Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    I wouldn't mind using way oil in my fork, but the stuff really is pretty expensive. Even at the best prices I've found it's more expensive then good fork oil.
    Go to a local machine shop and see if you can bum off them a cup or two of way oil, similar viscosity to Vactra #2 or Vacuoline 1409.

LCW
    mtbr member

Better clinging oil than Fox's red and green oil ?

Art's Cyclery... They have 20wt gold... Decent price too...

http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-FSFOG20WT.html

EVIL Following
    Yeti
    SB-66A

Surly Wednesday

LCW
    mtbr member

Better clinging oil than Fox's red and green oil ?

Half the price of green 10wt...

EVIL Following
    Yeti
    SB-66A

Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Half the price of green 10wt...

$45 at my LBS! (Canada)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Update: I DON'T RECOMMEND BAR AND CHAIN OIL ANYMORE.

Sorry for shouting, just wanted that to stick out to someone reading through hundreds of posts in this thread.

I used Oregon Bar and Chain oil in the spring side of my Fox 32 fork, as I wrote in my post last year.

The reason I don't recommend it is that it makes its way past the seal/wiper, and shows up as oily rings on the stanchion. It looks as though the seal was worn, but it has looked the same since it was freshly rebuilt until today, and the seal is definitely not leaking. It's just enough to show up, but the difference between the damper side with Fox 10wt and the spring side with bar and chain oil is quite stark. No rings on the Fox side, and pretty serious rings of the bar chain side. It doesn't really affect anything other than looking bad. I do worry about dust getting past the wipers easier when it's mixed in with that oily gunk, but I don't have any proof.

My assessment is that the bar and chain oil is so clingy that the oil seal can not wipe it completely from the stanchion. The seal slides over a film of the oil, and at that point the oil is on the wrong side of the seal.

Given how small the difference in stiction was that I could beasure between the Fox 10wt and the Oregon b&c, I'd stick with all fox for future rebuilds.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5