now clanks every time it fully extends. I went through my linage and made sure everything was tight. I removed the shock and the coil and reinstalled and the clank is still there.

I have had the shock for 7 months with 270 miles on it. I'm going to give Cane Creek a call today.
    Man I hope this isn't going to be a recurring issue. I still haven't figured out why mine is making the noise. I took a shot on this shock, despite the terrible problems others had with the original inline air shock, hope I don't regret it.

Please let me know what they say.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    So just kind of an update. Took my bike in the backyard and just kida played around chasing the kids around the yard, riding wheelies, and just generally screwing around. About 10 minutes in the chirping almost entirely went away. You could still hear a very slight sound at the very top of the stroke but nothing like it was and honestly something I could totally live with as there's no way I'd hear it on the trail.

So anyways it now has me wondering if maybe it's the coil rubbing on something or if maybe once the shock gets warmed up and the oil warm it makes it stop. My shock is still very new and still in the break in process so I guess it's plausible things are still kinda settling in. I dunno.

Guess I'm gonna keep riding it and monitor then go from there. I've got vacation coming up mid June so if I'm still having issues I'll prob send it in to CC and let them check it over since I'll be out of town anyways to minimize time off the bike.

Still interested to hear what they tell you though about yours.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Are you running the valt or standard steel spring. I've got standard steel on a 216x63 shock

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm running a standard CC 500 lb. steel spring on a knolly endorphin. But I tried the 450lb. valt that it came with and it was still making the noise with it as well.

Running 2.5 turns of preload on the 500.

mtbr member
    How much do you weigh CogHog? (if ya don't mind me asking!!)

I'd like to try the coil on my Endorphin (27.5) but at 96kg/210lb geared up I'm at the heavier end of the recommended weight for the heaviest 500# spring. CC's calculator said I should be on a 550# at that weight but as best I can tell they don't make one in the right size for the Endo, not sure what's available after-market.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm actually your exact weight, 210lb., and am currently on a regular, non valt, 500# cane creek spring that works pretty decent honestly. Cane creek recommends 3 turns of preload for 30 percent sag but I'm running 2.5 turns for around 32 percent sag and haven't bottomed out yet. That said I'm not hitting ten foot drops to flat but hit 3 and 4 footers on pretty regular occurrence on my trails without a sign of bottoming out.

Cane creek does make a regular 2.0x550lb. steel spring that I actually just ordered last night from universal cycles to try out as well. I would have done it earlier but they just got back in stock. When Knolly's sight says CC Springs only go to 500 they're talking about the lightweight valt springs not the regular steel ones and honestly the weight savings for a valt in 2.0 isn't worth it, which I even confirmed with CC. My 450 valt only weighs 35 grams less than my 500 steel so the difference between a 500 valt would be even less. I'd bet prob about the same difference between a 500 valt and 550 steel so I'm not worried about it. 35 grams is like .07 pounds which is so minimal it's not even worth thinking about and I'm hoping a 550# will give me a better spring rate to even further maximize small bump sensitivity with less preload. The 500 isn't bad, it's actually been quite good, but the steel spring is only $31 with shipping so worth it to give 550 a shot and make sure the shock's spring rate is as close to optimal as possible.

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks for that!!

I must have only been looking at the Valt springs on CC's website, good to see the springs are so cheap. I'll be interested to hear how you find the 550# spring, but I've heard nothing but praise for the shock so far so I guess I should really just bite the bullet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Man I love it!

I'm currently trying to sort through a squeak on it but I'm thinking more and more it's the coil rubbing or something as it's not effecting performance and only at the very top of the stroke. I wouldn't let that sway you though since CC customer service is great and they've already said I can send it in under warranty and they'll check it out no prob.

If it persists I prob will when I go on vacation but right now I'm not sweating it. I love the shock, especially on the endorphin. That plus the 160mm fork I'm running up front make it so capable and fun everywhere on the trails!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    In the cane creek air shock, excess chirping noise means that there are air bubbles in the damping oil, which there shouldn't be. At the same time the damping characteristics will be going south, if this is the case.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    How much do you weigh CogHog? (if ya don't mind me asking!!)

