Shread Ready

Calling all Pitch Pro/RockShox Sektor RL Air or Coil Owners

I was looking into buying the ROCKSHOX SEKTOR RL FORK DUAL POSITION COIL 26" 150/120MM 20MM BLACK 1-1/8" on ebay for a good price. It's going to replace my 140mm Pike 351 Coil fork that's treated me well. I managed to demo the Rock Shox Revelation Ti Dual Position back in October of 2011 during a Rock Shox Demo at one of our local trails. I really liked it but heard some mixed things about it on the forums saying that sometimes it would stick at 130 or 140mm after a few rides instead of the full 150.

Anyway, I just noticed the 2012 RockShox Sektor RL Solo Air or RockShox Sector RL Dual Coil Fork has some very good reviews. I haven't search much but I don't think it has the same issue as the Revelation does or did with sticking. It seems like a great fork that's cheaper than the Revelation and I would love to upgrade from my Rock Shox Pike 351. That would give me a quick adjust advantage along with an additional 10mm of travel. I like the feel of Coil and the low maintenance. The Air is nice for weight advantage though.

I noticed some of the newer pitches come with the RockShox Sektor RL Solo Air. Anyone on here own one of the new Pitches with this fork? I don't think they list the Pitches anymore on USA site. Looks like they stopped US sales in 2011. Anyway, looking for suggestions on this fork. I'd like to keep the weight down but I think the ROCKSHOX SEKTOR RL FORK DUAL POSITION COIL weighs about the same as my Pike 351. The Dual position Coil is supposed to weigh 2050g (4.51lbs) in 20mm. Thx

mtbr member
    Light fork for the travel, my buddy runs the 150mm Sektor RL Solo Air (20mm maxle) on a GT Marathon and he loves it, actually made it lighter from the stock Air Recon that was on it. On the more "active" trails he dials in a bit more compression and dosn't bottom out the fork. The fork is around 4 lbs. People have done the Black box swap and retrofitted the Revelations's black box dampner and rebound system into the sektor with great success if you wanted to upgrade later. The Sektor RL is a great AM/ Trail fork.

Shread Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004sahara View Post
    Light fork for the travel, my buddy runs the 150mm Sektor RL Solo Air (20mm maxle) on a GT Marathon and he loves it, actually made it lighter from the stock Air Recon that was on it. On the more "active" trails he dials in a bit more compression and dosn't bottom out the fork. The fork is around 4 lbs. People have done the Black box swap and retrofitted the Revelations's black box dampner and rebound system into the sektor with great success if you wanted to upgrade later. The Sektor RL is a great AM/ Trail fork.
    Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like your buddy really enjoys his! I've read the Sektor performs as good as higher end forks. It's nice to know you can upgrade this one later. If I can find a deal on the Air I'll go with that but I've only seen the Coil Sektor listed on ebay in black 20mm. It's a good deal but just a little heavier than the air. As long as it's about the same weight as my Pike 351 I won't complain. My Pike is good but I'd like something newer with instant height change over twist knob,etc. I plan on doing a pre and post bike weighing. I'm pretty sure I'm a tad over 30lbs right now.

mtbr member
    His weighs around 28-29lbs with the fork on now, but we don't care about weight all that much either....its a stupid thing to get caught up on. My Cannondale Prophet with a 140mm Revelation Dual Air U-Turn with 20mm axle comes in at 32.5...then again I'm using an Intense FRO Lite DH 2.5 tire up front....1330g's and I never complain about it on the hills. That height change doesn't really do much on the smaller forks. My buddy has a Talas 36 and stays in the 160mm range all the time..even on the hills. I don't even use my U-Turn as the 140mm perfect for the trails. No shame in walking the bike if the grade is way too steep. You'll stay in the 150mm range most of the time on the sektor with no need to drop it for hills.

Shread Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004sahara View Post
    His weighs around 28-29lbs with the fork on now, but we don't care about weight all that much either....its a stupid thing to get caught up on. My Cannondale Prophet with a 140mm Revelation Dual Air U-Turn with 20mm axle comes in at 32.5...then again I'm using an Intense FRO Lite DH 2.5 tire up front....1330g's and I never complain about it on the hills. That height change doesn't really do much on the smaller forks. My buddy has a Talas 36 and stays in the 160mm range all the time..even on the hills. I don't even use my U-Turn as the 140mm perfect for the trails. No shame in walking the bike if the grade is way too steep. You'll stay in the 150mm range most of the time on the sektor with no need to drop it for hills.
    Actually, I always lower my Pike to 120mm when climbing. I think it really helps having it lower for climbs. Also seems to help with my neck/back pains on get while climbing. One of the Rock Shox reps recommend the travel be about the same (+/- 10mm) to maintain the geometry of the bike. So +10mm should be good to maintain geometry.

I'm a bit of a weight weenie with this bike. Ever since I went with my tubeless setup and lost about 1lb it seems to help on long rides. Thanks for all the feedback. I'm about ready to do this deal!