mtbr member
    May 2008

Can I rebuild old Rock Shox Judy XC?

So I have this old hardtail that I am trying to get a little more life out of until I can afford the new bike that I want. I obviously don't want to sink a lot of money into it, and fortunately I dont think I need to.

However...the front fork is shot. It is a Rock Shox Judy XC from about 1999. Are there still rebuild kits available for these? Is there anything that can be done to it, or am I better off just riding it how it is?

Currently it is just pretty stiff, and when I pull up hard to hop over something, it feels like it bottoms out as I pull up. it is rideable, just not real comfortable.

Any info would really be appreciated. Thanks!

more carbon=more awesome
    Hi there. I spent a bit of time checking out whether I could fix a Judy XL of about the same age a couple of years ago. I did find a company somewhere on the internet that had loads of spares for older Rock Shox, but I soon realized that for the same money I could buy a much newer set of 2nd hand forks that would work far better than my reconditioned XLs. I think you would find exactly the same thing. Have a look on ebay for a replacement is my honest advice. The Judy's were never a great fork at the best of times.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    http://www.hippiesuspension.com/hippietechsuspension/

I know that they will fix it. I am not sure where to find schematics though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Depends on what needs replacing. RockShox still has their Judy manuals online as pdfs. Take it apart and see what inside. I've serviced a Judy Race and they're pretty simple. The bolts at the bottom of the legs lets you take out everything.

It's doubful the actual cartridges are shot, prolly just seals, bad oil and maybe the bushings. Seals are available at enduro seals and the original OEM (28mm IIRC). Bushings I don't know about. But a good clean and fresh oil will probably fix them.

Of course if you see tons of metal shavings and little broken pieces inside you're better off just tossing everything in the trash and buying something online (to keep it budget).

mtbr member
    I replaced the internals in one of my old bikes' Judy years ago with an Englund air cartridge. Easy swap and it still works great today. Check eBay, etc. for replacement.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeah, as others have said, you can get a new seal kit from enduro for about thirty bucks or so...and I know I've seen spring kits on e-bay...not sure if they'd be the right spec. for a Judy, but I THINK they were around forty bucks...so if it is just seals and springs you could probably recondition teh fork for less than a hundred bucks....but if you did want to spend a hundred bucks or so, you could get a lower end RS fork, brand new, for not much more than what you'd be spendign to rehab a 10 year old fork.

I just replaced my Judy on my bike witha new Fox fork, and put the old Judy on my wife's bike, who doesn't ride a lot, and it is an upgrade for her bike. Gave it a fresh coat of paint, the fork looks brand new and still works well enough, but I doubt I'll end up rebuilding the fork in the future, I'll probably just troll e-bay for a used (but not used up) fork.

Good luck mate!

Tim

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I just got "my" rebuilt shock back from hippie tech they had it for almost a year and it somehow grew a rather long non-threaded head tube while it was gone. I found this thread looking for information on "my" newly rebuilt shock because I can't figure out where the air is supposed to go. There are niffty new adjustment knobs where the air used to go. After nearly a year of waiting to get it back from hippie tech I will figure it out and not let it out of my site again. I just hope it rides as well as MY old shock did. BTW My local bike shop Argonne Cycle in Spokane originaly sent it to hippie tech and was useless in helping me get it back. But oh yea they can still be rebuilt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    there is a company that sells rebuild kits for your rock shox judy for around 30 dollars. from wings suspension.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    ras310sp - Thanks! It's amazing how little support/info there is for the older forks. I know a few people who were perfectly content with the old gear but it just wont hold oil and the springs are sprung. We're mostly old too so we have a soft spot for repair as opposed to replaced. Wings looks like they have the gear. I'll be in touch with them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormvogel View Post
    I know a few people who were perfectly content with the old gear but it just wont hold oil and the springs are sprung. We're mostly old too so we have a soft spot for repair as opposed to replaced.
    About 5 years ago, I was one of those old guys that was perfectly content with my old gear (I was also nursing an old Judy XC). Then I tried the new gear (especially newer suspension), and that all changed. I was really glad I didn't dump a bunch of money into the old Judy. I still have it (still a little sentimental attachment), but it doesn't get ridden much.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Check the web for the Wings-suspension conversion, I've been looking for a new fork got one on ebay but the steerer tube is 1 inch short! some of the videos on YT show the conversion to springs but some else complained about the company being a scam. Who knows really...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    RE: JUDY SEAL REPLACEMENT. Gahhh having a nightmare scenario here replacing dust seals on my 2005 Judy TT. Should have left it ALONE but now it's too late the old black seal is ripped out ok so I have these NEW gray seals and it is now obvious these are quite different from OEM, there is a metal SLEEVE pressed in, above the bushings that will need to be removed to fit these in. WHEW I am getting a very bad feeling about attempting to pry this metal sleeve out it will not budge are there original RockShox dust seals that will fit without having to rip out this sleeve? Need some good info here, thanks. WHO HAS DONE THIS?

mtbr member
    Here you go - service manual for 2005 Judy TT forks - http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/cu...CSLService.pdf
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!