Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,379

    Can you reduce a Manitou Nixon Platinum IT 145mm to 110mm?

    Can you or have reduced a 2005 Manitou Nixon Platinum IT 145mm to 110mm?

    I am looking for a 20mm axeled 110mm travel fork for cheap. I have a 2006 Manitou Nixon Platinum IT 160mm and I like the internal design.

    My thinks I can buy a 145mm IT and have the stanctions machined down by exactly 35mm on both sides and it should turn a a 145mm fork into a 110mm fork. Any thoughts about this out there?



    PBM

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,905
    doesnt the platinum IT have travel adjust and go down to 115 from the factory?

    when people typically lower forks, they just add spacers under a spring to achieve desired travel, no machining necessary.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,379
    this fork would be going on a 100mm frame and i would prefer to make the 110mm travel limit permanent

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by PB Matrix
    Can you or have reduced a 2005 Manitou Nixon Platinum IT 145mm to 110mm?

    I am looking for a 20mm axeled 110mm travel fork for cheap. I have a 2006 Manitou Nixon Platinum IT 160mm and I like the internal design.

    My thinks I can buy a 145mm IT and have the stanctions machined down by exactly 35mm on both sides and it should turn a a 145mm fork into a 110mm fork. Any thoughts about this out there?



    PBM

    PBM

    Is your 160mm Nixon QR or 20mm. I might be interested in it. I have a 2007 Nixon that is fixed at 145 that could likely be set to 110. My fork is brand new, never mounted ...

    I will check with a local shop that does Manitou service to see if it is possible. Let me know if you might be interested in a trade or selling your Nixon 160.
    Cheers
    J

  5. #5
    Flying Goat
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,329
    you should be able to. Go to a hardware store and get some pvc pipe or something and cut it to length. Use it as spacers... I've done it to Shermans and such. Dont see why the Nixon would be any different...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,379
    Quote Originally Posted by rideitall
    PBM

    Is your 160mm Nixon QR or 20mm. I might be interested in it. I have a 2007 Nixon that is fixed at 145 that could likely be set to 110. My fork is brand new, never mounted ...

    I will check with a local shop that does Manitou service to see if it is possible. Let me know if you might be interested in a trade or selling your Nixon 160.
    Cheers
    J
    The 160mm is a 20mm with QR and beat up, I let a "friend" borrow it and he scratched the stanctions a bit. So it is not really a good deal for you. It still works and does not leak, it just looks bad.

    As far as using spacers, wouldn't that keep the fork fully extended at it's normal height? I need the fork to be 110mm high, while fully extended to match the 100mm frame. Frame is a 2008 Merida Mission 2000, BTW.

  7. #7
    Flying Goat
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,329
    Quote Originally Posted by PB Matrix
    As far as using spacers, wouldn't that keep the fork fully extended at it's normal height? I need the fork to be 110mm high, while fully extended to match the 100mm frame. Frame is a 2008 Merida Mission 2000, BTW.
    No... the spacers will basicly shorten the rod which threads into the lowers...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •