3diver
    Nov 2012

Best 7.25"x1.75" rear shock?

Hi, trying to replace my "Giant Air" shock on my Trance X4...Any good advice on a reliable, decent working shock that doesn't stick down or has other known major issues? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Almost every major shock maker is going to have [I]some[I] issues from time to time, but these days you are going to be fine with something like a Monarch RT3 or RP23. Even X-Fusion would be worth a look too, it all depends on how much you are willing to spend.
    Just make sure you find out what compression/rebound tune you need for the Trance, as putting the wrong tune on can cause the suspension to not be as good as it could be.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    This is a rare length and not many after market to choose from

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Higher end model's usually spec. w/ Fox RP23's but its going to cost $$. PUSH Industries might be able to custom build a shock, again $$. I have stayed away from frames that use proprietary length shocks for just such reasons.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    My take,
    If you're a heavyweight, & ride aggressively, get a Rockshock RT.
    If you're a lightweight rider, get a RP-23 with the large air can, & a light compression/rebound tune.
    &, even better, get a 7.5 X 2" stroke shock with one of those offset shock bushing kits to re-angle the head tube back.
    Somewhere around 5.7" of rear travel. Worked great for me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cscsw View Post
    This is a rare length and not many after market to choose from
    No kidding! I don't think many people replying looked closely at your shock spec and then tried to find a shock offered in that size.

I did, and came up totally empty. Zilch.

I would ride the bike as-is or start thinking about selling it and upgrading. Getting a new frame and moving everything over, *if* all your stuff is compatible, is not that expensive. Of course then you would probably struggle to sell the Giant frame & shock... so a whole new bike is best.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by suiramy View Post
    Hi, trying to replace my "Giant Air" shock on my Trance X4...Any good advice on a reliable, decent working shock that doesn't stick down or has other known major issues? Thanks.
    Nobody asked this so I will:
    What is wrong with your current shock?
    Have you done an air can/seal service yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    Nobody asked this so I will:
    What is wrong with your current shock?
    Have you done an air can/seal service yet?
    Looks like an original XC setup going toward AM , considering a 100mm RS Dart was replace w/ a 160mm Marz. 55R : Sould I replace rear shock with a longer eye to eye one ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    No kidding! I don't think many people replying looked closely at your shock spec and then tried to find a shock offered in that size.
    I did, and came up totally empty. Zilch.
    The RT3 is available in that size (well, 7.24 x 1.73, which is as close as makes no difference) -Monarch RT | SRAM
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

PMK
    mtbr member
    I have a Fox DHX 5.0 air that is oem @ 7.5 x 2.0. This is easily shortened to a 7.25 x 1.75 with an internal spacer of .25".

Best of luck with it.

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!