mtbr member
    Mar 2011

bomber 1998 z2 V brake adaptor

hi all, I have just purchased a set of 1998 z2 marzocchi bomber forks, I try'd to install a v brake only to find they have no bosses to fit them to, I have searched on the net and i have found a pair on ebay, the only thing is they are described to fit bombers 2003 onwards.
    Did marzocchi change the thread post size on there forks after 2003 or will any marzocchi v brake adaptor/bosses fit any fork
    here's two pics of marzocchi bosses/adaptors I have found, the thread size's look to be different to each other, my thread size is 5mm
    bomber 1998 z2 V brake adaptor-picture-1.png

bomber 1998 z2 V brake adaptor-picture-3.png

cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Marzocchi Bomber brake bosses

Having the same problem finding bosses for my 2002 bomber...both types I've found were smaller thread size...did you find some?
    will be contacting contacting Marzocchi support for part number...will post if i can get a good part number.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

hi there

No, unfortunately I did not find the correct boss,
    As you can see in my posts, my 3 week ordeal!!!!, came to an abrupt end when I snapped the recommended boss (by marzocci themselves), leaving the thread part stuck in the fork.(check that post for the part no I bought that didn't fit)

No need to worry though!!!!!!!!, My forks are now working fine with a v brake system
    My solution was to re-thread the boss holder to take a bigger threaded standard boss,

when you re-thread the boss holder there is not much play around the outside, i,e: the metal will be a lot thinner, around 1mm, like having a 1cm diameter metal rod and putting a 9mm thread in it , the external metal will be 1mm, a very close call but it will work if done wright.

If you choose this solution then I would advise getting a professional bike shop to do this, as there is no room for error!!!!!, the precision of the new thread being tapped is vital!!!!!, the bike shop who did mine where great, and it now works perfectly.

This solution was a last resort but always good to know if you can't find the right boss

hope you get it sorted dude, if you need anymore info just let me know