mtbr member
    May 2013

Busted Fox Triad rear shock replacement or repair?

My wife's specialized saphire rear shock died.
    can I replace bushings and use a RP23?

It does not have any rebound damping at all just feels like a spring.
    the lever on the shock is extremely difficult to turn and has no effect on ride. the adjuster knob is not hard to turn but also makes no difference to ride. I have been told it is only repairable by the factory or highly skilled rebuilder.

This is a pic of one like my stock shock:
    Busted Fox Triad rear shock replacement or repair?-fox-triad-7.25x1.75-ii.jpg
    Fox Triad 7.25x1.75

This is a pic of a Shock on Ebay I might could use.
    Name:  Fox RP23.JPG
Views: 1428
Size:  28.5 KB
    Fox RP23 7.25x1.75

Q: What are the different types of bushings called in these pictures??
    Q: can I just press out my bushings and replace them onto the RP23?

Thanks. I have been searching and not finding this info.

mtbr member
    Yeah, you are good. I think you want a low compression tune and low or medium compression tune. I'm being very sexist and assuming your wife is less than 150 lbs.

Those are tophats, shock eyelet bushings, reducers... I have heard so many names for them. I call them 'hardware'. The ID will match up. It's the same on every rear shock I have ever worked on.

Enjoy.

mk
    trailwerkssuspension.com

AKD
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    So, I'm in a similar boat. The shock on my 2008 stumpy FSR has an identity crisis and acts like a pogo stick rather than a shock absorber. Holds air just fine, but is leaking oil. No exterior damage or scratches of any kind. In full open or full lockout, it bounces around like a monster truck. In propedal, it's okay, but I have to air up to nearly 1 psi per pound of bodyweight to avoid excessive pedal bob. Even then, I'm losing a lot of efficiency on the up, and bottoming out on average size drops. I'm guessing my shock is similarly gone, and I need to replace. Before I do something stupid and buy something on the internet, I've got a couple questions:

Question 1 - am I right in thinking this is more than just the seals needing replacement?

Question 2 - if it's more than just the seals, can it be repaired by Fox or Push?

Question 3 - if it can be repaired, is it worth the $200 repair and the month wait, or would it be better to upgrade? I'm willing to put another couple hundred into this bike, but if I need to spend more than $500 to replace the shock, I'd start thinking about getting a bigger travel bike.

Question 4 - if it's time to replace, would this (FOX RP23 7.25 x 1.75" Mountain Bike Boost Valve Air Rear Shock MTB RP-23 on eBay!) (1) fit in the frame, given the different eyelet bushings, and (2) be an upgrade worthy of the extra $100 over the repair cost? If there's something better out there in a 7.25X1.75, what should I look for?

AKD
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    ..and it looks like we're actually talking about the same shock, so question 4 is answered as to fit. Is there anything better out there? Is the Kashima coating worth it? Can you even get a kashima-coated shock in 7.25X1.75?

AKD
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    would this (Fox 2013 FLOAT CTD 7.25 x 1.75 from BikeBling.com) be a marked improvement over the RP23? Apologies for the jong-tastic nature of these questions, but I haven't had to think about suspension since buying the bike in 2008...