mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Best shock pump out there?

I need to get myself a shock pump and I just started looking into my options today. I set my rear shock today with a friends Bontrager pump and it was a bit of a pain. I have the Fox Float CTD Evolution with Autosag on my Stumpy which needs to be pumped up to 300psi to be set. Getting that Bonty pump up to 300psi wasn't too difficult but the design of the pump/handle made it a bit harder than I would have liked. A lot of the shock pumps out there seem to share the same basic design, especially in the handle which is what I disliked the most. Im looking at getting the Sette Air 2 ST-35, which looks like it would eliminate the problem and from what I've read has been reviewed well here, but I was wondering if there is anything else out there that I should be looking at. Im not as concerned about the price if its something that will last and be comfortable to use.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    your criteria is quite unique. most of the time, air escaping from the shock pump when you disengage it from the shock is the most common issue.

i was in the market for a shock pump last season and tried the Planet Bike ShockMate Suspension Pump at REI.com but basically had the common problem with shock pumps and that is as stated above.

id save the $$$ and get a functional shock pump. i've find that 300 psi is not really hard to attain. im now using a FOX shock pump that came with my RF PRO. the handle is smaller as what you are describing but it works better than the PLANET BIKE pump in my opinion.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

Workin for the weekend!
    Fox makes a nice digital pump... As far as repeat ability goes, it's probably one of the best.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It looks like that Fox has the same handle design as what the Bonty did. Im looking for something with a more substantial grip to hold on to while pumping. That Sette has a beefier grip on it with some rubber to keep from slipping. The issue was that when I approached 300psi (the max for that Bonty pump) the resistance wasn't terrible but because of the handle design it did make it more difficult than I felt it should have been. The Sette looks like it would fix all of those issues, especially since it has a 400psi limit. Even though that product would likely work I didn't want to pull the trigger until I knew about all my potential options, which is why I posted to see if anyone knew of anything comparable or that had a similar design but was of higher quality or something like that.

It looks like that Planet Bike pump is the exact same design as the Sette, must be from the same manufacturer and just rebranded. Obviously comfort only matters if the pump actually works so if you had issues with the Planet Bike pump Im sure the Sette would share the same problems. So basically Im looking for something along the lines of that Sette/Planet Bike pump but of a higher quality. Anyone know of something like that? I've been searching on and off tonight and I haven't really found anything.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Anyone else have any ideas? I haven't really found anything thats perfect and Im not sure if I've missed anything.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just bought this one and really like it: Amazon.com: Topeak Pocket Shock DXG Bike Pump: Sports & Outdoors

The twin screw setup is great as it doesn't release a bunch of air when I take the pump off like my old Fox one did.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have a 300psi "Buzzy's Pollinator" shock pump. No frills, works well, about $40 most places.