mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Best $200 xc fork - Tora 318 air or MX Pro Lo

I want to upgrade my 2 year old Rockshox J1 to something better. I've found the Marzocchi MX pro lo (coil fork) at Jenson for $189, and also the XC 600 TST 2 / ATA2 for the same price (air fork). For $20 more, I can get a Tora 318 solo air at cambria bikes. Of course, I will need to get a shock pump as well.

Will the coil MX Pro lo hold up to someone 200lbs or will it need stiffer springs? I have disc brakes right now so I don't need v-brake posts.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Tora. Damper wise, no comparison.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Former Bike Wrench
    I can't speak for the MX ProLo, though I will say it is a spring/air combo so you don't need stiffer springs...just extra air. It is, however using 30mm stanchions which are likely to be more flexible than the 32mm stanchions on the Tora

I own a Tora 318 Solo Air and it is an exceptional fork for the money. Yes, its heavy...but it is very laterally stiff for a QR fork. It also uses motion control which is found in Rock Shox's more expensive offerings (like the Reba) so the damper is excellent.

LDH
    mtbr member
    another big thumbs up for the tora 318.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    A Marz tech told me not long ago the Marz DJ3 is a good fork for heavy folks. I think ecyclingstore.com has them. Check with Marz tech for replacement springs if you need them. Theres someone auctioning one on ebay now.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld