mtbr member
    Mar 2010

best shock pump for a DHX Air 5.0?

I currently am using a Planet Bike shock pump. It's not bad, but tends to leak out air when I disconnect it. That makes fine tuning the shock (and particularily the bottom out control) very difficult.

Any recommendations on a new pump?

Thanks

Biking Like Crazy!
    What you might be experiencing...

ALL shock pumps "leak" air when disconected! It's just the back pressure in the hose that you hear.

Also when you put the pump on the shock it'll lose some pressure as the air fills the hose up again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Not if you put enough pressure (appx. the same as in shock - but you have to assume what is current pressure in it) before engaging valve. For example, topeak pump uses such system, you attach the hose, but then you have to turn in needle to engage the valve (some others have similar system as well).

With little practice, I can repeatedly attach/detach shock pump w/o loosing much pressure (maybe 0.5-1 psi per attach, if that).

What?
    blcman is right, You are not losing any air from the shock when you disconnect the pump. What you hear is the air that is in the shock pump escaping. The reason you see a small drop in pressure when you reattach the pump is because it takes a small amount of air to refill the hose. You can tell thats what happens because its the same amount of air every time(usually around 5psi). If you were loosing pressure from the shock, it would be a random amount every time.

mtbr member
    ^^^^ what he said ^^^^

usually cranky
    i use a fox on my dhx a4. but it really doesnt matter. dhx a's are fickle beasts.

aka DJ Papi
    THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST (Any Brand) SHOCK/FORK PUMP OUT THERE... PERIOD!!!

http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/PocketShockDXG

mtbr member
    The Sette shock pump works great and has that needle to press the valve that igorl mentioned.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by emrs0414
    THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST (Any Brand) SHOCK/FORK PUMP OUT THERE... PERIOD!!!

http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/PocketShockDXG

Agreed i use this on my DHX