At Work

cane creek AD5 - GF Sugar 3 2000 model help

I think my Cane Creek AD5 is toast. Past few weeks I have noticed the rear shock having violent rebound. Bad enough you hear it "clank" when it does this. I have tried to lower the pressure, but then it is just too soft. I have read/heard that this shock is an odd size. 6.5 x 1.5 stroke. I have found several Fox shocks with these spec's but I am concerned about it actually fitting. Who has had this happen? Who knows actually what shock will fit.

Thanks

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    You're correct about the shock specs. The regular Sugars used a 6.5" i2i x 1.5" stroke whereas the Sugar + used a 7.875" i2i X 2.0" stroke. CC AD5, AD10, AD12 and Cloud Nine use 1/2" eyelet hardware as do Fox. So the shock spacers will transfer to the Fox shock. I found a lot of great deals on Fox RP23s on ebay that will fit your frame. Also, Cane Creek has a nice trade in program if you wanted to trade up for the AD12 or cloud nine. The last Sugar I had sported the Cloud Nine and it performed really well with that frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer
    I think my Cane Creek AD5 is toast. Past few weeks I have noticed the rear shock having violent rebound. Bad enough you hear it "clank" when it does this.
    IMO there is nothing to break. Most probably you have lost negative spring and new o-ring or two will fix it. Release air and open it. Rebound damping is realized by a small hole in the damping piston (there is only one and it doesn't move). It's hard to imagine that the hole got bigger. Try to find some worn-out seals. AFAIR all seals are simple o-rings with the exception of the most external one (dust seal). You can get them from CC or find in a rubber shop.

At Work
    took it apart and cleaned up, the brass fitting in the center of the plunger was clogged up with grease/gunk, I am thinking that is the culprit. That it was not allowing the valve to release, causing the shock to spring back really fast. Maybe this will fix it.

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    6.5" x 1.5" is a pretty common shock actually. Same thing I have on my NRS. Took off the Fox Float R and got a Cloud 9 that I never used, and then went to the DT Swiss. Probably ought to get rid of the other two sometime. The only thing you need to determine is the mount bushing dimensions for your frame/shock combo if you change shocks out.

At Work
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmtnbikr
    6.5" x 1.5" is a pretty common shock actually. Same thing I have on my NRS. Took off the Fox Float R and got a Cloud 9 that I never used, and then went to the DT Swiss. Probably ought to get rid of the other two sometime. The only thing you need to determine is the mount bushing dimensions for your frame/shock combo if you change shocks out.
    you interested in selling the Cloud 9???

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    Sure, I guess I would. I'll send you a message.