mtbr member
    May 2007

New question here. Ario 2.R Rear Shock Problem??

My new bike came equipped with a Rockshox Ario 2.R rear shock. Initially when I mounted the bike, the rear shock had zero sag (I'm 165lbs). After I let out a bit of air, the sag increased only slightly, to approximately 1.5mm. When I attempted to let out more air, no more was released. Even after some light riding around the yard, the travel was only around 6mm. Can anyone offer any experience with this? Am I looking at a defective shock, or am I just missing something? Next step -- 2nd opinion at my LBS.

mtbr member
    Try using a valve core remover to undo the valve and let all the air out. Are you sure though its empty? With my rear shock i have to push the valve and put pressure on the shock to to get all the air out....

Another thing could be it was over inflated. If your that weight and sitting on it meant it didnt move at all it must have had some amount of air in it!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thank you for your reply. I agree that it doesn't make much sense. I would have expected plenty of air in it for it to be so stiff. As I am new to a shock like this, I only let a little air out before I mounted the bike a second time (I don't have a shock pump yet, so I didn't want to over-do it). Since that helped a bit, it was a no-brainer to let some more air out. I tried several times to let out air in the same manner as the first time, but not a bit of additional air came out. This was all this past weekend. I haven't spent any more time with it. I'll have to play with it some more based on your recommendation before I take it for a checkup this weekend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    You probably have the lockout lever engaged. Flip that lever over the other way and it will drop like a rock.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the response. This shock has remote lockout, and I cycled it a couple of times to assure it was toggling okay at the shock. It seemed okay, and appeared to be in the non-locked out position. I will certainly check again to assure it is truly and fully open.

mtbr member
    I dont think ario has lockout but rather a platform set at a certain level - even with it on the shock would move a tiny tiny bit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My guess then is that it's defective. It is acting as if the lockout is on, so the lever must not be working.

mBz
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The default setting on the shock is locked out. When you move the cam on the shock, you're actually moving it to open. The spring force in the shock returns it to locked. Make sure you have the remote properly installed, this is likely the problem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mBz
    The default setting on the shock is locked out. When you move the cam on the shock, you're actually moving it to open. The spring force in the shock returns it to locked. Make sure you have the remote properly installed, this is likely the problem.
    So if the remote lockout cam isn't hooked up then you'll need to sit on the bike while rotating the cam all the way over.

If your remote lockout is hooked up make sure it's properly adjusted and that moving the lever turns the cam completely.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Okay, this evening I was able to spend a few minutes with the bike based on some discussion with a coworker (with a longshot idea unrelated to anything mentioned in this string so far). I am happy (but also quite embarrassed) to report that it was indeed the lockout.

With the remote actuation there is a thumb lever which takes a bit of force to push, and cams the lever on the shock in one direction. I made the assumption that this locked it out. Then there is a small button that, when pushed, pops the cam on the shock quickly in the opposite direction. I assumed this unlocked the shock. My assumptions were exactly backwards. This must be where the term "poploc" originated -- the small buttom quickly pops the lever to the locked out position. Some of you had it pegged.

Anyway, jyeager was exactly correct in the original post, stating that it would drop like a rock when flipped the right direction. With no air and my 165lbs, it truly did drop like a rock. I guess the shock pump is next on the shopping list.

To all who responded.... thanks for you patience with this newbie!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    mBz knew the shock well enough to know it was the opposite of intuitive.
    I am not familiar with that shock personally. For what it's worth, my SID Team front shock works the way you'd expect. When you 'pop' the lockout the suspension travels, and when you push down the lever to the locked position it's locked out.
    That's what seems intuitive to me too, so don't be too hard on yourself.