mtbr member

Brand new Fox SKF seals, still leaking

My fork started leaking about 2 weeks ago so I purchased the new SKF seals from Fox. I have changed seals in mtb forks several times before and never had a problem, I have also changed seals on motorcycles several times over the years and I know what I am doing. I was surprised how simple it was to change the seals on my float R. However upon reassembly, they were still leaking. The original seals from the factory never leaked at all until they wore out. I am not impressed with these at all. They ride pretty well, but I guess the extra plushness is from the tolerances not being so tight which leads to leaking. I am going to buy some enduros and call it a day.

mtbr member
    That looks pretty standard for oil weeping immediately after seal replacement.
    If it is not getting better after a few more rides, then I would say you have a problem.
    Assuming you have your oil volumes correct, you'll see weeping like that for several rides immediately after you change seals on a Fox fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    That looks pretty standard for oil weeping immediately after seal replacement.
    If it is not getting better after a few more rides, then I would say you have a problem.
    Assuming you have your oil volumes correct, you'll see weeping like that for several rides immediately after you change seals on a Fox fork.

Thats normal? I've never seen a fork do that. I'll give it a few more rides then. It has 14 miles since the rebuild now. I hope there isn't any dirt working its way inside.

mtbr member
    Did you put some slick honey on the seals before you put the lowers back on? Looks like your seals are seeing some friction

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Nope, the fox instructions do not mention slick honey at all therefore I did not put any on there. Plus I don't have any slick honey anyways. However, the seals are obviously wet if that much oil is leaking past them. I can understand a little residue on the fork but it shouldn't be puddling up at the bottom. I don't feel any friction going on, they feel great, better than new.

Quote Originally Posted by CoppellStereo View Post
    Did you put some slick honey on the seals before you put the lowers back on? Looks like your seals are seeing some friction

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I just performed a full service on my Fox 32 RL fork. I used SKF seals. Sunday was the first ride for about an hour and I noticed weeping from both sides as well.

I am hoping this is normal for the first few rides or hours or whatever. I'd hate to figure out I screwed something up or my fork is toast. I'll report later on when I get more mileage on the newly serviced fork.

mtbr member
    Update to my original post. I have to wipe off the stanctions after every mile I ride because it is leaking enough to bother me. There is a visible gap between the seal and fork surface on the air side of my Float R which is why it leaks. There is no visible gap on the rebound side but it leaks too, just not as much. No wonder they ride so plush, the tolerances are very loose. I'm buying enduros as I type this.

moaaar shimz
    Never seen this happening and I install dozens of SKF seals per week.

I can only guess you pinched the foam ring when you installed the CSU and it got wedged between the lower lip of the seal and the stanchion. That or you have a defective seal kit (it's not impossible).

mtbr member
    I probably got a bad set, I was very careful during installation. However, I won't know for sure until I pull them apart again.

Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    Never seen this happening and I install dozens of SKF seals per week.

I can only guess you pinched the foam ring when you installed the CSU and it got wedged between the lower lip of the seal and the stanchion. That or you have a defective seal kit (it's not impossible).

mtbr member
    Update......FIXED!!!!! Took apart the fork and inspected the seals, nothing out of the ordinary. The foam rings weren't pinched, torn, or anything. The seals look perfect too but as I stated in a previous post, they are too loose. The tolerances to which they were manufactured was too big so it allowed oil to sneak by. And yes, I bought the right size for my fork. My only guess is that I got a bad set, I'll have to see if Jenson will give me refund. But, the simple fix was to install Enduro seals, no leaks and no stiction. After spending 70 bucks on two sets of seals and a whole lot of fox oil, I'm finally set.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Kool story bro. I will stick with SFK seals.

mtbr member
    The same problem with skf seals. fox talas rlc 2007.

mtbr member
    Strange problem. But anyway.
    The tensioning springs on seals can be removed, shortened/tightened and reinstalled to give more tension on the seal.

I have done this many times on industrial shaft seals, but never had to on mtb fork seals. I'm wondering if the lower tensioning spring is missing from one or both seals.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve