Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TSC
    Buehliever

Good job! Avy'd Marzocchi 55

Craig, at Avalanche Racing Products, is starting to make an Avalanche Advantage Cartridge Kit for the Marzocchi 55. He already has the RC3 cartridge kit in production, but he wants to expand to other types of 55s. To do this he needs to gather data (i.e. take measurements) from the different versions of the Marzocchi 55s (e.g. ATA, Micro, CR, etc.). I volunteered my 2010 Marzocchi 55 Micro Air Ti Fork to the cause, but it might be the only non-RC3 he has received so far.

Note: Shipping via UPS is around $18 if you use the right size box (bigger boxes cost more). I don't know if Craig will reimburse shipping, but he is doing free installs if you want to get your fork Avy’d (and you will probably want it).

Avalanche Downhill Racing, Inc.
    12 Davidson Road
    Colchester, CT 06415-1600
    USA

Phone 860-537-4306 Fax 860-537-8260
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

TSC
    Buehliever
    FWIW: The RC3 version was created with the help of frequenters to the Knolly forum; many of whom are diehard Avalanche Suspension fans.

In Knolly Forum: Avy'd Marzocchi 55
    Last edited by TSC; 01-21-2013 at 02:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Good job! Avalanche Damper Cartridge

i've got 2 rides in on the Avalanche cartridge. first ride was fairly dissappointing. w/ the standard settings for the "all mountain" build, it just didn't seem to be that much of a step up from the RC3 55 cartridge. the Ava cart. doesn't have an adjuster knob & i didn't have a screwdriver that fit, so i rode it as it came & just used the stock tune.
    next day i filed down a screwdriver to fit & hey, it's a different fork! @ my weight of 180 lbs. ready to ride, the only adjustment i could use on the stock Marz. 55 was the rebound. w/o any spring preload, zero compression dialed in & no air w/ correct oil height, i still would have about on inch of unused travel. i liked the the fork, but it would have been nice to be able to tune it for a different feel or ride. well, now i think you can get it to feel or ride however you want w/in the design use of a 160mm fork.

now that Avalanche has got into the shorter travel forks, i think you're going to start seeing or hearing alot about these cartridges. if you've got a Fox 36, Rock Shock Lyrik, or Marz. coil or air 55, or now even the 44, give one some serious thought. they are expensive & you need a tool for comp. adjust, but other then that, they are some seriously fine
    fork technology.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    how did you go about getting him to experiment on your fork? ive got a 55 ata2 tst2 he could definielty experiment with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    just give him a call---860 537 4306---he might need an ata model to take some measurements from. @ the time i called, he needed a 2010 55 RC3 Ti to take specs. & installed the cartridge w/o the $100 charge. but i had to pay shipping both ways, $45.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    nhodge,

Can you tell us what you settled on for the adjustments, as far as rebound, compression, spring preload, etc? And how much sag you are getting with those and your weight? Just curious.

First ride with my 2012 55 RC3 with Craig't cart is tomorrow.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    nhodge,

Can you tell us what you settled on for the adjustments, as far as rebound, compression, spring preload, etc? And how much sag you are getting with those and your weight? Just curious.

================================================== ==============================================

rebound-8 to 10 out from full clockwise
    compression-15 out from full clockwise
    25% sag w/zero spring & air preload @180 riding weight
    i'm getting all but 1/2" travel w/ this cart., where on same trails w/ Marz. cart. i'd still 1 1/2" left
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    nhodge,

you must have tried it out by now. give us your impression. did the original settings work for you? answer the q's you asked me.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    you must have tried it out by now. give us your impression. did the original settings work for you? answer the q's you asked me.
    I've been swamped with work so I've only gotten out on one ride for a few hours so far, and I was wanting to wait until I got another ride or two to get a better overall feel before I threw up any kind of review or comments.

But initial impressions are as would be expected, completely incredible. Brake dive is pretty much non-existent, and mid stroke support is fantastic. Much like the rear end of my bike just "disappeared" under me when I put the Avy'd Van RC on, this is a nearly identical feeling. I can now focus on everything else and not the weak points of the fork and what it's doing (which become very apparent after running a custom tuned rear shock.)

