mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Best XC 29er front shock for clydesdale?

I am 6'-4" 220lbs. I am coming from cyclocross and want to build up a fairly affordable XC endurance race (50k-100k distances) 29er MTB.

Someone mentioned that dudes my size (who aren't doing jumps or DH) get a good tune out of the Reba dual air or solo air.

What do you guys think would be a decent, affordable option?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Personally I feel the MAR's air system is better suited to average to lighter weight riders. There's a reason the clyde Tower Pro thread is so long - trying & trying to get the fork properly sprung. I don't think I have come accross many complaining the fork is oversprung. I ride a Tower Expert and feel the ACT system works better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Keen- Is the Manitou Tower Expert a better system for heavier riders (over 200 lbs)?

Manitou Tower Expert Fork

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Personally I feel the MAR's air system is better suited to average to lighter weight riders. There's a reason the clyde Tower Pro thread is so long - trying & trying to get the fork properly sprung. I don't think I have come accross many complaining the fork is oversprung. I ride a Tower Expert and feel the ACT system works better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik_A View Post
    Keen- Is the Manitou Tower Expert a better system for heavier riders (over 200 lbs)?

Manitou Tower Expert Fork
    IMO yes. I weigh 195lb and run a firm spring w/ only 5 psi in the air assist (max. 50psi I believe) I tried a Pro running an x-firm spring and maximum pressure and it still felt like a marshmallow. Expert is easier to spring swap pulling the top cap vs. dropping the lowers on the Pro. Only downside to an Expert is it comes in a QR, @ least that, was the only option in 2012. I purchased a set of 20mm Tower Pro lowers for my Expert though.

mtbr member

Best XC 29er front shock for clydesdale?

I'll have to keep tabs on this thread as I have a similar need. Well, at least I want an option (reasonably priced) to be able to switch to a squishy fork when I feel the need on my rigid SS.
    Ben - Clydesdale - Type II Diabetic - 6'7", ~278lbs in 09/2011 - A1C 9.4%, ~228lbs in 07/2012 - A1C 5.6%, ~240lbs in 05/2013

MTBR Member
    Fox 34

mtbr member
    I'm heavy and tall, and can highly recommend the fox 34 platform. I really notice the difference when I go back to 26inch fox 32's and rockshox revelations as they seem very flexible. Not the cheapest option, but far better accuracy than a reba.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yea the Fox 34 looks sweet, but it is $1000 or so. Any decent Clyde-worthy options for under $400?

Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    Fox 34

human dehumidifier
    I could've bought a Fox but the reviews and comments on the CTD system turned me off. Didn't help that I read Fox was changing the internals for 2014 due to comments about the 2013. IMO they tried to fix something that wasn't broken with the new system.

I ended up choosing between a Manitou Tower and an X-fusion Slide. The X-fusion is a little less expensive but has no external compression adjustment except the lockout, and I wasn't satisfied with the info available about it. If you can wait X-fusion is supposed to have the Slant with 34mm stanchions Real Soon Now.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Is this the version, just waiting for the 2014 version? X-Fusion Slant RL2 Air suspension fork 1.5 to 1 1/8" taper steerer 15mm thru axle, 80/160mm travel, white

Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    I could've bought a Fox but the reviews and comments on the CTD system turned me off. Didn't help that I read Fox was changing the internals for 2014 due to comments about the 2013. IMO they tried to fix something that wasn't broken with the new system.
    I ended up choosing between a Manitou Tower and an X-fusion Slide. The X-fusion is a little less expensive but has no external compression adjustment except the lockout, and I wasn't satisfied with the info available about it. If you can wait X-fusion is supposed to have the Slant with 34mm stanchions Real Soon Now.

human dehumidifier
    Yeah I think that's the case, was mostly going on what I read though. The newer one has something called the Down Low Adjustment that drops travel for climbing. Whoever named that must not have known all the meanings for Down Low.

That's a little out of your budget I see. I thought it'd be less expensive, given the price of the Slide. The Slide with 15QR and straight steerer is $399 at Universal, less the 15% code VIP15 and free shipping over $150. The 9mm Slide is even less on E-bay, but I remember seeing a post here saying e-bay sales have no warranty.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

mtbr member
    Large stanchions, thru-axle and air spring, I think that's what you want. I'm brand agnostic after that.

My 6'6" buddy @230 is very happy with his Tower 29 fork.

Sometimes stuff costs a lot of money in this sport... for 30 to 60-milers, I think it's ok to get spendy.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com