mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Buying used shock - eyebolt size?

I'm considering buying a different shock for my 2008 Kona Four. I'm looking at either a used RP23 or Monarch 4.2/3.3. I know that I need a 6.5x1.5.

I'm wondering if there are different eyebolt sizes for these shocks that I have to consider as well or will any used shock of the correct size and stroke length be fine. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Not sure what you are refering to by saying 'eyebolt'. The mounitng bolt is specific to the frame and has nothing to do with the shock.

See my post here for terminology: See my post here for

There are essentially two different standard diameters for shock eyelet/bushing/reducer these days. The reducers will also come in different lengths (frame mount tab width) and inner diameter (mount bolt diameter).

The shock you buy will most likely not come with anything but bushings. Your existing reducers may or may not work.

So read that, and post back with the shock you currently have and any more questions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I currently have a RS Ario 2.1 on the bike. So after reading your post I guess what I am asking is if the eyelet diameter on the Ario, Monarch, and RP23 are all the same? I'm gathering that they're not. I see now that I can order different size bushing/reducers if the current ones on the frame don't work so I should be to make it fit.

Sorry for the miscommunication, I'm still learning terminology. If you could post that link again I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Erockin
    I currently have a RS Ario 2.1 on the bike. So after reading your post I guess what I am asking is if the eyelet diameter on the Ario, Monarch, and RP23 are all the same? I'm gathering that they're not. I see now that I can order different size bushing/reducers if the current ones on the frame don't work so I should be to make it fit.

Sorry for the miscommunication, I'm still learning terminology. If you could post that link again I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
    THe RS Ario uses a 12mm DU Bushing and the RP23 uses a 1/2 DU Bushing.....so you would have to get new reducers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Does the Monarch use 12mm DU bushings too?

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Does the Monarch use 12mm DU bushings too?
    The Monarch and Vivid use 1/2 DU Bushings. What year is your Ario? Because the 2010 Ario will use 1/2 DU Bushings according the RS website

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Its an older Ario probably 2008. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Sorry, I ment to post this: Please help with my rear shock hardware!
    Not just say I was going to. My bad!

Just some pictures with terms so that we would all be taking about the same things. Other than that, I would just say what has already been said above by mtbiker..all spot on.