I'd like to try the coil on my Endorphin (27.5) but at 96kg/210lb geared up I'm at the heavier end of the recommended weight for the heaviest 500# spring. CC's calculator said I should be on a 550# at that weight but as best I can tell they don't make one in the right size for the Endo, not sure what's available after-market.

Tuned in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Do you know if it would go away during a ride?

Mine actually goes away about 30-45 minutes into the ride sometimes. And it's only at the very top of the stroke. Once into a high speed compression it doesn't do it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    A stupit question, if a have a 190x50 mm shock, should I have a 2X xxx coil in that case?!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    you should have a 2 inch stroke shock in it from CC.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    you should have a 2 inch stroke shock in it from CC.
    thanks.

so a 2x450 or 2x500 depending on my current weight if I read the spring calculator right

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Yeah that's correct. I'm running a 2x550 but was running a 2x500. For everyone wondering about spring rate, on a knolly endorphin at least, I just switched to a 550 from a 500 and the small bump is vastly improved. It wasn't bad before but it's butter now. I'm only having to run 1 turn of preload on it at 210lbs. and it still gives a nice supportive feeling whereas I had to run 2.5 to 2.75 turns with the 500. I've only got one ride on it but I did manage to case a 4ft. drop on it and barely felt it. Like it didn't even feel like I cased it but I know it did because of where I landed. Anyway point is def worth playing around with different spring rates. Also I have a 450lb. valt spring I don't need I'd let go for cheap if anyone is interested. It's 2x450.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    ok.
    that was my other question I had.

How much preload is good? 1-2-3 turn deepening on different springs.

I weight in around 187 ibs with gear and if I use 1 turn of preload it recommend 550 and 500 with 2 turns! this is if I use Trail (28%), those times I will bike in a bike park a might want it a little softer right around 30%.. In that case i probably need a 500 spring but otherwise I need a 550!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    ok.
    that was my other question I had.

How much preload is good? 1-2-3 turn deepening on different springs.
    Get the correct spring rate and keep minimum preload turns (usually 1 turn). This will improve small bump sensitivity. Less preload = less force needed to start compressing the spring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    ok.
    with 1 turn preload I get 530 ibs so its recommend 550, but that can be a little stiff! In worst case I have to get one of each and try.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Cane creek doest have the valt in 2,00x550!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Not worth the extra cash for a valt in 2 inch stroke anyways. Trust me I've weighed them, like 30 grams difference between valt and steel in 2.0. Just get a regular steel CC 2x550 and rock on. I got mine from universal cycles for $27 before shipping.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I don't have the canary chirp, but does anyone have a mechanical sounding "clunk"? I have one about 10% into the stroke - it is really obnoxious but does not seem to affect performance. Standing next to the bike, you can hear it. Holding on to the spring, yo can feel it actually move.

Valt spring, 2.25x450 on a Spitfire. 2-3 turns of preload (but also happens with like 6, I've tested!). The reason I think it's mechanical, and possibly related to the upper or lower spring seats is because it starts after a fresh install in about 3 rides. I remove the spring, reinstall, and presto, clunk is gone.

I have the notch in the lower spring seat 180° from the lip of the spring. You don't grease either spring seat do you?

Any ideas? Anyone else?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    I don't have the canary chirp, but does anyone have a mechanical sounding "clunk"? I have one about 10% into the stroke - it is really obnoxious but does not seem to affect performance. Standing next to the bike, you can hear it. Holding on to the spring, yo can feel it actually move.

Valt spring, 2.25x450 on a Spitfire. 2-3 turns of preload (but also happens with like 6, I've tested!). The reason I think it's mechanical, and possibly related to the upper or lower spring seats is because it starts after a fresh install in about 3 rides. I remove the spring, reinstall, and presto, clunk is gone.

I have the notch in the lower spring seat 180° from the lip of the spring. You don't grease either spring seat do you?

Any ideas? Anyone else?
    I had some weird clicking type noises and turned out to be the spring.

I flipped the spring upside down and it fixed it. Might try that or twisting the spring into a new position.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CogHog View Post
    I had some weird clicking type noises and turned out to be the spring.

I flipped the spring upside down and it fixed it. Might try that or twisting the spring into a new position.

Interesting. If it comes back I'll try flipping the spring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Coils can make some funny noises in the spring seat, especially if you're running super light, or super heavy preload. I've found that 1-2 turns of preload tends to be problem-free on most coils.

Another thing that can happen is rotation of the spring while you're riding. A coil spring will twist slightly as it compresses, and if the spring suddenly twists a little bit against the spring seat, you can get noise. A few brands make "thrust bearings" that can be installed at one end of the spring to allow it to twist a bit. Not necessary, but I've seen lots of people using them with good success. It's especially noticeable on DH bikes with super long shocks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

... and if we just ... I love my Coil!

Just upgraded my Santa Cruz Solo/5010 to a inline coil and man o man is it awesome.
    Such sweet smooth supple suspension.

Kronos 600lbs Titanium spring

cane creek DB IL coil thread-img_20170517_151019_159.jpg

cane creek DB IL coil thread-img_20170517_151019_161.jpg

cane creek DB IL coil thread-img_20170517_151019_193.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That 600lbs Ti Coil weighs just about the same as the 450lbsx2 Valt spring:

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Owner update for the CCDB Coil IL on a Knolly Warden Carbon.

First off, the shock feels great. Excellent control out of the box, and while I'm still zoning in on a final tune, I'm getting closer.

Now for the not-so-great news. I noticed that my shock, like some others mentioned above, was making an odd clicking-type noise about 10% into the stroke on my 2nd ride. This was especially prolific with the Climb Switch on, presumably because the shock is riding higher in its travel.

Out on the trail yesterday, it was quite noticeable on the climb up, so I hopped off the bike and cycled the suspension while closely watching the shock. I quickly noticed that the shock shaft was shifting out of alignment with the shock body when entering the stroke, almost like the shock is "buckling" at the seal head. This almost certainly means that the shock will fail very soon due to a bad bushing at the seal head.

I called a local shop that I trust and the guy was not surprised - he mentioned that Cane Creek has had issues with bushing depth on shocks in the past. However, when I mentioned that it was a brand new DB Coil IL, he did seem surprised, as Cane Creek supposedly addressed this issue a while back.

I'm hopefully getting on the phone with Cane Creek today to discuss options for repair, but I'm hoping it works out quickly as I'm a bike instructor and can't take much time off the bike without a shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Update: got on the phone with Cane Creek. The customer service agent is giving me expedited service, and apparently this is an issue that has cropped up on a couple of shocks. He said it comes down to a QC issue on a particular batch of shocks.

I'm hoping this doesn't become a common issue (doesn't sound like it is), and glad to see that their customer service is so solid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Name:	2016-10-03 16.37.38 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	726 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	1098540Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-10-03 16.37.09 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	491 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	1098541Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-10-02 11.57.23 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	898 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	1098542
    How do you like the coil on the Primer? What shock did you have before, the stock Fox?
    I also have the Primer, now with DB Air IL and playing with the idea to go with a coil

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zhendo View Post
    Update: got on the phone with Cane Creek. The customer service agent is giving me expedited service, and apparently this is an issue that has cropped up on a couple of shocks. He said it comes down to a QC issue on a particular batch of shocks.

I'm hoping this doesn't become a common issue (doesn't sound like it is), and glad to see that their customer service is so solid.
    Better luck to you than me. They've now had my shock 3 times to address the clunk. Keeps coming back, every time, after about 3 rides. It's mechanical, not in the damper, best I can tell. Something with the spring seat. You can hear the dang thing. Killing me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Looks like I'm gonna be sending my shock into Cane Creek as well. I'm not getting a clunk, but the chirping is still persistent and driving me mad. I absolutely love the performance of it and the chirp doesn't seem to effect performance but I've got vacation coming up so I'll be off the bike for two weeks anyways. Figure I'll just send it in to make sure there's not something wrong. If I have to live with the chirp, so be it, but figured might as well get them to look it over just to be sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Name:	P1230136.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	1126345

Name:	P1230129.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	1126346
    Thats a beast. I am looking to do the same to mine, just deciding between IL coil and Air.
    So you say spectral has a progressive ratio? should suit that coil well then. no bottom outs?
    down this thread people talk about noises, got any?
    What weight did you end up with that spectral ?

Could anyone tell me if it makes a difference if i put a backpack on ? About 2 kg (possibly some water up to 3kg in it), can that difference be handled in preload ? I might be about 85 equipped, but as of now on fox float ctd it makes a difference when i drop the backpack i would need to adjust psi. is it easier adjusted on coil or air ?

thanks,
    Roman

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Anybody finding they lack high speed rebound damping? I have to turn the high speed preload adjuster all the way in when using a 450 spring to prevent bucking after g-outs, no matter how slow I set the low speed rebound. It feels like the poppet valve spring should be stiffer, so I don't have to run as much preload on it. Now the knee is too sharp, giving the rebound a harsh feel.

Keep on Rockin...
    Anybody finding they lack high speed rebound damping? I have to turn the high speed preload adjuster all the way in when using a 450 spring to prevent bucking after g-outs, no matter how slow I set the low speed rebound. It feels like the poppet valve spring should be stiffer, so I don't have to run as much preload on it. Now the knee is too sharp, giving the rebound a harsh feel.
    Not that this will help, but how much do you weigh and what bike?

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Not that this will help, but how much do you weigh and what bike?
    180lbs, 450 spring on an Intense Primer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by romulin View Post
    Thats a beast. I am looking to do the same to mine, just deciding between IL coil and Air.
    So you say spectral has a progressive ratio? should suit that coil well then. no bottom outs?
    down this thread people talk about noises, got any?
    What weight did you end up with that spectral ?

Could anyone tell me if it makes a difference if i put a backpack on ? About 2 kg (possibly some water up to 3kg in it), can that difference be handled in preload ? I might be about 85 equipped, but as of now on fox float ctd it makes a difference when i drop the backpack i would need to adjust psi. is it easier adjusted on coil or air ?

thanks,
    Roman
    Hi Roman:

My ILcoil working perfect after 9 months of abuse in the Spectral. But be careful when choosing the spring because CC spring calculator gives me a soft spring result. I tried the 500lb VALT and it was OK but too much bottom out. Now I'm experimenting with 550lb non VALT and it is same feel but a little bit more support in the end of stroke. And is only 40gr heavier and 100 euro cheaper. So for me the VALT don't worth it.

For your info I'm 85kg equipped, with 4 turns of preload. If I can find a 600lb (impossible online) I'll give it a try for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hi Roman:

My ILcoil working perfect after 9 months of abuse in the Spectral. But be careful when choosing the spring because CC spring calculator gives me a soft spring result. I tried the 500lb VALT and it was OK but too much bottom out. Now I'm experimenting with 550lb non VALT and it is same feel but a little bit more support in the end of stroke. And is only 40gr heavier and 100 euro cheaper. So for me the VALT don't worth it.

For your info I'm 85kg equipped, with 4 turns of preload. If I can find a 600lb (impossible online) I'll give it a try for sure.
    Well 4 turns i enough right ? only thing i found are these ohlins ones with an 571lbs option too. pricey though
    Ohlins Race Ready Lightweight Steel Springs 2" stroke - Ohlins - TF Tuned

Keep on Rockin...
    180lbs, 450 spring on an Intense Primer.
    Are you able to dial proper sag with that weight spring?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast