mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Brand New 08 RS Pike 426 U-Turn,Motion Control

Hi,

I just purchased a brand new set of 426 Pikes.The problem is the poploc or
    Motion Control is not engaging. Is there something that i have to set up before hand.Ive read all the manuals and am still none the wiser!!

Thanks for any help!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What do you mean by "it not engaging"? Is the lock out not working?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    yep,,,,not working!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    First off, Motion Control refering to the damping system as a whole. If you're talking about your lock out not working, then say the lock out so people will understand.

There are several things which could be keeping lock out from working on a new fork:
    - Since it's a new fork, there a very good chance oil has migrated above the compression damper and is keeping lock out from working. Turn the compression full open (counter clock wise) and cycle the fork several times, then try locking it out again.
    - The poploc isn't turning the compression knob far enough. Adjust the poploc cable so when it's engaged, the knob is turned full clock wise.
    - RS has a tendency to ships forks low on oil, and low oil in the damper will keep lock out from working. Download the RS service manual and check your damper oil level.

mtbr member
    Also, if the floodgate is set to the open position(all the way counter clockwise), it will let the fork compress. Try turning the floodgate all the way clockwise and try it.

mtbr member
    oil leaked past the rebound damper o-ring and into the lowers. i bet its hydrolocked now, or will be shortly.

very easy fix, pop the lowers off and remove the rebound damper rod. replace the o-ring, clean any crap out of the oring crevice and reinstall a new one. fill with oil and enjoy your great pike!

its a standard QC thing with 08ish rs forks. not really a huge deal, as its a one time fix sorta thing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgto
    Also, if the floodgate is set to the open position(all the way counter clockwise), it will let the fork compress. Try turning the floodgate all the way clockwise and try it.
    ARGH! I cannot believe I forgot to mention that one!

If the Floodgate is all the way open, the lock out will blow off on virtually any hit. Run it at least 1.5 turns in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Double post.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRingit
    Hi,

I just purchased a brand new set of 426 Pikes.The problem is the poploc or
    Motion Control is not engaging. Is there something that i have to set up before hand.Ive read all the manuals and am still none the wiser!!

Thanks for any help!!
    First, make sure the floodgate is closed all the way to test the lockout. Next, make sure the poplock is adjusted so that it is in fact closing the compression all the way when you engage it (in other words, it is turning the blue knob fully clockwise). If it is still not locking out, remove the MC unit and check the oil level. Should be about 5" from the top of the leg to the top of the oil in the motion control side. If it is to low, then the compression damper (and therefore the lockout) will not work. if you get this far, check back here for more advice.