mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Calling MTD: Marzocchi XC 700 question

Hey,
    I have been looking for some info on my fork in the sticky thread but could not find it and the search is not working.

I have a '07 XC 700, 100 mm with the TST2 cart. I had a terrible rattling/top out so I spoke to Gideon w/ tech. support and he told me to check the oil levels and put new o-rings in. If that doesn't work I need to send it in.

I could not get the nut at the bottom of the ETA leg off as clearance was too tight to get a socket or wrench in. So I could not accurately measure the oil from the top of the crown with the spring still in. So, I added a little bit of oil to the ETA side.

I was thinking that if there was too much oil that it would be forced out of the seals so I added a little extra oil to the ETA side, again I could not get an accurate measurement, and I also added about 5cc extra to the TST2 side.

Will the excess oil be forced out of the seals?
    How can I get the spring out of the ETA side without chewing up the fork leg?
    Will having too much oil in the fork limit my travel or worse blow the TST2 cartridge?

I have not ridden the fork off-road since adding the oil but I tried to land hard off of curbs and such and I noticed that the fork did not travel very far with 35-40 PSI of preload. I'm about 225# and the fork only went about 1/2 way into it's travel.

I would prefer not to spend much if any $ on this fork as I ride this bike very little (I keep it at my in-laws in Hawaii). What would you suggest I do?

Thanks,
    Winky

P.S. sorry I was a little long-winded here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Winky
    How can I get the spring out of the ETA side without chewing up the fork leg?
    Will having too much oil in the fork limit my travel or worse blow the TST2 cartridge?
    Undo both topcaps, compress the fork and you should see a locknut under the topcap, inside the spring. Get a spanner(10mm) on the lock nut either by pulling the spring down or by sticking it through the coils of the spring (the locknut has a lip one way which will stop the spring pushing the spanner off). Hold the locknut then undo the top cap with a cassette tool and the top cap should spin all the way off, which will let you slide the spring off, then you can compress the cartridge and check the oil.

Yes, too much oil on either side will limit your travel, although the TST2 is a sealed damper and you are only adding to the semi-bath lubrication.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks, I will definitely check the oil height today or tomorrow.

I went for a ride today and on some pretty gnarly downhills I got less than 1/2 the travel of the fork. Which is pretty amazing considering I go about 225# and had the preload set at 35 psi.

Thanks again,
    Winky
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I took the coil out last night and was able to measure the oil level. I removed quite a bit of oil from the ETA side and the fork seams more plush already (just pushing on the h-bars). I hope to get out for a ride tomorrow and test it out.

One last question: If I understood previous post correctly, Having a little too much oil (about 5-10 cc's) in the TST2 side shouldn't be an issue. As the excess will just sit in the oil bath and should not have any affect on the travel of the fork, Right???

Or will I need to remove some oil from the TST2 side (Marzocchi calls for 30 cc's of oil in the TST2 side)?

Thanks again,
    Winky

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    you will need to open the TST2 cart. and remove some oil from the cartridge itself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Winky
    I took the coil out last night and was able to measure the oil level. I removed quite a bit of oil from the ETA side and the fork seams more plush already (just pushing on the h-bars). I hope to get out for a ride tomorrow and test it out.

One last question: If I understood previous post correctly, Having a little too much oil (about 5-10 cc's) in the TST2 side shouldn't be an issue. As the excess will just sit in the oil bath and should not have any affect on the travel of the fork, Right???

Or will I need to remove some oil from the TST2 side (Marzocchi calls for 30 cc's of oil in the TST2 side)?

Thanks again,
    Winky
    Easiest way to check if there is a problem with the tst2 side is to undo the topcap of the spring/ETA side and compress the fork, if the fork stops short of bottom out then there is too much oil.

The 07 forks used the first generation of TST2 which is very different to what is in the 08 forks so they don't have the same issue of too much oil in the damper itself