Lord Thunderbottom

Bonking ... not feelin' well Ario RL Driving me CRAZY

I have a 2011 Spec Camber Elite 29 purchased Nov of last year

The Ario shock worked well for a few months until one day when it got cold (45ish F), it went completely flat and wouldn't hold air even after warming up in the house

Sent out for service the first time

came back rebuilt and they said there was something loose inside, wasn't properly tightened at the factory, I aired it up to set the sag and off we went, no issues for a few months, it ran perfectly

a couple of weeks ago I started having issues again, it did not lose air completely this time and I'm not hearing any air leaks when I sit on it but I still can't get the sag to stay where it needs to be

when inflated to 170PSI (a little over my weight based on the chart when geared up, 260ish lbs) it sags correctly, part way thru a ride (30 min or so) I look down to see almost 1/2 the travel taken up when rolling on level ground

rebound is set to full fast and it does come back up shortly after I unload it, but it still won't sag properly when warmed up

it was sent out and rebuilt again, as of last night's ride (first since rebuild) it's acting exactly the same as before I sent it out, when reconnecting the shock pump after the ride, it didn't really lose much if any air (maybe 5lbs but that could be from just unscrewing the shock pump)

my question is am I having issues simply because the shock is cheap crap, I'm heavy, or could it also be affected by other factors?

Is there any tuning I can do with this shock to compensate for this issue or am I better off buying a better shock and tuning that

I've been looking at upgrading to a fox RP23 or the never version of the same, or a Monarch RT3, which should I buy, what tune etc?

thanks for the input, sorry for writing a novel
    Last edited by TitanofChaos; 08-10-2012 at 09:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Personally i'd go w/ the Fox. At 260lb. you would benefit by having the shock custom tuned.

Lord Thunderbottom
    no help from the suspension gurus?