mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Can a Lyrik U-Turn IS be converted to SoloAir?

Hi all,
    just wondering if a Lyrik U-Turn IS can be converted to SoloAir or 2-Step, is this possible with the proper parts?

altazo
    Probably not. Generally, you can covert an air sprung fork over to coil but not vice versa. The reason is that the coil spring will usually scuff up the inside of the stanchion it's housed in, making it unlikely to hold air for sufficient periods of time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by altazo
    Probably not. Generally, you can covert an air sprung fork over to coil but not vice versa. The reason is that the coil spring will usually scuff up the inside of the stanchion it's housed in, making it unlikely to hold air for sufficient periods of time.
    That's right, however, if the fork is newish/had liberal amounts of grease on the spring, and you are lucky, you may have avoided any significant internal blemishes affecting the holding of air.

The only way you'll know is to take the fork apart and thoroughly inspect the inside of the stanchions. If you see anything significant, you'd be best to avoid the conversion as you could end up dropping a decent amount of coin and not being successful.

Your best bet would be to just sell the fork as is, and pick up a SA. You might put yourself out some money, but at least you'll avoid any possible headaches.

Bike's hmmm nice
    RS say: only air to coil, no way of turning back.

That said:
    My coil U-turn has a spring sleeve inside the legs.... I'm also in the process of converting my other Lyrik from solo air to coil U-turn and ordered a sleeve for that one to (mainly agains coil rattle). Don't know if it helps but it looks like the inside is well protected. I just don't know if the sleeve goes all the way down to the top-out assembly. That has a little spring as well that might damage the inside of the legs. This is were one of the air seals lives so this might cause a problem.