beautiful jackass

Budget 29er fork battle: RST M-29 vs Manitou Tower Expert

I'm building up a Jabberwocky and trying to decide on the best fork for the bike and my needs / style.

My budget allows for the RST M-29 Air or the Manitou Tower Expert. There's about a $5.00 difference between the two. I'm trying to understand how the two will feel on this frame.

Both are 80mm forks. The frame has a 71 head tube angle.

RST M-29
    Offset: 44mm
    Axle to Crown: Unknown
    System: Oil, Air
    Adjustments Available: Air Spring, Lockout, Rebound

Manitou Tower Expert
    Offset: 48mm
    Axle to Crown: 490mm
    System: "ACT" coil / air
    Adjustments Available: Air spring, Compression to Lockout, and Rebound.

I haven't made a decision on handlebars yet in case the width comes into play. The trails I ride are classic east coast singletrack - twisty, rooty, and rocky.

I appreciate any advice on how these two forks might feel different compared to each other.

What?
    The Manitou is in a different league then the RST. The Manitou also has one of the best dampers available in any fork under 600 bucks(and better then some over 600). The Tower is a 29'' Drake, so look for 2010 Drake reviews(2010 was the first year with the ABS+ damper).

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The tower is, weight aside, a very good, proper fork. Excellent damping (which is massively adjustable), excellent seals, and the air/coil mix is a nice spring.

I haven't ridden a passable RST. Their damping is non-existant. I'd much rather run a rigid front end over an RST (saving piles of weight, flex, bounce).

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Go with the Manitou.
    I actually own 26er versions of both those forks (I have a Manitou Drake and an RST F1RST,), and while the RST is ok, the Manitou is a step above. As was already mentioned the Manitou has a really nice damper, plus they're easier to get parts and work on or get serviced. They're probably both going to be very close in weight.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.