Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone using one of these: Manitou Minute Pro / Manitou Radium Expert? (2012-13)

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Cary 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I couldn't find much reviews or comments on newer Manitou stuff.
I'm currently interested in those for my new (budget) build:

Fork: Manitou Minute Pro 140mm
Shock: Manitou Radium Expert 190/50

I read some good things about those on the (very) few posts I found here and the price is damn right for my budget.

The Radium is selling under 200 and the shows up under 300 from time to time on ebay and the likes...

FWIW, I'd prefer not to spend hundreds on tuning and would like to use them out of the box.

I do mostly XC, trail and some light all mountain stuff. I'm not into big drops at all.
Those would be used on a Ghost ASX Plus frame which is intended for 140mm travel (rear/front).

Considering I could get both rear and front suspensions for less then $500 is extremly tempting, which is why I was trying to find more info about newer Manitou products.

So if anyone can share experience with Manitou Minute or Radium, I'd appreciate!

Cheers!

Fred

See less See more
#2 ·
My last few bikes have been equipped w/ Manitou forks - great performance & excellent customer service. I do prefer the air spring system on the Expert series vs. the Pro. You won't have to "spend hundreds" on tuning but depending on your weight (above / below average) may have to replace the coil booster spring.

#3 ·
Thanks keen... I'm 5'11" 177lbs - I don't know that stuff very well yet, would I fall into the "average" weight class?

Regarding the Expert vs Pro, the minute pro is not available in 140mm, which is why I was looking at the Pro 140mm.... not sure if 10mm of travel can break the bike geometry that much, but I've read more front travel is OK, less is not recommended... but again, I'm a newbie so all I know is what I read...

Cheers!

#4 ·
Manitou forks are easy to tune and setup. You shouldn't need to change any springs weighing 177lbs. The ABS+ damper is top notch and the MARS spring is super plush. My cousin has a radium shock on his bike and its pretty simple. It only has a rebound, air spring, and lockout adjustments, he seems to like it and hasn't had any issues with it.

#6 ·
I have a few 20mm axle Minute Pro 140mms and love them, the MARS spring is awesome. From 2010 on (unless something changed) they 140's come with firm springs. I am just about 6'0 and approx. 215 lbs, the firm is fine for me. I can push my weight when bouncing and use a good bit of travel in the parking lot test, but 2 click of compression on a normal trail ride and I come close but never bottom harshly. The pro is a pretty light fork for a 140mm and reasonably stiff, but it only has 32mm stanchions. I also have various RS 20mm forks as well with the blackbox damper and such which works well, but I keep coming back to my Minute as the choice (or my Nixon Super Intrinsic - no longer made) great forks.

#7 ·
Manitou's dampers are top notch. I run a marvel on my hardtail and it is amazingly plush and controlled. I put s radium on my sons bike and am equally impressed. I just wish they would come out with a 150mm 34-36 mm stationed fork.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.