Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    245

    can you make a 160mm lyrik 170mm?

    Is it possible to put in new lyrik DH 170mm solo air cartridges into an older 160mm solo air to give it 170mm of travel?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Santacruiser
    Reputation: janisj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9
    Yes. I made it with my 2-step (2-step 160mm ->coil 170mm).
    In german "mtb-news" forum there is dedicated discussion concerning that. Till now confirmed cases are:
    2009 U-turn160mm->U-turn 170mm ( with expander), coil 170mm
    2009 2-step160mm - >coil170, solo air 170
    Impossible:U-turn, coil ->air ( because of schratched surface inside the fork)

    If you like to have DH damping system, then you should change it also.
    ordinary 2009 motion control and mission control allows travel till 180 mm

    janisj

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    245
    Thanks. I actually talked with a sram rep a couple weeks ago to get the low down. I had my local bike shop order me a new 170mm air cartridge, mission control damper, and DH rebound cartridge. I'll have a full spec lyric DH solo air for around $200 (upgrading my old 2009 solo air)

  4. #4
    www.derbyrims.com
    Reputation: derby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,788
    Quote Originally Posted by janisj
    2009 U-turn160mm->U-turn 170mm ( with expander), coil 170mm


    janisj
    janisj - was the u-turn converted to fixed travel 170 coil?

    Without custom modifying the u-turn coil's perch to raise the perch 10mm higher (and then possibly risk coil bind or possibly topping out the rebound piston), I haven't heard that there is a factory option to convert 115-160 to 125-170mm u-turn.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    245
    I don't know about the uturn. I just have a 160mm solo air. I converted to a 170mm DH solo air. The guy i talked with at sram double checked to see if the new 2010 lyrik's stanctions changed and they didn't. He told me it would work fine since the 2009 and 2010 stanctions are the same length.

  6. #6
    Santacruiser
    Reputation: janisj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    janisj - was the u-turn converted to fixed travel 170 coil?

    Without custom modifying the u-turn coil's perch to raise the perch 10mm higher (and then possibly risk coil bind or possibly topping out the rebound piston), I haven't heard that there is a factory option to convert 115-160 to 125-170mm u-turn.
    To convert 2009 U-turn 160mm to 170mm fixed is not a problem, just buy 2010 coil spring assay for 2010.

    To convert 2009 U-turn 160mm to 170mm U-turn you need some custom modifications (parts) see these links:
    http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showpos...2&postcount=72

    http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showpos...&postcount=129

    http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showpos...&postcount=158

    This small alu part extends oridinary u-turn spring assay for 10 mm giving full 170mm travel.

    janisj

  7. #7
    Mk3
    Mk3 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mk3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    76
    Shoot, now I'm curious about this. I just got a 2010 Lyric Solo Air and paid to add the Mission Control (w/floodgate) Compression Damper, Mission Control DH Rebound Damper, and change the air setup to the U-turn Coil assy. Does this mean mine went from 160mm to 170mm? How can I tell [where do I measure]?

    [edit] measured mine against a new Solo Air and that stantions are the same measurement (seal to crown), so I guess that means I still have 160mm travel.
    Last edited by Mk3; 05-18-2010 at 10:26 PM.

  8. #8
    www.derbyrims.com
    Reputation: derby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,788
    Quote Originally Posted by janisj
    To convert 2009 U-turn 160mm to 170mm fixed is not a problem, just buy 2010 coil spring assay for 2010.

    To convert 2009 U-turn 160mm to 170mm U-turn you need some custom modifications (parts) see these links:
    http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showpos...2&postcount=72

    http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showpos...&postcount=129

    http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showpos...&postcount=158

    This small alu part extends oridinary u-turn spring assay for 10 mm giving full 170mm travel.

    janisj
    Good to see the u-turn it can be custom lifted to 170+ travel with a spacer and longer bolt. It looks like no coil bind issues were found by the Germans doing that.

    Thanks!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Good to see the u-turn it can be custom lifted to 170+ travel with a spacer and longer bolt. It looks like no coil bind issues were found by the Germans doing that.

    Thanks!
    It looks like they just machined a little extension that effectively makes the length of the u-turn lower assembly 10mm longer... sweet.

    I wonder if there is any reason this would not work on my Domain 203 U-turn?
    Last edited by ride_nw; 05-12-2010 at 12:51 PM.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,910
    Quote Originally Posted by janisj
    To convert 2009 U-turn 160mm to 170mm fixed is not a problem, just buy 2010 coil spring assay for 2010.