I did replace the oil seals and dust wipers with RWC stuff when Cheezwhip and I tore the fork apart and installed the cart. So in that sense it's still like a brand new fork and needs a bit of time to break in. Install is a breeze, the only thing I can say is it to take a bit more care and caution when removing the stock Marz rebound rod to install in Craig's cart. It's not hard by any means, but it's just a really fragile part, so take your time and be careful.

I've left all the adjustments at Craig's recommended settings for now. I didn't notice anything feeling like it needing adjusting on the ride last weekend, but again, I've only been out once. I'm about 215 RTR, and with just a few clicks of spring preload to put some tension on the spring, and no air preload. I get about 25% sag in attack mode IIRC.

I plan on riding again this weekend, so I'll report back. FWIW, these are the trails I've been riding it on: Video: "Sunday" With Bryn Atkinson - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    This is an Update/Crosspost from the same AVY'd 55 Thread on the Knolly Forum.

Original Review:
    Avy'd Marzocchi 55

Updated Thoughts:
    Avy'd Marzocchi 55

Update:
    The fork has been really just stellar - it's freed me up to notice other things on the ride other than wrestling with the bike (like "my front tire isn't biting very well in the corners today" or "was that an equisetum I just rolled over?")

Craig suggested I turn the preload down a little and give a few pumps into the air preload to balance things out - haven't played much with the compression yet but when I'm riding, it's kind of a pain to bust out the tools and besides, it's pretty d@mned good where it's at. (I do want play with this setting more though).

I settled with the rebound @ 8.5 clicks (which is approximately 13 clicks on the production model carts - my unit is a preproduction cart so the rebound range is a little less granular than the production ones).

I'm really appreciating the midstroke support and how the bike is sitting more level/higher in the travel - it's just so composed that I think I'm actually riding faster... I find myself having more of these "oh sh!t" moments when I realize I'm going faster than usual on the same trails (usually resulting in me grabbing a fistful of brake lever) - I attribute this to the suspension doing a better job of smoothing the trails out.

I really liked the stock RC3 EVO Ti but the improvement to me going to the AVY cart is dramatic - I couldn't be happier with the upgrade so a big thank you to Craig for making this available on the 55!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

MPI
    mtbr member

Avy'd Marzocchi 55

Hi!

The new damper unit is in my 55 RC3 evo (Ti) but it is not Ti anymore. It has shortened X-fusion Vengeance steel spring inside. Weight difference app. 100g. My riding weight is about 238 lbs (108 kg) geared so the Ti spring is too soft and I did not wanted to use the air side preload. The shortening of the spring was made prof suspension tuner (MX, motorcycles, snowmobiles etc). Haven´t had time to ride it yet. Internally the fork was in good shape especially bushings that was little bit of surprise.
    http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

Cougar797
    Jun 2012
    Is AVY still needing non RC3 55's to play with? I'd give mine up for a bit to get an AVY cart in it.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougar797 View Post
    Is AVY still needing non RC3 55's to play with? I'd give mine up for a bit to get an AVY cart in it.
    I'm not sure. I know that all my friends with the AVY'd RC3 forks are saying that the Avalanche Advantage cart turned their RC3 from a great fork into an amazing fork--all the small bump compliance and other great Marz features without brake dive and other Marz shortcomings.

I've got an AVY'd air version of the 55 which I haven't got to ride yet because of the Wyoming winter (it's killing me).

BTW, I just forwarded Craig (owner of Avy) a link to this thread so you might get a reply here but it's his busy season; so you may have to call him directly at 860-537-4306.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have a 2009 Marzocchi 55 RS that could have some help from Avy. Still need some forks to try stuff on ? I'm in Canada but would be happy to pay shipping to get the Avy treatment.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by guim View Post
    I have a 2009 Marzocchi 55 RS that could have some help from Avy. Still need some forks to try stuff on ? I'm in Canada but would be happy to pay shipping to get the Avy treatment.
    Call Craig directly at 860-537-4306. He will let you know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Is there a weight difference between the Avy and stock cartridge set-up?

