mtbr member

Any re-building tips for a 2009 RS SID Race fork?

I am going to refurbish my 2009 RS SID Race fork. I'll be installing the WC damper rod, part # 11.4015.297.010. All I've read about it is that it is a great upgrade to the fork. I have a O-ring kit and wondered if anyone out there has any suggestions for me since I will have the fork apart.

I am a big guy, 220 don't ride any BIG jumps, dips or ugly trails, Mostly dirt roads with stutter bumps, sand gravel on top of hardpack, the bike is an Oiz Team dusl suspension with an RP23 shock.

Any ideas, suggestions for oil weights (was going to use the RS recommended 5 wt); or any other info is greatly appreciated!!
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    - Use 80w or heavier synthetic gear oil in the air chamber.

- Use Mobil1 synthetic engine oil for the bath oil in both legs.

- 5wt to 7.5wt suspension oil in the damper. Since you're heavier, you might like a little heavier oil.

- Buy a big syringe and put a 6" tube on it. It makes it much easier to put in the bath oil.

- Buy a 10mm deep socket before starting.

- Check your stanchion seals. If there's a foam ring between the wiper and oil seal, through it away and just pack the space with grease.

- In my opinion the SID doesn't have enough bath oil. Instead of the recommended 5ml, use 15ml.

mtbr member
    Thanks Bad Mechanic I appreciate your time and help. Got the deep 10mm socket. why not wash the foam rings and re-oil, if I may ask, please? I was thinking of going with the 7.5 wt in the damper. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Because when the foam rings are between the oil seal and wiper they're a liability for several reasons:
    - Because the oil bath cannot lubricate them, they dry out pretty quickly, and pulling the wiper up to re-oil them is a pain.
    - The make the stanchions oily, which attracts dirt.
    - Any dirt which gets past the wiper is caught by the foam ring, which then keeps it pressed against the stanchion, which is exactly where you don't want it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    And do yourself a favor and borrow or steal the snap ring tool. . It makes removing those suckers so easy it's criminal. Plus you can use it in anything else that has snap rings/c - clips. All the Reba's and SIDs have those snap rings, and probably most other RS forks.

mtbr member
    Thanks Spunge, yes I already have those. Used to race motorcycles for 11 years and did all my engine re-bulds and engine speed work. Also did all my own car work so have a lot of "non-bike tools like the snap ring pliers.Sold my gas bottles and arc welder, kept all hand tools, drill press, grinder, air tools, all measuring tools, and have made a few of my own tools for working on bikes and components.

mtbr member
    Thanks Bad Mechanic you made some very good points, especially about the foam rings holding the dirt against the stanchions.