JWA
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Is anyone familiar with the travel options on the new Manitou Circus?

Hi All,

I'm putting together an STP in anticipation of Ray's opening up in Milwaukee, and need a decent fork. I'm liking the looks of the new Manitou Circus Expert, but I'm a bit unclear on the models and the travel adjustment.

So far online retailers are listing black 100mm models and white 80mm models. I need 100mm and would prefer white. The official specs say "Travel: 80, 100 & 130mm (internally adjustable for 80 & 100mm)". Does that mean that the 130 model isn't adjustable but that the 80 and 100's can be switched between the two settings? Or does it mean that the 130 can be adjusted down to 80 and 100?

If the 80/100 can be swapped, does anyone know what's involved with making the change? The official Manitou site is surprisingly low on info and the owners manual doesn't mention adjusting travel at all.

Thanks,

--Josh

Big Gulps, Alright!
    In all likelihood, all three models are adjustable between each travel setting. This usually entails pulling the air spring and removing a spacer (or installing one to reduce travel).

What?
    Im pretty sure the 130 is 130 only and the other two can be changed. But your best bet is to email Manitou and ask them to be certain. You can send them something from the website (manitoumtb.com) or the email I get responses from is Manitoutech@hayesbicycle.com.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley
    In all likelihood, all three models are adjustable between each travel setting. This usually entails pulling the air spring and removing a spacer (or installing one to reduce travel).
    I disagree. I believe you'll have to purchase each model at the specified travel setting.

Edit: I saw a video with Rich Travis claiming you can swap travel the 80/100. I stand corrected. 130 is probably fixed though. I wonder if that means it'll be tuned differently.
    Last edited by mattsavage; 12-12-2010 at 12:02 PM.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

JWA
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    I disagree. I believe you'll have to purchase each model at the specified travel setting.
    The official specs say: "Travel: 80, 100 & 130mm (internally adjustable for 80 & 100mm)"

Thus, at least one of the configurations appears to be adjustable. The way that I read it I'd agree with mullen119. I'll email Manitou and see what they say.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119
    Im pretty sure the 130 is 130 only and the other two can be changed. But your best bet is to email Manitou and ask them to be certain. You can send them something from the website (manitoumtb.com) or the email I get responses from is Manitoutech@hayesbicycle.com.
    That makes no sense at all.

If it is an air fork, 130 can most definitely be dropped down to any travel your heart desires, by placing spacers on the air spring shaft. This is the case with most air forks.

If it is coil, you would need to replace the spring with the spring from either an 80mm or 100mm fork. I don't know much about the spring assemblies, but there may be spacers involved here too.

If anything, it is the 80/100mm travel version that cannot be let out to 130mm. However, the fact that Manitou specs one weight for all three models leads me to believe that they are the same fork with different spacers and/or spring assemblies.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley
    That makes no sense at all.

If it is an air fork, 130 can most definitely be dropped down to any travel your heart desires, by placing spacers on the air spring shaft. This is the case with most air forks.

If it is coil, you would need to replace the spring with the spring from either an 80mm or 100mm fork. I don't know much about the spring assemblies, but there may be spacers involved here too.

If anything, it is the 80/100mm travel version that cannot be let out to 130mm. However, the fact that Manitou specs one weight for all three models leads me to believe that they are the same fork with different spacers and/or spring assemblies.

Manitou forks are not the the same as other forks. They do not have a air fork that is air only, they are air/coil hybrid forks or coil only. No other fork other then the circus can be changed in travel at all, and Im not sure if it can be either. Mantious website still has the 2009 product line on it, so you cant really trust the website.

Just putting a shorter spring in a coil fork does not change the travel of the fork either.

JWA
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I emailed Manitou and received a prompt reply this morning.

The important parts are:

The 2 models of the Circus are Comp and Expert. The Comp is 80 or 100mm
    travel and available in both black and white. The Comp uses a coil with
    a mechanical preload.

The Expert is 80, 100, and 130mm travel in both black and white. It uses
    the same air set-up as the Drake, coil fork with air preload.
    Both the Comp and Expert can be adjusted from 80-100 or vise versa.
    There is a bottom out bumper that can be removed on the comp. rod.
    The Circus documentation is currently being developed. Teardown is just
    like the other forks, taking the casting off first. Once you get the
    comp. rod out, there is a 5mm or 6mm allen bolt that you remove and the
    bumper is there.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by JWA
    I emailed Manitou and received a prompt reply this morning.

The important parts are:
    Sounds right to me. you will love the ABS+ damper. I have a Drake with the ACT air spring that come in the circus and it works really well. Adjusting the shim stack on the ABS+ piston is super simple and worth experimenting with. Best damper you can get in a fork under 500 bucks(and better then some that cost more too)