mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Bring out yer dead (is my old SID SL dead yet?)

I have a 1999 SID SL on my son's mountain bike. It is perfect for him. Super light and tunable to his low weight. I'd hate to have to replace it until he needs a beefier fork.

When I was putting it back together last night after servicing it the threads containing the dual air spring snapped (!) right where they stick out of the bottom of the legs and where they contain the schrader valve.

The part I need is labeled no. 32 on page 35 of this document:

http://www.kalnai.at/technik/pdf/200...0catalogue.pdf

Does anyone know where I can find this air shaft or one from a more recent model that would work? I wouldn't need the larger sleeve that is shown covering the inner shaft.

For example, there is this part on ebay that I thought could replace the whole dual air internals on that side (but its $50....):

New Rock Shox 2001 2006 Sid Dual Air Spring Assembly MTB Suspension Fork | eBay

Any input would be welcome.
    Thanks

waiting for a piece (.45)
    I don't recall the eBay item working on the older SIDs... I thought that the inner surface was not prepared for the anodization process like some of the earlier forks.... The problem I see is that the air cartridge original to the SID 99-00 is that it is self contained and not a part of the forks' superstructure like it is now. What you would need is another air cart. or an Englund Dual Air cart. system.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    So I would not be able to use the whole ebay assembly.

Would I be able to use just the central air shaft from the ebay item with the original sefcontained air cartidge? I guess I'd have to know the diameter of the ebay shaft to make sure the seals would work.

waiting for a piece (.45)
    I think even just the shaft off of eBay is almost twice the length of the old shaft. That eBay part is the length of the complete air cartridge (minus 5mm or so) but I don't recall what the operating tolerances are for either of them, (that will affect how it acts while riding and how long you'll be able to keep everything intact after its installed).

You could try the eBay part but I don't think its going to work. Pray that I'm wrong!

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by sbstumpy View Post
    I have a 1999 SID SL on my son's mountain bike. It is perfect for him. Super light and tunable to his low weight. I'd hate to have to replace it until he needs a beefier fork.

When I was putting it back together last night after servicing it the threads containing the dual air spring snapped (!) right where they stick out of the bottom of the legs and where they contain the schrader valve.

The part I need is labeled no. 32 on page 35 of this document:

http://www.kalnai.at/technik/pdf/200...0catalogue.pdf

Does anyone know where I can find this air shaft or one from a more recent model that would work? I wouldn't need the larger sleeve that is shown covering the inner shaft.

For example, there is this part on ebay that I thought could replace the whole dual air internals on that side (but its $50....):

New Rock Shox 2001 2006 Sid Dual Air Spring Assembly MTB Suspension Fork | eBay

Any input would be welcome.
    Thanks
    I have a 2006 SID with worn Stantions that you can have for parts.....just pay for postage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the replies.

And thanks mtbiker4life! I'll PM you for details.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    I have a 2006 SID with worn Stantions that you can have for parts.....just pay for postage.

Hi, mtnbiker4life

I tried to PM but hadn't heard anything (and the email system doesn't seem to work).

If the offer for your worn SID is still open I'd love to give the parts a try. I'll watch for a PM.

Thanks

Steve