    To convert 2009 U-turn 160mm to 170mm U-turn you need some custom modifications (parts) see these links:
    http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showpos...2&postcount=72

    http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showpos...&postcount=129

    http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showpos...&postcount=158

    This small alu part extends oridinary u-turn spring assay for 10 mm giving full 170mm travel.

    janisj
    KICK ASS. Thanks for the heads up, I might very well end up making my 160mm coil into a 170mm coil with DH carts!


    hold on...when you say "custom" I take it the parts in the pics don't have SRAM part numbers? They were one-offs made by a machine shop?
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 05-12-2010 at 01:53 PM.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    KICK ASS. Thanks for the heads up, I might very well end up making my 160mm coil into a 170mm coil with DH carts!


    hold on...when you say "custom" I take it the parts in the pics don't have SRAM part numbers? They were one-offs made by a machine shop?
    Yes, they look to be homemade / machine shop, not a SRAM item.

    The piece itself is quite simple. Based on the Uturn assembly from my Domain, it is a stepped spacer, 10mm OD at the bottom, 11MM OD / 10MM ID at the top where it attaches to the Uturn lower rod.

    Any ideas on how to build one without a lathe?

  12. #12
    Santacruiser
    Reputation: janisj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by ride_nw
    Yes, they look to be homemade / machine shop, not a SRAM item.

    The piece itself is quite simple. Based on the Uturn assembly from my Domain, it is a stepped spacer, 10mm OD at the bottom, 11MM OD / 10MM ID at the top where it attaches to the Uturn lower rod.

    Any ideas on how to build one without a lathe?
    You are right, they are "homemade". One guy there have access to lathe and made several for him and other forum guys. Probably a right diameter alu? pipe fragment could also serve as alternative. If you like to have 170mm coil ( without U-turn), then you need only to buy SRAM spring+ spring assay ( look for SRAM 2010 tech manual)

    cheers,

    jj

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: d.n.s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    503
    what about making pike from 140 to 150mm? can someone sell me 10mm expander for Pike?
    Last edited by d.n.s; 12-24-2010 at 03:06 AM.
    I'm from Ukraine, Kiev
    I'm graphics and web designer
    Follow me on Behance

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3
    I'd like to ask you guys pretty basic but maybe stupid question.

    I planning on changing my 2009 Lyrik Coil U-turn with Mission damping from 160mm to 170mm as described in the pix earlier. Does the 10mm long stepped spacer have to come to both, spring and damper sides? Or spring side only? And what about oil volumes, for lower legs and damper?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3
    Any idea?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    46
    Spacer is located on the air side. Oil level chart and step by step instructions are located on SRAM's tech web page.
    http://www.sram.com/en/service/rocks...ch_manuals.php

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    38
    Any more word on the 180mm Lyrik,
    Will the standard lyrik uppers work?
    Looks like the lowers might be the difference...
    From 2012 SRAM spare parts catalog p51-52
    "Domain/Lyrik Lower Leg Diffusion Black (180mm max travel) no decals"

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gman086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,699
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy27 View Post
    Any more word on the 180mm Lyrik,
    Will the standard lyrik uppers work?
    Looks like the lowers might be the difference...
    From 2012 SRAM spare parts catalog p51-52
    "Domain/Lyrik Lower Leg Diffusion Black (180mm max travel) no decals"
    Talked to them last week about exactly that. They told me no - the parts are all different including the lowers and were for OEM only (Scott bikes spec'd them as I recall) so... 170 it is for me!

    For those that have converted Solo Airs over to standard coil (not u-turn), do I need a new top cap too or does the top-out assembly include that?

    Have FUN!

    G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

  19. #19
    What?
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Talked to them last week about exactly that. They told me no - the parts are all different including the lowers and were for OEM only (Scott bikes spec'd them as I recall) so... 170 it is for me!

    For those that have converted Solo Airs over to standard coil (not u-turn), do I need a new top cap too or does the top-out assembly include that?

    Have FUN!

    G MAN
    You need a new cap. Top out assembly goes at the bottom of the stanchion, not the top.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gman086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,699
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    You need a new cap. Top out assembly goes at the bottom of the stanchion, not the top.
    Good to know, thanks.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    63
    Thread revive !!!!
    Any reason why I can't do this to a normal 160 mm lyrik?
    Put in a spacer I mean?
    Cheers Mike

  22. #22
    dab
    dab is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    48
    I upgraded my 160mm-130mm dual position fork to a 170mm-140mm by getting the Sram kit p/n#11.4015.551.040 Dual Position Air Spring 170mm/Top Cap/Aluminum Adjuster Knob Assembly (complete)

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    19
    You didn't use any spacers for the rebound side?You just needed the kit?
    Quote Originally Posted by dab View Post
    I upgraded my 160mm-130mm dual position fork to a 170mm-140mm by getting the Sram kit p/n#11.4015.551.040 Dual Position Air Spring 170mm/Top Cap/Aluminum Adjuster Knob Assembly (complete)

  24. #24
    dab
    dab is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    48
    The kit is all you need. I have been riding around with the new kit installed for about 2 month now and have no problems. Contact the Max at Bike Man he can give you more information on the kit (Max@bikeman.com)

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by dab View Post
    The kit is all you need. I have been riding around with the new kit installed for about 2 month now and have no problems. Contact the Max at Bike Man he can give you more information on the kit (Max@bikeman.com)
    Thank's man

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •