mtbr member
    Feb 2010

New question here. Best coil fork setup?

Hey guys, I'm building a Canfield Jedi and I want it to be the absolute best bike it can be.

Air forks suck in comparison to coil forks, but for some reason, all of the high end forks are using air springs, rather than coil.

Because of this, I'm thinking that I'll probably just have to go with a Boxxer Team, with the Avalanche Cartridge kit, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of an excellent coil fork, or possibly an excellent conversion for air forks?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Buy a coil fork to start with. I can't actually think of a DH fork running coil standard though, the cheapest Boxxer?

DFL
    Push ACS3 kit is the cats meow from what I've heard.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

Esto Vir
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    Push ACS3 kit is the cats meow from what I've heard.
    The OP is looking for a double crown. PUSH doesn't make anything past 170mm. I asked PUSH if they were looking at making conversions for anything larger a few months ago and they told me no.

Quote Originally Posted by Archi-Magus View Post
    I'm thinking that I'll probably just have to go with a Boxxer Team...
    THIS.

It'll be interesting to see what BOS does but I bet they jump on the AIR-SPRING band wagon like the rest of their lineup...

DFL
    Quote Originally Posted by bbarry404 View Post
    The OP is looking for a double crown. PUSH doesn't make anything past 170mm. I asked PUSH if they were looking at making conversions for anything larger a few months ago and they told me no.
    Reading comprehension>me.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

Esto Vir
    Haha

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Man, it kind of blows my mind how certain things are suboptimal, yet widely manufactured and shoved down our throats. At least there's the Boxxer Team, and we can have Avalanche make it amazing.

Thanks for the replies guys.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bbarry404 View Post

THIS.

It'll be interesting to see what BOS does but I bet they jump on the AIR-SPRING band wagon like the rest of their lineup...
    Yeah, I'm really hoping that BOS ends up making a super high end coil fork, but I won't hold my breath.

Esto Vir
    Archi-

I was looking for something else and found another coil option for you:

NERO C by Formula
    Focus on technique and save the puking for later. - L. McCormack

mtbr member
    Man, it kind of blows my mind how certain things are sub-optimal, yet widely manufactured and shoved down our throats.
    That's an interesting observation and one I largely agree with. I wish more people would think that way.

mtbr member
    Man, it kind of blows my mind how certain things are suboptimal, yet widely manufactured and shoved down our throats. At least there's the Boxxer Team, and we can have Avalanche make it amazing.

Thanks for the replies guys.
    It blows my mind how people find conspiracy theories easier to believe than the simple fact that others don't share your values.
    10 years ago, there was no such thing as a DC air fork, then Rockshox made one, and it out-sold their coil forks so they made more, Fox saw this and followed suit. Nothing was rammed down anyone's throat, manufacturers simply sell what people buy.

For what it's worth, a Boxxer team with an Avalanche damper out-performs anything stock Rockshox or Fox or Bos or Formula or Marzocchi or DVO have ever made, so it's not like you don't have options.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Nothing was rammed down anyone's throat, manufacturers simply sell what people buy.
    Neither of the extremes are totally true in my opinion. Huge marketing budgets contradict what you are saying somewhat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Neither of the extremes are totally true in my opinion. Huge marketing budgets contradict what you are saying somewhat.
    really, you have specific numbers on what Fox or Rockshox spent marketing air springs?

Didn't think so. But hey, marketing is evil right? And any time a product isn't exactly what you want, at the price you want, it's the result of an "industry" conspiracy.

In the old 'follow the money' school of thought: what do you believe they possibly could have to gain by selling air springs to people that don't want them? You really think it's more profitable to sell an air fork and include a pump as both the big players do, compared to selling a coil fork for the same price and asking most everyone to buy an aftermarket spring for $50 - when their cost on those springs is $1-2?

is it even worth pointing out how Marzocchi drove themselves bankrupt selling coil forks which you believe everyone wants?

Esto Vir
    The OP just wanted to know what coil options are out there and is bummed there arenít more...

Blah blah blah. Letís ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Focus on technique and save the puking for later. - L. McCormack