mtbr member

Ario 2.R Question (Rock Shox Rear)

I just bought a bike that has the Ario 2.R rear suspension installed. My first full suspension bike, so this is new to me.

I have three questions on this. (I already checked the online manual and service guide)

1) When you hit the remote release button (poploc), the lever just slowly slides back at its own pace. ( I have a Rock Shox remote front fork that pops back immediately). Is there anything I can do to speed this up? I thought there may be a spring to adjust, line to grease, cable to check, etc.

2) The shock works as advertised. With the shock open, I get the specified amount of dampening based on the sag adjustment I set. With the shock locked, the rear is stiff EXCEPT if I hit a bump! If I hit any bumps on the road/trail the back of my bike bounces up and down several times before it settles.

In an extreme example, if I have the rear shock locked and I go off a regular curb at slow speed the rear of my bike bounces about 5 times before settling out. With the shock open, and the rebound correctly set, I barely get one bounce...it just absorbs it and keeps going.

Anyway, I was wondering if that bounce, when locked, behavior is normal. I know it is not supposed to function as a shock when locked and I drive off curbs...I get that. I just didn't know it would bounce up and down like it does.

3) What should I lube it with? Would something like Slick Honey or Judy Butter be fine for a rear shock?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thus far, seems like a great shock. Look forward to putting some miles on it!

-t

mtbr member
    How about on ANY rear shock with a lockout?

If you ride locked out, and hit a bump, does the rear end bounce a lot?

Thanks,
    -t

Former Bike Wrench
    Most shocks with lock-outs will have a threshold limit that allows the shock to activate with a large enough impact. However, the shock should act as normal and simply rebound and then be locked out again. It should not "bounce" at all.