Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best bang for the buck <250$ 100mm travel fork?

896 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Isabis 
#1 · (Edited)
As the title says, can be new or up to 2011. used forks.

Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
I'd say Suntour Epicon without hesitation. Manitou Marvel is a good choice too if you can find the right sale. I'd stay away from Rock Shox bottom end stuff.

Also, make sure you get the correct steer tube (tapered vs straight 1 1/8") and be aware that you will need a new front wheel if you choose a different axle than what you currently have.

If you need any more help just ask.

#5 ·
#6 ·
They offer remote lockout or not and low speed compression adjust or not.
On ebay you can get a 1-1/8" straight steerer and 9mm dropouts. If you get a fork with 15mm thru-bolt you need a new wheel to match. Since you need a new wheel for disc anyway you may want to choose that for future compatibility. The straight/15mm is 249.

#7 ·
I picked up a 2011 Rockshox Recon Silver on clearance for $125 last year, and I have been very happy with it. I don't think I could have done better for the money, even after buying a stiffer spring for it. For me it ticked all the boxes - 32mm stanchions, v-brake posts, QR dropout, adjustable damping (albeit not the damper out there, but at least it has one).

I hear the Manitou forks in your price range are pretty good too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.