mtbr member

Baseline settings for a DHX 5.0 on a heckler...

so i've got a DHX 5.0 on the way to me that i'll be putting on my heckler (previous generation, 2005)....got a pretty good deal too...really great shape, for $236........the shock is coming with a 450, and a 400lb spring, so hopefully one of those will work for my 213lb arse.......anyway, i know SC's website has baseline settings to start with, but i'm really trying to figure out what the boost valve is for.....? i know how the bottom out control works, but shrinking the volume in the piggy back chamber, and causing a ramp up in the last bit of travel...but what's the boost valve for? and do any of the variables affect any of the OTHER variables? i know reducing the volume in the piggy back makes the pressure go up...or it should...but do either of these affect the pro pedal at all? or small bump absorption? or big hit ability?? ok, well hopefully someone can help me out here....the main reason i went with the 5.0 is the fact that A) it's a coil, so a little less to deal with in that area vs. an air shock, and B) it's got the bottom out adjustability, so i'm not blowing through my travel like my swinger did....anyway, clue me in guys! thanks!

oh, and do the adapters for a manitou swinger also fit fox shocks? they should be the same diameter DU bushings correct?

AFAIK the SC website only shows setup for the current Heckler, not yours. I've got a 99, 02 and 07 Heckler so I pulled out my old 02 guide which is, unless they changed the guide specs which wouldn't totally surprise me, the same version as yours. It recommends a 350 lb spring for a 200 pounder and a 400 lb spring for a 220 pounder so you should be okay there. Otherwise the recommended setup for both weights are 1 turn of preload, 17mm of sag, 150 psi boost valve, 7 returns on the pro pedal and 1.5 returns on the bottom out, 7 returns on the rebound.

I'd imagine the propedal and rebound would be somewhat affected by psi and volume settings, but I'm no tech and I forget what the manual says. I've got a DHX on the 07 and follow SC's settings pretty much altho I often use the range of propedal for various rides or parts of rides. I've tried 350, 400 and 450 lb springs and weigh 200, find the 400 and 450 both feel pretty nice, still deciding. On the Heckler like yours I used a Progressive 5th Element with a 350 lb spring, and in the 2.25 stroke version (which way did you go with the DHX?) so no comparing there.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The Santa Cruz UK site still has shock settings for the previous model http://www.santacruzbikes.co.uk/bicycles/heckler4.html and just scroll down to "shock setup guide". Also, regarding the adapters, I do not think Manitou adapters will work in a Fox shock. I think Fox uses a .5" DU bushing and the Manitou is a 12mm (please double check this). Fox and Marzocchi adapters are the same.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    AFAIK the SC website only shows setup for the current Heckler, not yours. I've got a 99, 02 and 07 Heckler so I pulled out my old 02 guide which is, unless they changed the guide specs which wouldn't totally surprise me, the same version as yours. It recommends a 350 lb spring for a 200 pounder and a 400 lb spring for a 220 pounder so you should be okay there. Otherwise the recommended setup for both weights are 1 turn of preload, 17mm of sag, 150 psi boost valve, 7 returns on the pro pedal and 1.5 returns on the bottom out, 7 returns on the rebound.

I'd imagine the propedal and rebound would be somewhat affected by psi and volume settings, but I'm no tech and I forget what the manual says. I've got a DHX on the 07 and follow SC's settings pretty much altho I often use the range of propedal for various rides or parts of rides. I've tried 350, 400 and 450 lb springs and weigh 200, find the 400 and 450 both feel pretty nice, still deciding. On the Heckler like yours I used a Progressive 5th Element with a 350 lb spring, and in the 2.25 stroke version (which way did you go with the DHX?) so no comparing there.
    oh i for sure went with the 2.25 travel...that was the main thing i wanted, as the 2" stroke/ 5" of rear wheel travel didn't really seem enough for me...the lack of support on that swinger didn't help any, but it should be good now...yeah i've seen the shock settings on the UK website, and that's were i got the 400/450 from...which i lucked out cause the shock is coming with both...but, hopefully i wont need a 350...i'm sure the 400 will be close to what i need....

so is the boost valve basically just a secondary "spring" for the dhx 5.0? like at a certain point the spring weight of the coil, and the spring weight of the boost valve combine to give you the bottom out feature?

just wondering how this all works....

The boost valve afaik is a secondary spring on the compression valve and helps regulate oil flow, the air volume relates to the progressiveness of the ending stroke, thus bottom out. I think that's how it works...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique