mtbr member

Cane creek DB air for Tallboy LTc?

A quick shock question, I'm really having trouble dialing in my RP23 at 200lbs, on my Tallboy LT. im riding this bike All mountain on everything from narrow DH runs I should be using a 7" bike on, to epic tahoe xc rides with heavy climbing. It just isn't feeling plush at all at any reasonable sag. I'm considering either pushing it or upgrading to the Cane Creek Double Barrel Air, I just called cane creek and they just came out with the 7.87x2.0 in the air. Any thoughts, other rear shocks options or thoughts would be appreciated. I'm getting sorta pumped thinking about the Cane creek DB, but the lack of full lockout worries me a slight bit. But the hype of coil feel in an air package wit minimal bob might be too much for my willpower...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm in the same boat. IBIS and do a lot of XC mixed with freeride.

Wouldn't expect it to work perfect in every condition, but it will allow you to dial it in for the type of riding you are doing. This will take sometime to figure out though.

I was also thinking of the Monarch Plus due to it's compression lever....still leaning towards the DB Air.

mtbr member
    If you have the HD you might even consider the coil. My friend has it and its pretty nice, seems way overkill for the LT though

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    In the big Q and A that Pinkbike did with CC recently, there was some talk of VPP bikes not playing well with the DBA, but that they already had a mod in internal testing to resolve this. I haven't heard anything since, but you should definitely call them and report back with your findings.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpca10 View Post
    If you have the HD you might even consider the coil. My friend has it and its pretty nice, seems way overkill for the LT though
    Soo tempting, I do a lot of XC with it so I think the Air is the right way to go.

pvd
    mtbr member
    If you are looking for awesome DH/Trail performance go with the CCDB-A. It will be way, way better than the other shocks. Just feel how hot the other shocks are at the bottom of the trail. You want to get things cooler and more consistant. That's what the bigger shock will give. If you need the lockout then you are suck.

mtbr member
    Good point! I don't want to be suck...
    So I ordered it, I'll let you know how it pans out, but I'm feeling good about it

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yes, don't be a suck......where did you get it from?

Are you aware that they have updated the inner aircan?

mtbr member
    I had REI order it from cane creek. I'm gating the latest version. How does the new air can change things?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    From what I understand, the original air can didn't allow enough air flow into the outer air can during high speed/impact events. This made the shock overly progressive for some bike frames. People were having to run excessive sag, 40%, and 0 HSC to get it to use all of its travel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Since you guys are on the DB topic.. heres a link to my post about a new DB adjustment tool I've developed.

Fancy Thumb Tool for Cane Creek DBCoil and DBAir Dampers