Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    70

    Hope Brand New SR Suntour XCR-RL not sagging?

    I am new here and new to the world of MTBs, so I gonna ask a noob question

    My bike came with this fork, by default factory shipped the preload is set to the minimum I weight 60KG+ (132.277lbs) I checked myself too, the preload is turned all the way anti-clockwise (minus -) till it can't be turned anymore, but I ain't getting any sag at all? Or coil sprung forks have to be seasoned first (i.e. ridden a while) so that they will be soft?

    SR Suntour XCR-RL.
    Link : srsuntour-cycling.com/index.php?screen=sh.detail&tnid=142

    Thanks in advance.

    EDIT: I meant preload not rebound adjuster
    Last edited by HCR32GTSTYPEM; 11-19-2012 at 02:33 AM.

  2. #2
    Fat-tired Roadie
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    13,697
    You're pretty light. It's probably sprung for someone with 50-60 lb on you.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    You're pretty light. It's probably sprung for someone with 50-60 lb on you.
    my pal has the similar XCR fork (in fact I think his is the exact same model as mine, its just that mine is white his is black he forgot the exact model), but his bike is a year old, and his fork sags nicely, I rode his bike for a week.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,975
    If its a new bike you should be able to take it where you purchased and ask it be inspected ?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    If its a new bike you should be able to take it where you purchased and ask it be inspected ?
    its sort of a gift, wouldn't be nice to ask the person that gave you something "hey your gift is faulty which shop u bought it from". So I am trying to ask are coil sprung forks meant to be seasoned?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,093
    Here are two options followed by a reality based suggestion.
    You may contact Suntour by phone or email with the newness and gift circumstances together with your fork condition and ask for a replacement. They should send you one for you to install. Or point to to a local representative to evaluate and service it. Mention your weight and the riding conditions you favor.
    Alternatively you can take it apart and change the coil spring to one for a rider of your weight. If the fork compresses smoothly when a friend who weighs 180lbs rides it this may work. If not the bushings/stantions may be defective. Maybe they left out some grease.
    Suntour XCR Fork maintenance, disassembly, repair, fix, service.
    The reality for this fork is its low level intended range of use mostly it's for looks and bike paths with occasional bumps. If you intend to ride moderately difficult trails Manitou has forks which can be tuned to your weight for stunning results. Here is a video review by a 140lb rider on a very technical trail. The Suntour fork cannot be setup to perform like this and would likely fail under these condirions.
    Manitou Tower Pro Review - 29er fork test - YouTube
    The camera view of the fork action says it all.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Here are two options followed by a reality based suggestion.
    You may contact Suntour by phone or email with the newness and gift circumstances together with your fork condition and ask for a replacement. They should send you one for you to install. Or point to to a local representative to evaluate and service it. Mention your weight and the riding conditions you favor.
    Alternatively you can take it apart and change the coil spring to one for a rider of your weight. If the fork compresses smoothly when a friend who weighs 180lbs rides it this may work. If not the bushings/stantions may be defective. Maybe they left out some grease.

    The reality for this fork is its low level intended range of use mostly it's for looks and bike paths with occasional bumps. If you intend to ride moderately difficult trails Manitou has forks which can be tuned to your weight for stunning results. Here is a video review by a 140lb rider on a very technical trail. The Suntour fork cannot be setup to perform like this and would likely fail under these condirions.

    The camera view of the fork action says it all.
    Hey thanks for the tips, yea I kinda noob was planning to change to a better fork after the Suntour fails, I am still noob anyways so I wun go so hard on trails. I would definately consider this fork next time, is it suited for a 26 inch Hardtail though?

    Edit just checked, its doesn't fit 26 inchers
    Last edited by HCR32GTSTYPEM; 11-19-2012 at 06:40 AM.

  8. #8
    Fat-tired Roadie
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    13,697
    Manitou makes forks for 26" bikes too. Really, the 29" fork is the new product. Not sure what the equivalent is, but I think the point is the same - get that fork, be happy.

    The spring in a coil fork should never soften up, or at least not during its usable life. However, there are a lot of other things that resist fork compression - friction between sliding components, seals that need to break in, that kind of thing.

    I was trying to resist "your fork sucks" and figured that lack of a spring kit for someone your size would already address it. Oh well.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,093
    The video review will apply to Manitou's 26" models with the absolute+ compression damping internals. It's a disk with holes in it. The holes are blocked by a stack of washers of different thicknesses and diameters. . As the fork compresses oil tries to move through the holes and bends the washer stack to do it. What you put in the stack controls how the fork compresses. And the same setup for rebound. Fully user serviceable and tuneable.
    Here's an ebay listing for 26" forks.
    New 2012 Manitou Minute Pro MTB Bike Air Spring Suspension Fork Black 100mm | eBay
    CRC puts Manitou forks on sale at good prices periodically toward the end of the year into January.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,975
    Most suspensions are equipped for your average weight rider of 170lb. You can contact suspension manufactures for recommended spring rates. I will add from a personal experience w/ an entry level fork. My Rockshox Dart had very little sag @ my rider weight of 190lb but would still bottom out going off a curb. The fork was basically a spring w/ no compression dampning.
    Last edited by keen; 11-19-2012 at 01:49 PM.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SRvancouver13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    133
    Hello All,

    Thanks for posting a question on a SR Suntour fork. We currently carry spring kits for XCT, XCM and XCR in their 100mm travel options.

    There isn't really a "break in" period for a coil spring however there could be a small improvement on bushing/stanchion friction as the fork gets some use. I would feel that this isn't the problem that you are trying to address so the spring would seem like the appropriate solution as you do weigh below what our standard sping was desinged for.

    Feel free to give us a call if you would like to purchase a 100mm soft spring for your XCR.

    Part# FEP529-20 $17.99 plus shipping.

    Best,
    Nick

    360-737-6450 ext 102
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: honns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    521
    Get the correct spring, save yourself some money.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    70
    hey thanks everyone for the all the useful tips .

    Quote Originally Posted by SRvancouver13 View Post
    Hello All,

    Thanks for posting a question on a SR Suntour fork. We currently carry spring kits for XCT, XCM and XCR in their 100mm travel options.

    There isn't really a "break in" period for a coil spring however there could be a small improvement on bushing/stanchion friction as the fork gets some use. I would feel that this isn't the problem that you are trying to address so the spring would seem like the appropriate solution as you do weigh below what our standard sping was desinged for.

    Feel free to give us a call if you would like to purchase a 100mm soft spring for your XCR.

    Part# FEP529-20 $17.99 plus shipping.

    Best,
    Nick

    360-737-6450 ext 102
    What was the weight is the stock spring suppose to take? I am all the way in Singapore
    if you do $17.99 with shipping all the way over here, I will pay u right away LOL. But I guess the shipping over here would be same price as the springs itself.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SRvancouver13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    133
    Hi,

    Standard springs are rated for riders 140-170lbs. The rating is only a suggestions and may not meet the needs or style of any given rider.

    I would suggest contacting a dealer in your area to have them order a spring from SR Suntour or you can try to contact them directly.

    Best,
    Nick
    SR Suntour warranty/technical advisor

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •