mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Anyone know what's up with Hippie Tech?

I shipped a shock to them 3 weeks ago and haven't heard a word from them. My calls and emails have gone unanswered. Anyone know anything?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Not long after I wrote this I got a welcomed call from Jerry at Hippie tech. My shock is safely in their hands and should be back on my bike late next week....

squish is good
    Hmm, it seems Jerry has been a bit flaky lately. There have been a few reports similar to yours.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    They ignored 2 emails from me that simply asked if they perforrmed work on Swinger 3 ways.

I think I need to Upgrade
    They aren't called HIPPIE tech for nothin'.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtvet
    They ignored 2 emails from me that simply asked if they perforrmed work on Swinger 3 ways.
    To answer your question, they do work on 3-way's, Jerry is in the process of repairing and rebuilding mine right now...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtvet
    A few years back I needed a swinger 4-way air worked on, and contacted them a couple of times but never heard anything back. I figured they were out of business, but apparently not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I emailed them earlier this week to inquire about service with no reply. They're not the only ones to disregard my inquiries to rebuild a shock. I guess It's quicker/easier to just replace. Too bad, I'd rather give a smaller company the business but I guess they don't need the work.

So who's phoning and who's emailing? If you're phoning are you leaving a message and getting no response? If you're emailing just why do you expect so much from an outfit called hippietech? Hippies don't do email, do they? Or do true hippies relish email and these guys have an odd sense of humor? Just how do we pigeonhole everyone involved?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Well, there site does have this to say:

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.hippiesuspension.com/hippietechsuspension/index.html
    THE LATEST NEWS FROM HIPPIE-TECH SUSPENSION!

The Spring has Sprung here at Hippie Tech as we are freshly back from racing Downhill and Dual Slalom at the Sea Otter Classic!!! We had an awesome time at Sea Otter and are back in the shop trying to get everyone's broken items repaired and back out into the land of the living!!!
    Please realize that we may take a bit longer to return your calls and e-mails this time of year as we are experiencing extremely high numbers of repair requests and WE THANK YOU FOR YOUR BUSINESS!!!!!
    We take great pride in RACING and TESTING the products that we Service in order to give you the best results for your Riding Pleasure!
    Granted, it's been a few weeks since Sea Otter, but since Hippie Tech seems to be a one man operation I wouldn't be surprised if they are a little slow with emails.

mtbr member
    I recently had Dirtlabs rebuild my Lyrik. Communication was good and they turned it around in three days. The fork works great. I would highly recommend them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Anybody on here actually have any other way besides emailing/calling the shop to get in touch with Jerry at HippieTech???

They've had my shock for 6 weeks now. Ive sent 6 or so emails and made about a dozen phone calls, left messages about half the time trying to find out what's going on with my shock I sent them. I got one response from Jerry, he said id have my shock last week and I was planning on that. Man, am I sorry I sent my shock to these guys!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Its been 7 weeks now, really sucks not having a bike this time of year. At week 6.5 I got a phone message from Jerry saying he took it apart and needed to order some parts. Just wanted to share my experiences with Hippie Tech with everyone!

banned
    Why does anyone do business with these guys? There was a thread last year or the year before about them and someone didn't get their fork back in the deal and didn't pursue it.

However, the concept remains the same: There was a theft involved in this bad customer experience and Hippie benefited from it. Any other situation would have used the word "stealing".

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I actually did a search on Hippie Tech before sending my shock to them and read their review on mtbr before sending my shock to them: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/suspension/s...80_143crx.aspx

If I had known what I know now I would have used one of the other companies. There is'nt a lot of negative information on them in the archives. I will post a review of my experiences when the situation has been settled.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by halftard
    I recently had Dirtlabs rebuild my Lyrik. Communication was good and they turned it around in three days. The fork works great. I would highly recommend them.
    Agreed, Dirtlabs worked on my 2007 Talas and did a great job. Recommended!

Gigantic Hawk
    I e-mailed them last week about getting a rebuild on my old Quadra. I got a response the next day saying that he couldn't fix it, but he could build me a Judy that would fit my bike. I e-mailed him back on Friday, and am waiting to hear what he has to say about the questions I asked. I hope you get your fork soon. He is there since he is e-mailing me. Good luck.

Gigantic Hawk
    Did you ever get your fork?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I sent my Rockshox sid to this company close to three months ago and also sent $150.00 USA payment to have it fixed. About a month ago after enquiring about what was going on I got an email saying that the fork was fixed and was on its way back to me and he would email me a tracking number the next day.

He never sent me the tracking number so about a week later I sent Jerry another email and he replied to it two weeks after this saying the fork was sent back to him because of wrong address and he would send it out again and would email me the tracking number. This was two weeks ago and I've not heard a thing from him since. I guess it looks like I have to take steps to get my fork and money back from him.

I really wish I heard the bad things about this company before I sent my fork to them. I would have had my fork fixed months ago if i did .
    Last edited by Freezer; 06-28-2009 at 04:02 AM.

banned
    I would register a BBB complaint also. They might be able to get you your fork back, but also they might be able to at least register the complaint so others can find out as well.

It goes on from post 5:
    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195106

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I just sent Jerry an email saying that if I don't get this sorted out in two weeks I will contact the authorities in his area so i willl give him until then to get this sorted out. If it isn't by then I'll contact the BBB and police etc.

I'm beginning to wonder if he fixed my fork and then sold it and also thought he could keep my $150.00 as well. If he has he's going to be in quite a bit of trouble.

And that link you posted Jerk_Chicken has me even more worried as now even if I do get the fork back I'll wonder what he had done to it. What a big mistake I made.
    Last edited by Freezer; 06-28-2009 at 04:35 AM.

banned
    Actually, someone posted about such a situation in the past. I remember I replied in that thread about how that was something known as "Stealing". Jerry agreed to do something with the guy's fork, agreed on something, fork never delivered, and the owner just decided to let it go because it was old anyhow.

I really wonder what's going on with this company and if they're in some trouble. I've gotten wind of too much on and off the forums, and I'd stay far away from them.

I think the BBB of Boise might handle this (HT is in Idaho, right?):

http://boise.bbb.org/

Here's Hippie Tech's profile:

http://www.bbb.org/boise/business-re...y-id-90004456/

Rated B-

1 complaint, delivery issues, with resolution

Add yours to the list, because it seems the BBB will get results. I would just report it, so there's a record. Let the BBB and Jerry deal with it because you've given him more than enough chances. It should be reported.

This link might work to get to the direct reporting form for HT.
    Last edited by Jerk_Chicken; 06-28-2009 at 04:39 AM.

Gigantic Hawk
    Take this how you will. I got a great deal from HippieTech. I won't say the process was without hiccups, but I did get a nice fork.

The whole thing took about a month, one week of e-mails, two weeks of build time, and a week to ship it. I paid $200 for a new-to-me Judy (I didn't have a fork to send in.) Jerry built it custom for my old school Bianchi since my Quadra died and was not fixable. The fork looks sweet, and feels nice. I have yet to get it on the trails due to the constant rain here in Maine.

I hope things work out for the best. Just keep on him. I called Jerry non stop until I would get a call back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang
    Take this how you will. I got a great deal from HippieTech. I won't say the process was without hiccups, but I did get a nice fork.

The whole thing took about a month, one week of e-mails, two weeks of build time, and a week to ship it. I paid $200 for a new-to-me Judy (I didn't have a fork to send in.) Jerry built it custom for my old school Bianchi since my Quadra died and was not fixable. The fork looks sweet, and feels nice. I have yet to get it on the trails due to the constant rain here in Maine.

I hope things work out for the best. Just keep on him. I called Jerry non stop until I would get a call back.

Interesting how when you first contacted him my fork had already been with him for two months and here you have your fork fixed up and back to you and I'm still waiting. Very strange.

As he hasn't replied to any of my latest emails I think I will file a BBB complaint in the next couple of days and hope that gets me my fork back. If I ever do see it again I'll send it in to dirtlabs and have them completely check it over to make sure everything has been done to it that I paid for.

The fork I sent in is a 2004 sid team that I bought off of Ebay and even though it looked almost new and was hardly used i wanted to get it checked over, fixed (if necessary) and updated to the 2007 model and have a new lockout lever put on. I'm sure this all could have been done in a week not three plus months.

Update (June 30): Hippie Tech (Jerry) just sent my fork by express airmail and i got it two days after it was shipped. Just by looking at it there are a few things i am not too overly happy with. First, I paid for a new Rockshox lockout lever to be put on and received a nice cheap $0.50 one (the original one just had a small nick on the end of it and I now wish I had not even asked to get it replaced). Next, the top cover for the left side of the fork is not there and I don't think you can use one since the shreader valve part he replaced (which had absolutely nothing wrong with it) has no threads in it. Very strange as the one that was originally there had a cap and both were in perfect shape. Lastly, the team decal that looked brand new has been wiped with something and is now completely white. There are also a number of new scratches/chips here and there that weren't there before (maybe to be expected though since the fork was being worked on?). None of the original parts were returned and no receipt or list of what was done to my fork was given. I can only guess as to what was done to the inside of it. Here is a picture of the fork and also a picture of what my fork (not actual one) looked like before. Now I have to go and buy a new Shreader valve/top cap, a new clima-control lever and have the fork properly checked out. What a waste of $150.00 USA (plus shipping) and three and a half months of waiting. And what a great company.
    I'm definitely going to be contacting the BBB over this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Freezer; 07-01-2009 at 02:09 AM.

Gigantic Hawk
    ^^^^
    Best of luck to you. The big difference here is that I didn't send him a fork. He built me a Judy from the stuff he already had. He did have to track down some parts (mint cond. lowers for ex.) so it took longer than he originally quoted, but the fork came out nice.