mtbr member
    Oct 2006

best open bath, coil fork for recovering weight weenie?

(not completely recovered)

I want 160 - 170 mm travel (20 mm axle) in an open-bath, coil-sprung fork (I'm around 150 lb so would have to have appropriate coil).

thanks in advance for ideas...

mtbr member
    That would be a Marzocchi 55 RC3 ti then, more or less the only open bath, coil sprung 160-170mm fork available right now.

X Fusion, Rockshox, both are semi bath designs, Fox doesn't do a Van 36 except for the 180 model (figures they would kill their best fork). Manitou, Magura, Formula and DT Swiss? Not even a 160 fork between the lot of them!

Luckily, the 55 is an ace fork.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by rshalit View Post
    (not completely recovered)

I want 160 - 170 mm travel (20 mm axle) in an open-bath, coil-sprung fork (I'm around 150 lb so would have to have appropriate coil).

thanks in advance for ideas...
    Pick up a cheap Lyrik Coil and drop an Avalanche open bath cartridge in it. You will have the best coil fork on the planet, and if you can find a good price on a lightly used Lyrik (which I bet you can as a lot of people are jumping on the new Pike), you can have a steal of a fork.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Or better yet, Ava cart in a 55, open bath both sides for ultimate low maintenance

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    thanks for those replies - I thought the same of Fox not making 160 VAN.

some more quests if you can help, much appreciated!

1. I was thinking the same thing - find a Lyric coil and have Avalanche do their thing - but what about the coil, what is available for 150 lb rider, and is there a Ti coil available for it?

2. Don't know what "Ava cart in a 55, open bath both sides" means - isn't the coil side open bath (I don't know much)? Is Avalanche's cart that much better than Marzocchi's stock open-bath? Perhaps you could elaborate if you have time.

3. What about putting a coil into a Float and Avalanche the cartridge side? Would that make it a 160 VAN?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    If you plan on installing a ava cart then I don't see any reason to buy new? That means you can just buy a lightly used 160mm van, or marz or lyrik or blah blah.

mtbr member
    1) Lyrik Springs come in five weights, steel only. A Ti spring wouldn't make much difference as it's a short spring. At 150lb the medium or soft spring should be fine for you. Don't know US price but they're about 55 here in the UK, so not hugely expensive.

2) On a Lyrik the damper and spring are entirely enclosed and sealed within the stanchion, whilst the lowers have a separate small amount (15ml) of oil in them to lubricate the stanchions/bushings as they move.

Once an Avy damper is installed the damper side becomes open bath, meaning the oil for the damper and the oil lubricating the stanchions are the same and not separated by anything. But the spring side will still be semi bath and will require more frequent oil changes than the damper side.

If you were to get a Lyrik I would recommend using Enduro fork seals for the lowers, they have an extra oil seal in them and improve the service intervals. Still not as long as open bath but longer than stock.

On the 55 RC3 the spring and damper are open bath so both have a lot more oil in them and the maintenance intervals are much longer. Even if you ride every day you can go a year between oil changes on a 55 and it'll be fine.

The flip side is that changing the oil in an open bath fork means draining the whole fork down and disposing of a lot of oil. On a semi bath fork you can change the lowers oil without touching the spring and damper. Open bath forks also tend to be heavier on account of the extra volume of oil in them.

In practice I prefer open bath, long time between services suit me.

3) I have no idea, I'm not familiar with the current 36's internals.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    1)

2) On a Lyrik the damper and spring are entirely enclosed and sealed within the stanchion, whilst the lowers have a separate small amount (15ml) of oil in them to lubricate the stanchions/bushings as they move.
    My Lyrik coil is open bath on the coil side. Its a u-turn coil, so I can't comment on the straight coil version, but the u-turn is definitely open.

Class Clown
    What's the advantage of going open bath?