mtbr member

Can anyone help me with G2 Geometry and a new fork?

I'm looking to do the Suntour upgrade on my '12 Trek Marlin which has G2 Geometry. I was told that the stock fork has a 51mm offset and the upgrade forks are a standard 46mm. That's all greek to me. Can anyone clarify if I can even make that change or if it wont work on my bike. How will it affect the way my bike handles if at all?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thank you

mtbr member
    I've started looking around for G2 specific forks and see a few out there, obviously far more expensive then the Suntour upgrades. Looking around online I've seen a few people who put 46mm on their g2's and said it wasn't noticeable....I've also seen it said that you HAVE to get a g2.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    A 46mm offset fork will work it will just handle a bit slower with more front end flop in slow, tight turns. I've done it. You can also get 51 mm offset Rock Shox and Fox forks. Your Trek dealer can get them as can others, though you may have to ask.

mtbr member
    How did you feel about the front end slop? Was it barely noticeable to you or was it something you regretted?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If your trails do not have a lot of slow switchbacks, you may not notice it at all. It was subtle. I had switched to narrower bars on a G2 bike and then the handling became a bit too quick. I then went to a 46 mm offset Rock Shox Reba XX and the handling became more stable, but with the subtle font wheel flop in slow and tight turns. It didn't ruin the handling, just changed it slightly.