bike moron

Break-in time on ETA ?? --- for a Zoke Z1 FR

Has anyone noticed any initial difficulties in getting the ETA to engage on a brand new Marzocch1 (Z1 FR in my case) ? I can't get ithe Z1 to engage by simply applying my weight to the handlebar, as I can when using my older MX Pro ETA . The Z1 will stay down if you really whack the front end pretty hard on the ground, but that's real difficult to do on the bike.

I should mention that I've only got a couple of hours on the fork, I've got some back tweakage going, so it may be awhile before I get any real time on the Z1 and the 5-Spot its attached to. I don't see any real adjustments on the fork other than the air valve on the right leg. I don't recall anything like this on the MX Pro, but I may be fuzzy on that. Maybe its just that famous Marzocchi break-in??

Not because I'm fast.....

My experience

Quote Originally Posted by windidiot
    Has anyone noticed any initial difficulties in getting the ETA to engage on a brand new Marzocch1 (Z1 FR in my case) ? I can't get ithe Z1 to engage by simply applying my weight to the handlebar, as I can when using my older MX Pro ETA . The Z1 will stay down if you really whack the front end pretty hard on the ground, but that's real difficult to do on the bike.

I should mention that I've only got a couple of hours on the fork, I've got some back tweakage going, so it may be awhile before I get any real time on the Z1 and the 5-Spot its attached to. I don't see any real adjustments on the fork other than the air valve on the right leg. I don't recall anything like this on the MX Pro, but I may be fuzzy on that. Maybe its just that famous Marzocchi break-in??
    How much air do you have in the right leg "air preload" chamber? If you put a lot of air in the preload, I would imagine that might effect the ETA.

I have a new Z1 FR 130mm coil fork and a 2002 atom race with ECC and I can tell a difference. The Z1 seems harder to engage the ETA feature. It takes a real good push to the ground and it only decreases the travel by about 1.5". Maybe it's just due to it being a 5" travel fork? I also have extra heavy springs in mine though which might explain the added difficulty. My Atom race 80mm fork engages the ECC (basically the same as ETA) feature much easier.

bike moron
    I've only got about 10 psi in there; they only recommend 0-15 at my weight (160lbs). I did also notice that I can only get it the fork down about 2"; I would expect something like 3.5 to 4" to be possible since full ETA is supposed to leave 30mm travel. So 130mm-30mm should leave 100mm of ETA drop down available.

Not because I'm fast.....

I think you might be misunderstanding the 30mm

Quote Originally Posted by windidiot
    I've only got about 10 psi in there; they only recommend 0-15 at my weight (160lbs). I did also notice that I can only get it the fork down about 2"; I would expect something like 3.5 to 4" to be possible since full ETA is supposed to leave 30mm travel. So 130mm-30mm should leave 100mm of ETA drop down available.
    I think the 30mm is supposed to be the amount of travel it gives you when the ETA is engaged. Meaning, the fork will reduce its travel by 1.5-2" but instead of completely locking down (like the ECC feature) it still provides 30mm of travel suspension.

It's a nice feature for long smooth climbs, but I think it feels awkward otherwise with the ETA engaged. I am happier with the fork performance at full travel for most of the climbing I am doing.

Good luck!

mtbr platinum member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2farfwd
    I think the 30mm is supposed to be the amount of travel it gives you when the ETA is engaged. Meaning, the fork will reduce its travel by 1.5-2" but instead of completely locking down (like the ECC feature) it still provides 30mm of travel suspension.

It's a nice feature for long smooth climbs, but I think it feels awkward otherwise with the ETA engaged. I am happier with the fork performance at full travel for most of the climbing I am doing.

Good luck!
    That's exactly right. ETA travel is 30mm, but that doesn't mean that it will drop the front-end by 130mm - 30mm = 100mm of drop with ETA. ETA will drop the front end a bit but still leave you with an undamped/springy 30mm of travel with it engaged.

-Ryan
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.