Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bind on shock mount? ETS-X

943 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Squash 
#1 ·
My bike (Rocky Mountain ETSX 70) has been making an annoying squeaking sound for a while. I thought it was just the gear cables making noise but I finally found the source!

The lower shock mount pivot was/is making noise. After freeing the shock from the upper mount, I noticed that the shock did not rotate smoothly around the lower mount. It is pretty tightly held into the mount... nearly bound. I never noticed while riding the bike because there is so much leverage that the bind is basically ignored.

If I loosen the bolt that mounts the shock, the bind/drag goes away, but there is some play in the mount - also the bolt would come loose unless I used some strong loctite. ]

So what should I do? Loosen the bolt ever so slightly (and loctite it)? Lubricate the bolt? Replace the bolt due to it having too much play? Add a washer somewhere?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Replace the bushings. What is happening is the bushing is starting to seize to the to the reducers. This forces the reducers (top hats) to rotate in the mount, not a good thing. Lubricating the bolt probably will do nothing, most bushings are supposed to rotate around the reducers and should never touch the bolt itself. And you should never lubricate the bushing unless specified by the manufacturer. Most bushings have a friction reducing coating on them that will be destroyed by most lubricants and simply make a bad problem worse. There are two ways to find out what you need, pull the shock and measure everything or contact RM with the year and model of your bike, they'll give you the specs for what you need. Oh and definitely DON'T run the bolt loose! Do that and you're really likely to much things up.

Good Dirt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.