MPI
    mtbr member

Avy'd Marzocchi 55

Mine 55 RC3 Evo Ti weighted after conversion and with non Ti X-Fusion stiffer spring 2490g. I did not remember to weight the damper unit ( both new and old).
    http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityfreaky View Post
    Is there a weight difference between the Avy and stock cartridge set-up?
    The Avy innards are higher quality so they will weigh a bit more. The biggest difference would be in the amount of oil required and I'm not sure how it compares. Sorry that I'm not more helpful.

TSC
    Buehliever
    I rode several trails in Moab over the weekend and can't say enough about how great my Marz 55 with the Avalanche Advantage Cartridge kit handled everything. It is a 2010 Marzocchi 55 Micro Air Ti that has 160mm of travel. The Avy kit took an old divey fork and made it amazing. The super chunky sections of Porcupine Rim trail were smoother than I've ever felt. I was passing everyone; then they would re-pass me as I waited for my buddy who was riding with a stock 2012 Lyrik Solo Air RC2 DH (170mm of travel).

mtbr member
    Last Saturday Cheezwhip and I headed up to the shore with another friend. We both took our Chili's, which are both full Avy'd. Sir Cheez had swapped out his Avy'd 55 for his stock 66 RC3 ti. He was looking to see if the Chili with the 66 fork would be enough bike for him and he could sell off his DH rig.

We rode Neds a few times and some other new trail called Pangor I beleive. Both are rocky and bumpy, tons of small ledge drop offs, etc. We traded bikes for a bit. Even though the 66 has more travel and bigger stanchions, I much prefered my Avy'd 55. The quality of the travel far outsurpassed the stock 66. With the 55, no matter how I hit the drops, features, bumps etc, the fork felt extremely controlled. With the 66, it just didn't feel nearly as controlled.

Cheez felt the same way I believe, but I will let him chime in with his thoughts.

mtbr member

Avy'd Marzocchi 55

Moving closer to selling the DH bike - if I do, that 66 is going to Craig @ AVY.

We hit the lower half trails on Seymour and the Chili was great!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

Cougar797
    Jun 2012
    What in the bejesus is a Chili?

Secondly, did the AVY'd 55 control big impacts as well as the longer travel 66 as well. It sounds like as far as rapid small chunder the AVY isn't going to be beat.

TSC
    Buehliever
    I can answer half of your question. Chili is the nickname for the Knolly Chilcotin: Knolly Bikes | Chilcotin. I started a similar thread on the Knolly forum in an effort to get Craig the 55s he needed so he would do mine.* My assumption is that the two posters thought it was the Knolly forum thread to which they replied so they didn't clarify.

* Originally I posted this thread on the Knolly forum because:

1) Many of the Knolly riders had already fell in love with Avalanche's products so it was an easy sell.

2) Many/most of the Knolly riders are crazy-passionate about their bikes and will spend money until it hurts (and then dull the pain with alcohol and keep spending) to make their bikes perform better.

Personally, my AM bike (a "Chili") has an Avy'd Marz 55 on front and an Avy'd Fox VanRC on the rear. My DH bike (a Giant Reign) has an Avy'd RockShox Boxxer on front and an Avy'd Fox VanRC on the rear. Here's a PB article about an Avy'd Boxxer Avalanche Racing Replacement Fork Cartridge Kit - Pinkbike

mtbr member

Secondly, did the AVY'd 55 control big impacts as well as the longer travel 66 as well. It sounds like as far as rapid small chunder the AVY isn't going to be beat.
    More importantly, what in the hell is a bejesus?

TSC
    Buehliever
    I think the smart arse answer is all your going to get today; but rscecil007's post seemed to answer your question in a round about way.

Even though the 66 has more travel and bigger stanchions, I much prefered my Avy'd 55. The quality of the travel far outsurpassed the stock 66. With the 55, no matter how I hit the drops, features, bumps etc, the fork felt extremely controlled. With the 66, it just didn't feel nearly as controlled.
    Pangor: Riding the Pangor trail (Mt Seymour) with Kin on Sept 03 2012 - YouTube

Neds: Neds Atomic Dustbin Run#2 - Seymour BC 052012 - YouTube

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast